The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 12:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Missed Both Free Throws ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
And what about the one about PA announcers a few years ago? Who actually enforces that?
A few years ago, had a high school announcer doing an over-excited, "cheerleader", play by play, as is often done in those summer pro-am games. Mentioned it to my partner, who was the referee, and a highly respected official, between the first and second periods. He seemed to think that we should just ignore it. I guess that he started listening to the announcer in the second period, because going into halftime he told the announcer to knock it off.

One memorable announcement that stuck in my mind, "How can she (visiting player) miss such an easy layup?".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 18, 2019 at 12:48pm.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 12:37pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yada, Yada, Yada ...

Quote:
NFHS POEs are a bunch of hooey.

While it may be true that most NFHS Points of Emphasis are no more than, "Yada. Yada. Yada", some, over the years, have been beneficial: Acknowledging And Granting Timeouts, Protecting The Free Thrower, Hand Checking, and Contact Above The Shoulders (maybe the best one).

I am of the opinion that many of these Points should be permanently etched as rules in the NFHS Rulebook, for all, especially new officials, to study.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 18, 2019 at 02:06pm.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 01:34pm
Do not give a damn!!

Bottom line, call more PC fouls and amazingly players either pass the ball or pull up for a jumper. You do not need a rule or an area to prevent this from happening. Actually, you might cause more problems and inconsistency. Call more PC fouls and penalizing defenders that do nothing wrong. Problem solved.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 01:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Consitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Bottom line, call more PC fouls and amazingly players either pass the ball or pull up for a jumper ... Call more PC fouls ... Problem solved.
That's exactly what we need to do here in Connecticut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In other words, the default calls in Connecticut for close, really tough, train wrecks that occur in the paint seem to be blocking fouls, or nothing, and these default calls are often incorrect.

Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The only thing the RA would lead to, in my area, is incorrect player control fouls and coaches going nuts. We have 20- through 40-year officials that haven't been to a camp or done any self-improvement in decades and aren't trained to officiate from the feet up. They're not going to change overnight and some never will change.

There is nothing the RA can solve at the high school level that can't be solved by correctly adjudicating block/charge plays under the basket as the rule is now, and defaulting to PC on 50/50 plays.

A solution whose only problem is "because college."
Then why did Minnesota and North Dakota choose to implement this rule on their own? Did they consciously seek to copy college basketball, or did they have their own reasons for doing so? Maybe they thought that having people standing in close proximity to the basket and choosing to get themselves run over was such a safety problem that they needed to address it with a rules change, or they might have enough competent officials in those parts to not make a mess out of the restricted area.

I haven't seen many people post about changing the bonus rules. This is surprising, because it is at least the 2nd straight year that changes to the bonus rules appear in the questionnaire.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Then why did Minnesota and North Dakota choose to implement this rule on their own? Did they consciously seek to copy college basketball, or did they have their own reasons for doing so? Maybe they thought that having people standing in close proximity to the basket and choosing to get themselves run over was such a safety problem that they needed to address it with a rules change, or they might have enough competent officials in those parts to not make a mess out of the restricted area.

I haven't seen many people post about changing the bonus rules. This is surprising, because it is at least the 2nd straight year that changes to the bonus rules appear in the questionnaire.
Why don't you go ask people that are involved with those two states? I have no idea why those states made that decision, nor do I care.

Conveniently, you don't mention the fact that 48 other states have not found it necessary to go against the NFHS on this (and 42 states on the shot clock matter). Why do those 2 (8 for shot clock) states have it right?

I don't really care about resetting fouls each quarter and getting rid of 1-and-1. However, everyone I know in NCAA-W loves it.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Burn ...

Quote:
Why don't you go ask people that are involved with those two states?
Do we have any Minnesota officials here on the Forum?

Unfortunately, none of the twelve guys that officiate basketball in Northern Dakota post regularly on the Forum. All twelve still have "Dial-Up" internet.

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 26, 2019 at 10:51am.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Have you ever considered that you are in the minority regarding this? Or maybe officials just don't care one way or the other.

Or have you ever considered there are a lot of veteran officials in this forum who have seen all kinds of rule change proposals that never panned out or came to fruition and simply just don't care what is implemented, just that everything is clearly spelled out by the time preseason clinics start.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 02:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Neither of those states is hotbeds for basketball. Honestly, do not care what those states do any more than I would care what other states do about some rule they want to try. But the NF makes rules that everyone is supposed to agree upon to some extent. And I work college basketball and I really do not care what college basketball does as it relates to high school basketball. I have worked multiple sports over the years and all those sports had different rules from the college ranks. Somehow we function.

Quote:
If they change it great, if they don't great. Not something that really is going to change the game that much IMO. Oh, college is reluctant to change this rule as well. So should we follow their lead?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 02:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Neither of those states is hotbeds for basketball. Honestly, do not care what those states do any more than I would care what other states do about some rule they want to try. But the NF makes rules that everyone is supposed to agree upon to some extent. And I work college basketball and I really do not care what college basketball does as it relates to high school basketball. I have worked multiple sports over the years and all those sports had different rules from the college ranks. Somehow we function.

The State of Illinois has had again this year another player that was in the Final Four that had played high school ball from here. That was the case the last two years that the title game had a team with a player from the IHSA. If my state is not clamoring for all these college rules and the players are functioning at a higher level, I am not convinced we need to change rules just to prepare someone for college.

Quote:
If they change it great, if they don't great. Not something that really is going to change the game that much IMO. Oh, college is reluctant to change this rule as well. So should we follow their lead?

Peace
Old Thu Apr 18, 2019, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Also, NFHS POEs are a bunch of hooey.

How many times was hand checking a POE before they realized people still weren't calling it and a rule change was needed?

What about the "team control during a throw-in is only for foul purposes" mess that seems to be in there every year but people still can't get it right and they won't rewrite the rule?
And here, while it was enforced for a while after the rules were changed, it has largely reverted back to the way it was.

The game, as called in this area, is dramatically different than what you see on nationally televised NCAA games (tourney included). It is much more physical, in general, and things that are almost always called a foul at the NCAA D1 level are criticized here if you call them.
Old Fri Apr 19, 2019, 07:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And what about the one about PA announcers a few years ago? Who actually enforces that?
OhioHSAA

The home announcer going nuts when their team was making a comeback with several 3s in a row made for great atmosphere. Now, the announcer announces the starting lineups at the beginning of the game and the 50/50 ticket at some point in the third quarter.

No announcements of baskets/fouls/timeouts. Nothing.

I've been to several schools in my little corner of Ohio and they all do this.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2019, 05:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
While it may be true that most NFHS Points of Emphasis are no more than, "Yada. Yada. Yada", some, over the years, have been beneficial: Acknowledging And Granting Timeouts, Protecting The Free Thrower, Hand Checking, and Contact Above The Shoulders (maybe the best one).

I am of the opinion that many of these Points should be permanently etched as rules in the NFHS Rulebook, for all, especially new officials, to study.
The fact that these POE dont remain as part of the rule book is exactly why the elbow above the shoulders contact POE is one of the worst POE's in my opinion. Especially given the conversations at the local association level when this came about didnt give me a lot of confidence that not quite a majority understood the POE completely in our meetings.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2019, 10:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Points of Emphasis ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The fact that these POE don't remain as part of the rule book is exactly why the elbow above the shoulders contact POE is one of the worst POE's in my opinion.
This is a problem with any Point of Emphasis that doesn't make it's way into the rulebook.

How is a new official supposed to know about such when there is no mention of such in the current rulebook?

By an oral tradition of old, grizzled, veteran officials sitting around a campfire telling scary stories about old Points of Emphasis to young'uns?

This NFHS issue has always perplexed me.

Same issues with annual interpretations that don't make their way into the current casebook, or with casebook plays that drop out of the current casebook for no apparent rational, or publicized reason.

Why hasn't the NFHS realized that the Mesopotamians invented written language over 5000 years ago and that Gutenberg invented the movable type printing press in fifteenth century?

These were good inventions, the NFHS should use them.

Stupid NFHS.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 20, 2019 at 11:27am.
Old Sat Apr 20, 2019, 11:12am
Esteemed Forum Member

Announcers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Now, the announcer announces the starting lineups at the beginning of the game and the 50/50 ticket at some point in the third quarter. No announcements of baskets/fouls/timeouts. Nothing.
Hopefully the raffle winner isn't announced during a live ball, or he's going to get hammered with double secret probation.

"Nothing" at all about baskets/fouls/timeouts was not the intent of the NFHS guidelines. That's on the State of Ohio, the leagues/conferences, or the individual schools.

For those young'uns who became officials after 2014-15, here's the Point of Emphasis and the followup explanation by the NFHS.

In my opinion, the NFHS went too far with their guidelines.

They had to do something to stop the over-excited, cheerleader, play by play, carnival barker announcers (as in many summer pro-am games), but they threw out the baby with the bathwater with these guidelines.

2014-15 POINT OF EMPHASIS

Announcer Responsibilities. The announcer shall be prohibited from making an announcement
while the clock is running and while the clock is stopped and the ball is live…such as during a
free throw, a throw-in, etc. Doing so could potentially affect communication of coaches or
players, or could be disconcerting.
• The announcer shall be prohibited from interrupting the game through the use of the
microphone unless there is an emergency.
• Announcements or comments shall be made during those times when there is a stoppage of
the clock and the ball is not live, such as time-outs, between quarters, pre-game, half time
and post-game.
• The announcer is allowed to announce basic information that does not potentially affect the
play in general, the players, the coaches or the officials. The announcer’s information is not
official information and could be misinformation shared with all.
• Appropriate training of announcers by school personnel and proper pregame instruction by
the referee are necessary.

May be Announced - Examples:
• Player who scored
• Player charged with foul
• Player attempting free throw
• Team granted a time-out
• Length of time-out: 30 seconds or 60 seconds
• Player entering game
• Team rosters

Shall not be Announced – Examples
• Number of points player scored
• Number of fouls on player
• Number of team fouls
• Number of team time-outs or number remaining
• Time remaining in the quarter/game
• Type of foul or violation
• Emphatic two-point or three-point field goal

The announcer’s role does not include “cheering the home team on” or otherwise inciting the
crowd. Doing so is common at other levels of athletic events, but high school athletics is different
because sports are educationally based. In a very real sense, the public-address announcer at a
high school event is a “Champion of Character.” He/she can influence the atmosphere of the
contest by what is said and how it is said. The announcer who performs professionally promotes
good sportsmanship by what he/she says and how he/she acts upon saying it.

The National Federation has issued new guidelines regarding game announcers.

While the game is in progress, announcers may give basic information such as who scores, who fouls and how many fouls that is on a player, who is shooting free throws and how many free throws, which team is awarded a time out and whether the time out is a full time out or a 30 second time out, which substitute is entering the game and which player is being replaced.

Announcers should not announce things such as "How much time there is left in a period" or "How many time outs a team has left." Also, announcements pertaining to raffles, 50-50 drawings, concession stands, future schedules, etc. - in other words, all those things that are not directly related to the game should only be announced prior to the game, during time outs, intermission, between periods, and after the game.

What they want eliminated are the "carnival barkers" that tend to distract from the actual game and those announcements that would tend to give information that is the responsibility of the teams and coaches (i.e.: how much time is left or how many time outs a team has remaining.). There is no penalty involved. Announcers should be handled the same as scorekeepers and timers who are not in compliance with the spirit of the game.

This information should be covered with the announcer at the table prior to the game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 20, 2019 at 11:53am.