The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 14, 2019, 07:38pm
Official Forum Member

2019-20 NFHS: Rumors/Desires?

It's right around the time of year when the rules committee meets to vote on rules changes. Any rumblings? What do you want to see?

I'd get rid of the seatbelt rule in a heartbeat if I had a choice of one change, and it's not even really close. I can't think of other rules that I hate as much as that one. I doubt it happens despite its inclusion in the questionnaire, but one can dream.

Last edited by SC Official; Sun Apr 14, 2019 at 07:41pm.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:06am
Do not give a damn!!

My only real desire is that they change the BC rule to what the college rule is. It is time to stop with this madness IMO.

I would be fine with other college rules coming to the NF level also like the shot clock so that everyone can find an excuse to complain about that rule.

Mechanically I would like to see for use to go opposite table on fouls. I would like to add a few more signals that are used at other levels.

Otherwise, I could almost not care at all what is changed. At a different part of my career and what rules they play with I will adjust either way.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

For mechanics, I would like to see the NFHS mechanics manual go walk-and-talk. That's about it for me.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

I forgot that this was a mechanics change year, as well.

Yeah, walk-and-talk would be great, but here a lot of people do it anyway. It’s not something the powers-that-be really care about. But a change would silence the few that do get upset.

I’m ambivalent on opposite vs. tableside. I don’t imagine that one even being considered.

I’d also like to see stopping the clock on OOB go away. Too many people like to have the notion that the timer is actually watching for our hand.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:03am
AremRed

1. Changing the goaltending rule to mimic NBA/NCAA-M/NCAA-W/FIBA (every f-ing major rule set btw) where you cannot block the ball once it has touched the backboard. This is an easy rule change, easy to call, easy to write, and it blows my mind they haven't done it.

2. Eliminating the INANE "resumption of play procedure". Putting the ball down is an EASY way to piss off players, coaches, and fans and even if the team is extremely late makes the ref crew look terrible. Give us the option to assess a delay-of-game warning like every other reasonable rule set out there.

3. Eliminating the need for a coach to sit down after a direct or indirect technical foul. I get the reasoning but it pisses off the coaches and makes refs a) less likely to call technical fouls on the coach/bench and b) less likely to have the balls and make the coach sit after the tech. And even if they are told to sit they are terrible at remembering and almost never get a second one for standing.

4. Point of emphasis for schools properly marking coaching box and officials enforcing it. I have seen SO MANY games this year with the floor not marked properly, not all the chairs inside the team area, coaches on the floor yelling at officials, coaches camping at halfcourt to coach offense/defense on other side of the floor, and assistant coaches standing and in one case in my game coming out of the head coaching box to call a play at half court. I heard many times this season "you're the only one to enforce this all year" and that's wrong.

There are other ones: delayed violation for player running OOB along the baseline, re-subbing once the ball has become live instead of sit-a-tick, requiring two horns for replacements intervals and officials calling techs when coaches slow roll a replacement sub, restricted area, shot clock (gonna have way more stoppages due to shitty operators), changing full timeouts to 75 seconds, allowing the headbands with extensions for girls (so dumb that pro and college allow it yet it's a "safety issue" in HS), clarifying the team control rule for fouls during throw-ins only.

But I digress.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:24am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post

4. Point of emphasis for schools properly marking coaching box and officials enforcing it. I have seen SO MANY games this year with the floor not marked properly, not all the chairs inside the team area, coaches on the floor yelling at officials, coaches camping at halfcourt to coach offense/defense on other side of the floor, and assistant coaches standing and in one case in my game coming out of the head coaching box to call a play at half court. I heard many times this season "you're the only one to enforce this all year" and that's wrong.

Your coaches would not like me then.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 11:52am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Your coaches would not like me then.
They don’t like me either.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I forgot that this was a mechanics change year, as well.

Yeah, walk-and-talk would be great, but here a lot of people do it anyway. It’s not something the powers-that-be really care about. But a change would silence the few that do get upset.
This is something that often upsets those locally that have not much else to worry about. I still think we should eventually stop, but I also do not see the big deal if someone is slightly moving. It is kind of like how you signal a directional point and someone cares that you did not give the signal with 4 fingers and a tucked thumb. I had someone at my State Finals games make a comment to me about my "one finger point." No one over us that weekend said a word about it, but I did get an official that knows me (and I respect BTW) send me a text about my signal.

I’m ambivalent on opposite vs. tableside. I don’t imagine that one even being considered.[/QUOTE]

It won't be. I just wish we would stop trying to placate coaches after calls. We are not going to change their minds.

Quote:
I’d also like to see stopping the clock on OOB go away. Too many people like to have the notion that the timer is actually watching for our hand.
It is done at the Men's college level because many people do not do it properly. I get it and used to think the same way, but that split second I think gets most officials to slow down a bit. And because it is a requirement, you see fewer mistakes IMO at the college level. Of course, not everyone has this problem, but I would not want to see that go away.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
1. Changing the goaltending rule to mimic NBA/NCAA-M/NCAA-W/FIBA (every f-ing major rule set btw) where you cannot block the ball once it has touched the backboard. This is an easy rule change, easy to call, easy to write, and it blows my mind they haven't done it.
I do not totally disagree, just think officials at those levels get this wrong still. I have seen so many plays at the NCAA level where the ball touched by the defender first and then hits the backboard and it is called. I still think the current rule fits better and honestly wish the NCAA would get rid of this on the Men's side. I get it, leave the ball alone but there is still too much of a debate over this call that I feel was not there before also.

Quote:
2. Eliminating the INANE "resumption of play procedure". Putting the ball down is an EASY way to piss off players, coaches, and fans and even if the team is extremely late makes the ref crew look terrible. Give us the option to assess a delay-of-game warning like every other reasonable rule set out there.
NCAA Men's still has this procedure for the most part (which we do not use the delays there either). It is rarely used by anyone at any level. And in my experience you do it once, it usually shut down the delays.

Quote:
3. Eliminating the need for a coach to sit down after a direct or indirect technical foul. I get the reasoning but it pisses off the coaches and makes refs a) less likely to call technical fouls on the coach/bench and b) less likely to have the balls and make the coach sit after the tech. And even if they are told to sit they are terrible at remembering and almost never get a second one for standing.
I do not care about this either way. If they change it great. If they don't change it I will sleep the same. It would eliminate one more thing to talk to a coach about if we give a T. But we have to get officials to call the T in the first place, then we can worry about what they do afterward IMO.

Quote:

There are other ones: delayed violation for player running OOB along the baseline, re-subbing once the ball has become live instead of sit-a-tick, requiring two horns for replacements intervals and officials calling techs when coaches slow roll a replacement sub, restricted area, shot clock (gonna have way more stoppages due to shitty operators), changing full timeouts to 75 seconds, allowing the headbands with extensions for girls (so dumb that pro and college allow it yet it's a "safety issue" in HS), clarifying the team control rule for fouls during throw-ins only.
Delay for running OOB would be a good change. Also that line "You are the first person to enforce....blah, blah, blah" is just a line given to make it seem like you are being overly technical. It is a lie much of the time. I know officials that have enforced rules in the game right before an that still comes out of their mouth. I would in theory love to have a shot clock in HS, but we are going to be correcting so many mistakes and games will be influenced by all those mistakes that it will become a real distraction. If we cannot get good people to run these clocks at the small college level, we are really going to have issues at the HS level. I would rather not have the headache, but it would be good if run properly, even though I do not think it is going to change the game that much in this era.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I would be completely content with extending the coaching box to 38 feet. Heck I'd even be in favor of the NBA rule where there is no "box" but once coaches cross the division line it's an automatic T.

I understand the NFHS just increased the box to 28 feet two years ago so it's not going to happen, but it's a losing battle trying to get officials to strictly police coaches being outside the 28-foot line but otherwise behaving. The NFHS would have been better off adding the extra 14 feet toward the division line rather than the endline.

We strictly enforce the restricted area in football yet in basketball too many officials elect to "leave 'em alone as long as they're coaching." Not identical sports but it's not going to change no matter how many POEs come out.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It won't be. I just wish we would stop trying to placate coaches after calls. We are not going to change their minds.
I do agree with this.

WAY too many officials spend too much time talking to and trying to placate coaches.

WAY too many coaches want unnecessary explanations.

I believe that's why NCAA-M elected to start going opposite, however many years ago that was.
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:02pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

We strictly enforce the restricted area in football yet in basketball too many officials elect to "leave 'em alone as long as they're coaching." Not identical sports but it's not going to change no matter how many POEs come out.
I get that point, but I do not think we are that strict about the coaching box in football or Restricted Area. We have many coaches on the field when they are not supposed to be. It is just more acceptable to enforce those rules if violated. We have a different cat that coaches basketball where they feel we should be doing other things. Also, keep in mind in football we have a play and then we reset. In basketball, the game is constantly going much of the time. I think that leads to a different attitude about when those rules are violated in those respective sports.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I do agree with this.

WAY too many officials spend too much time talking to and trying to placate coaches.

WAY too many coaches want unnecessary explanations.

I believe that's why NCAA-M elected to start going opposite, however many years ago that was.
I believe NCAA Men's went to tableside for a year or two and scrapped it. And the reasoning at the time, if I remember, was too much interaction with coaches. I remember some did not like the change back to opposite table, but I have not heard much complaining about it since the change in my world.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

While Strolling Through The Park One Day ...

NFHS 2018-19 Basketball Rules Changes came out on on May 16, 2018 last year.

A reminder of what the NFHS may be thinking about:

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1030020
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 15, 2019, 01:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slow It Down ...

Quote:
Hopefully those "people" aren't officials. Because officials know the real reason why high school officials do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is done at the Men's college level because many people do not do it properly. I get it and used to think the same way, but that split second I think gets most officials to slow down a bit.
That split second gives the high school officials a chance to see what their partner's have on double whistles. Two open hands. One open hand and one closed fist. One open hand and one held ball signal. The split second allows some eye contact and communication before another signal is given, like a direction, or a preliminary foul signal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Apr 15, 2019 at 02:54pm.