The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 11:30am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
*) Eliminate captains meetings. A totally, unnecessary time waster.
*) Meet both coaches simultaneously. This would be a nice time saver and prohibit the chance of perceived bias/favoritism. If still have captains, have them attend this meeting too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
In my state the captains meeting is mandatory, as well as having the coach initial the official scorebook, At the captains meeting both head coaches are required to attend
It is mandatory here in Illinois and it is required that both coaches and captains attend the same meeting. I doubt that is going to go away even if the NF said something about this (which my understanding is not mandated by the NF or the nature of that meeting). And we must address sportsmanship in that meeting. And now we must address who is the Approved Medical Professional with the coaches also (State law).

I also do not think it is a waste of time. It is a way to set the tone and they can see you up close and as human.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 11:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pregame Meeting ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is mandatory here in Illinois and it is required that both coaches and captains attend the same meeting. I doubt that is going to go away even if the NF said something about this (which my understanding is not mandated by the NF or the nature of that meeting). And we must address sportsmanship in that meeting. And now we must address who is the Approved Medical Professional with the coaches also (State law). I also do not think it is a waste of time. It is a way to set the tone and they can see you up close and as human.
JRutledge is correct that the NFHS doesn't mandate a specific meeting like many of us do, but the NFHS does require a few components of what most of us do at this meeting:

Referee’s Pregame Duties
2-2-4 Be responsible for having each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.
2-2-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

Official’s General Duties
2-7-1 Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game.

We don't have to address the Approved Medical Professional here in Connecticut because, by state law, all coaches have to be trained in concussion protocol.

I agree with JRutledge that the meeting sets the proper tone for the game. My son, a sociologist, often talks about the importance of rituals and traditions in our culture.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 30, 2019 at 03:41pm.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 12:53pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge is correct that the NFHS doesn't mandate a specific meeting like many of us do, but the NFHS does require a few components of what most of us do at this meeting:

Referee’s Pregame Duties
2-2-4 Be responsible for having each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.
2-2-5: Verify with the head coach, prior to each contest, that his/her team member’s uniforms and equipment are legal and will be worn properly, and that all participants will exhibit proper sporting behavior throughout the contest.

Official’s General Duties
2-7-1 Notifying the captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game.
For the record, the only one done during the Head Coach-Captain's meeting here in Illinois (or Indiana) is the highlighted one above.

Quote:
We don't have to address the Approved Medical Professional here in Connecticut because, by state law, all coaches have to be trained in concussion protocol, first aid, and CPR.
And the AMP is not about doing CPR, it is a law that means that if we send someone out for concussion-like symptoms, only an AMP can approve them to play in the game. If there is no AMP at the game or for the team, then if we send them out the coach is not allowed to bring them back into the game. Also, the AMP has to be listed by each school through the IHSA so when we file a report telling of an incident where a player is removed from the game because of concussion-like symptoms, they IHSA and the school take over with the procedure of what was done correctly or not. Again, all by state law, not our burden ultimately after that. It is also encouraged when a player is removed and let back in, we report who told us allowed the player to play.

Peace
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut ...

Quote:
For the record, the only one done during the Head Coach-Captain's meeting here in Illinois (or Indiana) is the highlighted one above.
From my pregame: Coaches and captains meeting at 5:00: Uniforms and equipment are legal, and will be worn properly. All participants will exhibit good sportsmanship.

Before the halftime intermission, the referee tells the timekeeper to notify both teams, and the officials, when there's three minutes left in the intermission.

Pregame? I guess that the game clock counting down addresses the intent of the rule.

Per new IAABO mechanics, we no longer specifically notify the individual captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game, we just sound the whistle, and toss the ball for the jump ball to start the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 30, 2019 at 03:43pm.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 01:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Concussion Protocol ...

Quote:
.. the AMP... is a law that means that if we send someone out for concussion-like symptoms, only an AMP can approve them to play in the game. If there is no AMP at the game or for the team, then if we send them out the coach is not allowed to bring them back into the game. Also, the AMP has to be listed by each school through the IHSA so when we file a report telling of an incident where a player is removed from the game because of concussion-like symptoms, they IHSA and the school take over with the procedure of what was done correctly or not. Again, all by state law, not our burden ultimately after that. It is also encouraged when a player is removed and let back in, we report who told us allowed the player to play.
We're fortunate here in Connecticut that our State Legislature mandated that all interscholastic coaches (all levels, middle school, freshman, junior varsity, varsity, head, assistants) be trained and certified in concussion protocol, and are allowed to make all decisions regarding such.

Originally the State Legislature also wanted all interscholastic sports officials to be trained and certified in concussion protocol. Our state interscholastic sports governing body's officials association attended public hearings at the Capitol and put the kibosh on that idea. Well worth the $13.00 we individually pay for annual dues to belong to the state interscholastic sports governing body's officials association to lobby on behalf of all officials in such matters (plus free admission to all regular season interscholastic sports, free admission to all post season interscholastic tournament basketball games).

Note: Our state interscholastic sports governing body mandates that all interscholastic coaches, at all levels, head, and assistants, be trained and certified in concussion protocol, first aid, and CPR. Coaches can handle many typical health matters when a trainer is not available (i.e. middle school games). A certified trainer would certainly be better, but the added expense of a certified trainer is too much for many school programs (i.e. middle schools), and the coach has to suffice.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 30, 2019 at 03:11pm.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 01:44pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Per new IAABO mechanics, we no longer specifically notify the individual captains when play is about to begin at the start of the game, we just tell everybody, "Here we go", or something similar, before the jump ball toss.
Don't you just blow your whistle?
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 01:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Black Line All The Way Around ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Don't you just blow your whistle?
That will certainly get their attention.

Thank God IAABO made the change (The tossing official on the jump ball no longer checks for readiness with the captains).

Realistically, no longer any reason to ask for "one starting speaking captain from each team, what's your number (under warmup)" at the pregame meeting.

I've never asked, but I've had plenty of partners who have asked.

How often do we get 3-3-E request (captain may request a defensive match-up if three or more substitutes from the same team enter during an opportunity to substitute)?

How many officials won't talk to "any" player who is courteous?

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu May 02, 2019 at 12:44pm.
Old Tue Apr 30, 2019, 05:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

About stopping the clock.

I was at a major conference's officiating camp. It was made very clear that we must "stop the clock" on all dead ball situations. It was even advocated because it gives you a moment to figure out what you are going to do instead of just pointing and then going in the wrong direction.

Now that is NCAA/CCA Mechanics and rules taking place but it is clear that "stopping the clock" is not going away if I just went by the attitude shared with the campers. HS officials are not as trained or even as experienced in many cases (even the younger officials).

Peace
Old Wed May 01, 2019, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I also do not think it is a waste of time. It is a way to set the tone and they can see you up close and as human.
You could have something there. As a player (captain), I was always discouraged by the meeting as it took preparation time from me and the content of what was said we already heard too many times. It was irrelevant. I find that most players today feel, or at least act, similarly. The whole team has to be disrupted to call for captains and have various players try to locate them. Yawn.

Quote:
Referee’s Pregame Duties
These are hilarious. In my entire career I have neither ever notified the teams about 3 minutes remaining in the intermission, nor have I witnessed any other official do that. Funny though, I will never forget one MS game in which my son was playing. Nobody notified the teams at half. One team came out in time but not my son's. The officials gave my son's team a technical foul. internally, I came unglued as I knew that the officials certainly made no attempt to notify the teams and they were adjudicating improperly. How hard would it have been to run to the locker room to get a team that obviously was not notified? And T in MS for this? Get real.

Verifying with a coach about equipment is ridiculous. I am yet to witness a coach say "no" when asked if they were properly equipped. Their answer is irrelevant. And, what would you do if they answered "no"? Not start the game? When in those positions and hearing coaches asked, the standard response is "they should be".

Quote:
My son, a sociologist, often talks about the importance of rituals and traditions in our culture.
Have him ask the family members of those that were burned at the stake about the importance of rituals and traditions.

Sure, some are important, but just because it is a ritual/tradition, does not make it important by default.
Old Wed May 01, 2019, 07:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

No Flowers At A Wedding ...

Quote:
Have him ask the family members of those that were burned at the stake about the importance of rituals and traditions.
Enjoy blowing out the birthday candles on your birthday omelet, and singing Stayin' Alive during the seventh inning stretch of a baseball game.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 01, 2019 at 07:57pm.
Old Wed May 01, 2019, 07:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Minute Warning ...

Quote:
In my entire career I have neither ever notified the teams about 3 minutes remaining in the intermission, nor have I witnessed any other official do that.
Neither have I, over almost forty years. The rule states that it is the responsibility of the referee to have each team notified three minutes before each half is to begin.

We don't notify the teams ourselves, but simply have the timekeepers do it. If I'm the referee, when I grab my jacket at the beginning of the halftime intermission, I just say to the timekeeper, "Notify both teams and the officials when there are three minutes left in halftime".

However, I will admit that many timekeepers are negligent in doing this, even when asked.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed May 01, 2019 at 08:13pm.
Old Wed May 01, 2019, 07:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Ask ???

Quote:
Verifying with a coach about equipment is ridiculous. I am yet to witness a coach say "no" when asked if they were properly equipped. Their answer is irrelevant. And, what would you do if they answered "no"? Not start the game? When in those positions and hearing coaches asked, the standard response is "they should be".
Why ask? Who says we have to ask? I don't ask. I mention it and then point out any visible problems that I might have observed pregame, and then tell the coach to take care of said problems before the game starts.

Headbands and wristbands are usually easy. If the players have warmups on it may be impossible to observe other problems pregame, but if we know that some problems do exist, they can be taken care of by the coach pregame, otherwise some starters or substitutes may be delayed getting into the game.

Old Wed May 01, 2019, 08:01pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disconnect ...

Quote:
In my entire career I have neither ever notified the teams about 3 minutes remaining in the intermission, nor have I witnessed any other official do that ... MS game in which my son was playing. Nobody notified the teams at half ... The officials gave my son's team a technical foul. ... I knew that the officials certainly made no attempt to notify the teams and they were adjudicating improperly.
There seems to be a disconnect with what you don't do as an official and what you expect other officials to do when you're a basketball parent.

Old Thu May 02, 2019, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why ask? Who says we have to ask?
Some states make it a requirement. And, it has more to do with any required safety equipment, and getting the burden (at least in some partial legal theory) off of the officials.
Old Thu May 02, 2019, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In my entire career I have neither ever notified the teams about 3 minutes remaining in the intermission, nor have I witnessed any other official do that.
The schools around here simply have the timer sound the horn three times when the clock reaches 3 minutes.