The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Co Head Coaches

Heres a good one for you fellow officials.
I have 3 Varsity Girls HS school games with the same team this year.
I discover from looking on line the they have decided to hire a new coach this year.... Fine except they hired what they call "Co-Head Coaches". Two coaches that the school calls Head Coach. How do you handle this during the game?
Assisitants have to remain seated and cannot call time out, but in this case they are 2 Head Coaches. My incling is to make sure they know that one has to act as an assitant during game day. I guess if they go along we have no issues, but what if NOT?
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Ask them which ONE will be the head coach for this game. Then treat the other as an assistant. I've had this with several varsity teams and it was not a problem once we did this.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:39pm
Esteemed Forum Member

What's Your Number, Are You Starting ???

In the pregame captains/coaches/officials meeting, after asking who the speaking captain will be, ask who the speaking head coach will be.

Then tell everybody that it's the blue line all the way around, not just halfway around, but all the way around.

What if they're identical cousins? It could be the second coming of The Patty Duke Show, with all those hilarious crazy hijinks and shenanigans.

(Young'uns: Look it up on the Google.)

It's working for Hawaii 50, Magnum PI, MacGyver, Murphy Brown, and Will and Grace.

I already know, I'm a baaaaad boy (with apologies to Lou Costello).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 01:21pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

"Which one of you will be standing tonight?"
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 12:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Musical Coaches ...

Didn't we have a discussion a few years ago about a situation where the head coach leaves mid-game due to a family emergency, and the assistant coach wants to take over as head coach, with all privileges, for the rest of the game.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1015051
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Nov 16, 2018 at 01:02pm.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

I am pretty sure there is a case play about this but don't have my book handy.

Regardless, there is no such thing as co-head coaches. They need to decide before the game starts who will be the head coach on that particular night. S/he is the only one with coaching box privileges, the ability to request timeout, and the normal leeway that goes with being a head coach as it pertains to interacting with officials.

For all intents and purposes, the other is treated as an assistant and will act as such. They may not switch who is the head coach throughout the game, and they may not both utilize the coaching box. The standing head coach is the one who inherits indirect Ts for bench misconduct.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 01:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Whac-A-Mole ...

They can have seven head coaches if they want.

It will be lots of fun.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In the pregame captains/coaches/officials meeting, after asking who the speaking captain will be, ask who the speaking head coach will be.

[/IMG]
In the IAABO world, no more requirement to ask who will be the speaking captain.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpoli View Post
In the IAABO world, no more requirement to ask who will be the speaking captain.
He didn't use blue text, but he was being sarcastic.
Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 02:43pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wait, How Much ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
.. there is no such thing as co-head coaches.
Tell that to the school system's payroll office. Even better, tell that to both of them after they get their checks.

Old Fri Nov 16, 2018, 02:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Wang Chung, 1986) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpoli View Post
I've lived in the IAABO Universe for almost four decades, and I've never asked. I'll talk to anybody, even the sophomore down at the end of the bench, as long as they speak to me politely.

Before my jump ball, "Everybody ready? Let's have fun tonight".

Old Tue Nov 27, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I've lived in the IAABO Universe for almost four decades, and I've never asked. I'll talk to anybody, even the sophomore down at the end of the bench, as long as they speak to me politely.

Before my jump ball, "Everybody ready? Let's have fun tonight".
I actually agree with Billy. I don't care who the speaking captain is, never had to "find" him during the game to discuss anything, and never seen a partner either.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 07:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I actually agree with Billy. I don't care who the speaking captain is, never had to "find" him during the game to discuss anything, and never seen a partner either.
You only talk to the speaking captain about very specific stuff like match-up requests after multiple substitutions. Nothing in the rules says you cannot talk to a player you want to or need to as an official. I have had captains try to tell me, "I am the captain so I can ask you questions...." No, that just means I can ignore you the same way I do the other players that complain about something.

Peace
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

I don't even remember who the captains are once we dismiss the pregame meeting, and I certainly don't remember who the "speaking captain" is when the R asks (I never ask when I'm the R).

I'll talk to any player that is respectful and deal appropriately with any that isn't.