The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Co Head Coaches (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104145-co-head-coaches.html)

rbruno Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:30pm

Co Head Coaches

Heres a good one for you fellow officials.
I have 3 Varsity Girls HS school games with the same team this year.
I discover from looking on line the they have decided to hire a new coach this year.... Fine except they hired what they call "Co-Head Coaches". Two coaches that the school calls Head Coach. How do you handle this during the game?
Assisitants have to remain seated and cannot call time out, but in this case they are 2 Head Coaches. My incling is to make sure they know that one has to act as an assitant during game day. I guess if they go along we have no issues, but what if NOT?

BayStateRef Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:35pm

Ask them which ONE will be the head coach for this game. Then treat the other as an assistant. I've had this with several varsity teams and it was not a problem once we did this.

BillyMac Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:39pm

What's Your Number, Are You Starting ???

In the pregame captains/coaches/officials meeting, after asking who the speaking captain will be, ask who the speaking head coach will be.

Then tell everybody that it's the blue line all the way around, not just halfway around, but all the way around.

What if they're identical cousins? It could be the second coming of The Patty Duke Show, with all those hilarious crazy hijinks and shenanigans.

(Young'uns: Look it up on the Google.)

It's working for Hawaii 50, Magnum PI, MacGyver, Murphy Brown, and Will and Grace.

I already know, I'm a baaaaad boy (with apologies to Lou Costello).

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.T...=0&w=273&h=162

UNIgiantslayers Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46pm

"Which one of you will be standing tonight?"

BillyMac Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:59pm

Musical Coaches ...

Didn't we have a discussion a few years ago about a situation where the head coach leaves mid-game due to a family emergency, and the assistant coach wants to take over as head coach, with all privileges, for the rest of the game.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1015051

SC Official Fri Nov 16, 2018 01:22pm

I am pretty sure there is a case play about this but don't have my book handy.

Regardless, there is no such thing as co-head coaches. They need to decide before the game starts who will be the head coach on that particular night. S/he is the only one with coaching box privileges, the ability to request timeout, and the normal leeway that goes with being a head coach as it pertains to interacting with officials.

For all intents and purposes, the other is treated as an assistant and will act as such. They may not switch who is the head coach throughout the game, and they may not both utilize the coaching box. The standing head coach is the one who inherits indirect Ts for bench misconduct.

BillyMac Fri Nov 16, 2018 01:25pm

Whac-A-Mole ...

They can have seven head coaches if they want.

It will be lots of fun.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.2...=0&w=254&h=163

joelpoli Fri Nov 16, 2018 01:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026114)
In the pregame captains/coaches/officials meeting, after asking who the speaking captain will be, ask who the speaking head coach will be.

[/IMG]

In the IAABO world, no more requirement to ask who will be the speaking captain.

SC Official Fri Nov 16, 2018 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpoli (Post 1026121)
In the IAABO world, no more requirement to ask who will be the speaking captain.

He didn't use blue text, but he was being sarcastic. :D

BillyMac Fri Nov 16, 2018 02:43pm

Wait, How Much ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1026119)
.. there is no such thing as co-head coaches.

Tell that to the school system's payroll office. Even better, tell that to both of them after they get their checks.

BillyMac Fri Nov 16, 2018 02:51pm

Everybody Have Fun Tonight (Wang Chung, 1986) …

Quote:

Originally Posted by joelpoli (Post 1026121)

I've lived in the IAABO Universe for almost four decades, and I've never asked. I'll talk to anybody, even the sophomore down at the end of the bench, as long as they speak to me politely.

Before my jump ball, "Everybody ready? Let's have fun tonight".

deecee Tue Nov 27, 2018 02:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026128)
I've lived in the IAABO Universe for almost four decades, and I've never asked. I'll talk to anybody, even the sophomore down at the end of the bench, as long as they speak to me politely.

Before my jump ball, "Everybody ready? Let's have fun tonight".

I actually agree with Billy. I don't care who the speaking captain is, never had to "find" him during the game to discuss anything, and never seen a partner either.

JRutledge Thu Nov 29, 2018 07:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1026438)
I actually agree with Billy. I don't care who the speaking captain is, never had to "find" him during the game to discuss anything, and never seen a partner either.

You only talk to the speaking captain about very specific stuff like match-up requests after multiple substitutions. Nothing in the rules says you cannot talk to a player you want to or need to as an official. I have had captains try to tell me, "I am the captain so I can ask you questions...." No, that just means I can ignore you the same way I do the other players that complain about something.

Peace

SC Official Thu Nov 29, 2018 09:39am

I don't even remember who the captains are once we dismiss the pregame meeting, and I certainly don't remember who the "speaking captain" is when the R asks (I never ask when I'm the R).

I'll talk to any player that is respectful and deal appropriately with any that isn't.