The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Cheerleaders on the baseline in a double file formation

I was texting with my buddy about this last night, as he had a situation in his game and it's becoming more and more of a pet peeve of mine. Here's his situation:

Away cheerleaders along the baseline lined up two deep in a staggered formation. Here's my best drawing:

x x x x x
x x x x
-------------|---------------------

Vertical line is the lane line. Multiple times during the girls' game, he comes close to stepping on a foot as he's at the L and has very little space to move in that area. Start of boys game, first time down, he steps on one's foot. They are just NOT moving at all, standing their ground in a way that Patton would admire. He has enough and says something to the effect of "girls, we're not doing this all night. You've got to go single file." They don't move and he hears them making some smartass comments among themselves. He ignores it and moves on as game action increases.

A few possessions later, he steps on the foot again and looks at the girl and she STARES HIM DOWN!!! He stopped the game, went to game management and told them they weren't starting until those girls were single file. Coach of away cheerleaders gives management a hard time, but agrees. He said they still were not single file and there was still not much room to move.

I told him after the first time I asked and they didn't move, I'm getting them off the court. Any thoughts on how you'd handle it?

I don't understand why in the world they insist on going two wide on a baseline that doesn't have much room in the first place. It just drives me insane, and my patience for that is really thin for some reason to start this year.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 11:12am
Courageous When Prudent

I run full speed towards them with my head turned back towards the court. At 6' 5"/250+, they get the message.

First time, I politely TELL them they need to be outside the 3-pt line or completely off the neutral zone (if there is one) on the end line. That doesn't work, I'm going to game mgmt or the cheer coach. If that doesn't get the job done, I employ the tactic in the first sentence of this post.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Sis Boom Bah ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I don't understand why in the world they insist on going two wide on a baseline that doesn't have much room in the first place.
Because that's the way they practice this.

I'm not allowing any situation to develop that would put the officials, the players, or the cheerleaders at physical risk.

If there's room for a single line, then that's what I would tell them to do. If not, I'd tell them to vacate the endline.

If the cheerleader coach tells me that the cheerleaders have been allowed to cheer on the endline in a double file in previous games, then I'll tell the coach that I don't care because I'm in charge tonight.

https://youtu.be/dOKwTYOfrDU
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 28, 2018 at 12:36pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

In Massachusetts cheerleads are not allowed on the endline at all. Should be a NHSF rule. Easy to get them out. Tell game management and explain that it is not "safe" for all involved. Even when these are not rules this always gets attention.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
In Massachusetts cheerleads are not allowed on the endline at all. Should be a NHSF rule. Easy to get them out. Tell game management and explain that it is not "safe" for all involved. Even when these are not rules this always gets attention.
Why should it be a rule? Why is it not safe? There are gyms here where there is 10+ feet on the endline (one with over 30'). There is plenty of room in some. In other gyms, not so much. If there is going to be a rule, it should be related to the space involved.....that 3 (or 4 or 5) feet along the endline must be clear. Behind that, who cares.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Wed Nov 28, 2018 at 06:01pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 12:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

One Size Doesn't Fit All ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbruno View Post
In Massachusetts cheerleaders are not allowed on the endline at all. Should be a NFHS rule.
We have a few fieldhouses (with an indoor track around the basketball court) here in my little corner of Connecticut where there's actually more than fifty feet of empty space from the endline to the wall, with far, far less space along the sidelines (once the bleachers are pulled out).

The cheerleaders will often retrieve the ball when it heads out of bounds toward the wall behind the endline in these fieldhouses.

Let's continue to handle this problem case by case, gym by gym. That's why we get paid the big bucks.

As the Crazy Russian Hacker says, "Safety is number one priority”.

https://youtu.be/Far6hbt3CCA
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 28, 2018 at 01:03pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 01:05pm
This IS My Social Life

When stacked cheerleaders are a problem, ask game management to solve it. There's nothing worse than an official getting into it with either adolescents or cheer coaches. If it is the safety issue you state, don't resume the game until it's rectified.

Stacked Cheerleaders

Last edited by Freddy; Wed Nov 28, 2018 at 01:19pm.
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

If at work don't google Stacked Cheerleaders

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Nov 28, 2018, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

FHSAA (Florida) Rule 33.2:

33.2.1 Cheerleaders must remain in their seats along the sidelines at all times when the ball is alive or a match is in progress.

33.2.2 Officials are responsible for the enforcement of this regulation. First offense – warning; Second and subsequent offense – technical foul...

Without that rule, I'd move them for safety reasons.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Cheerleaders on the baseline in a double file formation

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
33.2.1 Cheerleaders must remain in their seats along the sidelines at all times when the ball is alive...

If the ball is alive, I’m getting a new ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
If the ball is alive, I’m getting a new ball.
Sadly, I copied that straight from the FHSAA basketball manual.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 10:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

A Basketball Match ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Cheerleaders must remain in their seats along the sidelines at all times when the ball is alive or a match is in progress.
https://youtu.be/QuoKNZjr8_U

Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

"Officials are responsible for the enforcement of this regulation. First offense – warning; Second and subsequent offense – technical foul..."

Sure, let's add this to the officials' responsibilities.

What an inane mechanism, giving warnings and technicals. If the concern is safety, there should never be a "second or subsequent offense." Get the game administrator to address the problem and don't restart the game until it's safe to do so.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
"Officials are responsible for the enforcement of this regulation. First offense – warning; Second and subsequent offense – technical foul..."

Sure, let's add this to the officials' responsibilities.

What an inane mechanism, giving warnings and technicals. If the concern is safety, there should never be a "second or subsequent offense." Get the game administrator to address the problem and don't restart the game until it's safe to do so.
But at least with this policy, officials have explicit backing so some whiny cheer coach can't argue "There's nothing that says we have to sit in the stands." And if it gets to the point where a T is issued, I bet it's never an issue at that school again. And chances are that AD's are well aware of this policy so officials don't even have to get involved.

I agree that we shouldn't be "responsible" for this, but this is something I personally would have no problem enforcing.
Old Thu Nov 29, 2018, 12:33pm
beware big brother

I subscribe to Raymond's first philosophy. After the first one gets knocked on her ass, it is amazing how fast the rest of them get out of the way for the remainder of the game.