The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

I had a similar situation in a rec league game a while back. We resolved it by letting one coach have the first half and the other coach had the second half.
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Wink

DO NOT ALLOW IT! The HEAD coach is the only person you should see walking the sideline AND the only person that you should have to deal with concerning the game. If an assistant coach is allowed to get up, question calls, etc., you will most definitely run into problems. By the way, if an assistant does act in this manner, manage the situation right away; don't let it go. Simply tell the Head coach what you expect of his bench personnel. If the Head coach doesn't heed your warning, then assess a Technical foul. I guarantee that you won't have to worry about the situation the rest of the game.
--TGR
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 01:17am
In Memoriam

Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious on 01-14-2000 12:46 AM
In our league we have brothers that coach a Varsity Boys team. They consider themselves co-head coaches and feel that they can share the coaching box and be standing at the same time. Your thoughts please!

If they are dress alike twins, I might let 'em do it.
mick

Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

In our league we have brothers that coach a Varsity Boys team. They consider themselves co-head coaches and feel that they can share the coaching box and be standing at the same time. Your thoughts please!
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 03:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Not going to happen! If one wants to be head coach on Friday and the other on Saturday that would be OK.

Look in the rule book rule 1 section 13 (Bench Location) page 13 and rule 10 section 5 (Coaches' Rule) page 60 No where does it say Head Coaches' in conjunction with the coaching box.

Good Luck

------------------
Don
Old Fri Jan 14, 2000, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

I guess I have stuck more assistant coaches in the last couple of years because they want to use the coaching box when the head coach takes a seat. I will not allow it. Only one head coach in a game. I have allowed two coaches in 4th - 6th grade, for obvious reasons. I have politely told assistants to sit down and quit officiating. "Your coach may need your help, but I sure don't" is a normal comment I give. I have enough trouble with the head coach chewing off my _ear. Later.
Jerry
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 03:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Here's how to handle it. When both stand up, call a direct on one of them (pick one) and say it's because only one coach can be up. When they tell you they both are the head coach, tell them that's fine, but now they both get an indirect for the direct and that totals 3 and since they both are head coaches they both are ejected.

I know it's illogical, but I'm curious as to what they would say. If anyone tries it, let me know.
Old Wed Jan 19, 2000, 04:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett on 01-19-2000 02:14 PM
Here's how to handle it. When both stand up, call a direct on one of them (pick one) and say it's because only one coach can be up. When they tell you they both are the head coach, tell them that's fine, but now they both get an indirect for the direct and that totals 3 and since they both are head coaches they both are ejected.

I know it's illogical, but I'm curious as to what they would say. If anyone tries it, let me know.

???????????? Try a direct on one which is an inderect on the other and that way they both have to sit the rest of the game. We'll eject the third game we have them.:-)
Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 01:25am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by Just Curious on 01-14-2000 12:46 AM

One you give one T, since they are "co", that ,means they get two.
Team B shoots four shots + the ball and one of them has to leave, 2 directs since they ar "co" and in the same box. I wonder what they would say to you if you told this nonsense as soon as you saw them do that?

Just kidding, but only one coach in the box.

Old Thu Jan 20, 2000, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Preventative officiating! When you see two different guys (or gals) standing and coaching, find out who the head coach is for that game, plain and simple, then ask that head coach to be sure he/she is the only coach standing. Nothing fancy needed--multiple "T's", letting one be head in the first half and the other in second half, etc. Just let the ONE head coach know what you expect, then enforce it as needed. A "T" should be a last resort, or a response to a situation you can't let go unpenalized.