The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 12, 2018, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
My son's school is sponsored by a sports company, and they are given a new set of uniforms each year--sized, of course, to the varsity. That set, with the extra long current style shorts, get handed down to JV the next year, and then to the frosh. If the frosh can't roll them, I think a couple of those guards will have shorts dragging on the floor. . . .
And as such, we don't enforce this item with freshman teams. This is applied to varsity teams that have proper uniforms and have no valid reason to roll them other than to just wanting to.
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 11:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

Looks Like I'll Be Checking Out The Waistbands Of Teenage Female Players ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... we're seeing more and more girls rolling their waistbands every season. I have an email out to my local interpreter, and the state interpreter, asking about enforcement of this recent annual interpretation. I hope that we can just ignore. I really don't relish the idea of checking out the rear waistband of teenage female players to see if the waistband is rolled so that a logo is showing.
Quote:
Got a response. Actually no response. It's on its way up the IAABO ladder, possibly all the way up to the IAABO Grand Imperial Poobah.

We had our first meeting of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes last night. Connecticut will be enforcing the NFHS edict against players rolling their waistbands. Just what we need, another Fashion Police issue that coaches, players, and many officials will ignore.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 01:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
We had our first meeting of the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes last night. Connecticut will be enforcing the NFHS edict against players rolling their waistbands. Just what we need, another Fashion Police issue that coaches, players, and many officials will ignore.
Send them out the game and they'll start complying.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 04:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

True Colors (Cyndi Lauper, 1986) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Send them out the game and they'll start complying.
Absolutely, that will work great with me there on a Friday night, but when another official shows up on the next Tuesday night and ignores the issue, the vicious cycle will start all over again. Same as jerseys tucked in, undershirts, headbands, wrist bands, sleeves, compression shorts, tights, jewelry, etc.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 04:30pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Absolutely, that will work great with me there on a Friday night, but when another official shows up on the next Tuesday night and ignores the issue, the vicious cycle will start all over again. Same as jerseys tucked in, undershirts, headbands, wrist bands, sleeves, compression shorts, tights, jewelry, etc.

You can only control what goes on in your games.

Old Thu Oct 18, 2018, 06:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Overly Officious Official ...

Quote:
I'm just getting sick of being the "bad guy", the "overly officious official". It's not a great way to build good rapport with a coach when, even before the game begins, I'm telling him he has some equipment or uniform issues to deal with.

Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 07:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True, but that doesn't mean there isn't a fair gripe when other officials are actively ignoring the rule. Not much different than when a crew refuses to deal with unsporting behavior and then the next crew has to clean up their mess. Officials that don't handle business make it harder on everyone.

Thankfully, we have been told here that players may roll their waistbands so long as no additional manufacturer's logos are shown, thereby ignoring the interpretation.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 08:10am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
True, but that doesn't mean there isn't a fair gripe when other officials are actively ignoring the rule. Not much different than when a crew refuses to deal with unsporting behavior and then the next crew has to clean up their mess. Officials that don't handle business make it harder on everyone.

That gripe is aimed at the assignor, not me.

"Coach, I can't speak for other officials, tonight we are enforcing the rule."

Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 08:56pm
Administrator

I apologize in advance for arriving late to the party.

1) Those veterans of this Forum know that I am a (reluctant) member of the Fashion Police Squad. Meaning, I enforce the Rules as required.

2) I would like to bring everyone's attention a thread from January 2017. My main contribution to the thread is Comment #8; unfortunately Billy YouTube video is no longer available.

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...rm-police.html

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm just getting sick of being the … "overly officious official" ...
I have a feeling you could completely ignore the fashion rules the rest of your career and still not come anywhere close to shaking that rep.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2018, 11:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Don't Want To Be The Straw That Stirs The Drink ...

With apologies to Reggie Jackson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I have a feeling you could completely ignore the fashion rules the rest of your career and still not come anywhere close to shaking that rep.
I can actually be very flexible, as either the referee, or the umpire, to make sure that my partner and I are both the same page. We pregame as a team, we work the game as a team, we postgame as a team, and we leave as a team. A "lone wolf" I'm not, it would be counterproductive on so many different levels. My flexibility is based on the level of the game, the style of play, and the style, and experience, of my partner.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Oct 20, 2018 at 05:57pm.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2018, 09:32am
Administrator

OhioHSAA Ruling for Situation 9.

I just watched the mandatory OhioHSAA Online State Rules Meeting (which has been online since 09:00amEDT, Wed., Oct. 17th). And the official position of the OhioHSAA is that rolled waistbands are legal as long as a "manufacturer's logo" is not visible. Which means that Situation 9 is null and void in the OhioHSAA.

I have not yet watched the MichiganHSAA Online State Rules Meeting (unlike the OhioHSAA Meeting) it is not mandatory unless one wishes to be considered for the post-season tournament, and non-Michigan residents are not eligible. So I will probably watch it later today. The MichiganHSAA Meeting is usually considerably longer that the OhioHSAA Meeting (00:17:46 this year).

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Oct 25, 2018, 09:35am
Administrator

One small aside to Freddy.

Freddy:

Due to the fact that I attended college in the 1970s, the title that you gave to this thread brought back fond memories of my college days, .

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Thu Oct 25, 2018 at 01:59pm. Reason: P.S. Corrected grammar.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2018, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Iowa has made it clear they expect us to enforce this interp. They put it into the preseason coaches' meeting that all coaches and officials are required to view. They also included it at all preseason clinics. Should be a fun first few weeks of the season.
Old Thu Oct 25, 2018, 04:20pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I just watched the mandatory OhioHSAA Online State Rules Meeting (which has been online since 09:00amEDT, Wed., Oct. 17th). And the official position of the OhioHSAA is that rolled waistbands are legal as long as a "manufacturer's logo" is not visible. Which means that Situation 9 is null and void in the OhioHSAA.

I have not yet watched the MichiganHSAA Online State Rules Meeting (unlike the OhioHSAA Meeting) it is not mandatory unless one wishes to be considered for the post-season tournament, and non-Michigan residents are not eligible. So I will probably watch it later today. The MichiganHSAA Meeting is usually considerably longer that the OhioHSAA Meeting (00:17:46 this year).

MTD, Sr.
MTD, this will not be found on the mhsaa online rules meeting which is a voiceover boilerplate of the nfhs produced PowerPoint. This came by way of the interpretations which came out later than that, but when I asked the new associate director about it he said we are going to enforce it in our state this year. Therefore I put it in all the power points that I produce.