The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:38am
Back from the DL

Roll over = travel

I've always found the passage about rolling over with the ball (NFHS 4.44.5) to be a bit vague. At what point does a roll become a travel?

Certainly, you're not going to allow a player to do a 360 or even a 180 while holding the ball. Still, is there a point where a lean becomes a slight roll or a travel? Where do you draw the line?
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 03:47am
Official Forum Member

Rocking around a bit is not rolling...and not traveling. How far is too far? Well, tumbling in the process of diving for the ball and coming to a stop, even if that tumble involves a rotation of 360 degrees or more, is not traveling. But, if the turn not part of the dive/tumble but is to protect the ball from being taken by the opponent, even 90 degrees is enough for me to call a travel. If they're on their back and roll to their side to protect the ball...travel. There are no hard limits on how far is too far. You just have to see it and judge whether their actions fit the spirit of the rule.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

If they're sitting on the floor with the ball and they "rock" from side to side, it's not a travel. If the opposing coach complains, tell him the player didn't move his pivot cheek.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
If they're sitting on the floor with the ball and they "rock" from side to side, it's not a travel. If the opposing coach complains, tell him the player didn't move his pivot cheek.
Please don't tell them this, then when they grow up to be a real coach, they'll start using the term "pivot cheek" when complaining about travel calls.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaqwells View Post
please don't tell them this, then when they grow up to be a real coach, they'll start using the term "pivot cheek" when complaining about travel calls.
+1
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 12:56pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
There are no hard limits on how far is too far. You just have to see it and judge whether their actions fit the spirit of the rule.
Therein lies the problem. We all have our opinions on the "spirit." I believe the smarter thing is to get everyone on the same page.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 01:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
Therein lies the problem. We all have our opinions on the "spirit." I believe the smarter thing is to get everyone on the same page.
Not really, for the number of times this happens in a game, just leave it to judgment. There's too many possibilities to start laying down specific rules on which parts of the body can touch the floor.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 07:46pm
Official Forum Member

We had a long discussion on this previously.
I stated then that 180 is the cut-off point. This allows a player to turn from side to side, but not roll over.

I still call it that way and haven't had any problems doing so.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
We had a long discussion on this previously.
I stated then that 180 is the cut-off point. This allows a player to turn from side to side, but not roll over.

I still call it that way and haven't had any problems doing so.
Reference? I'd say that rolling from left side to the right side is a travel every time.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 10:49pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Not really, for the number of times this happens in a game, just leave it to judgment.
It's not the frequency, Snaq. It's the complaint-to-occurence ratio that makes this notable. Yes, it's infrequent, but people (mostly coaches) rightfully complain about this more often per instance than anything I can think of. To me, that's a red flag that not everyone is on the same page.

I don't see anyone rushing to give a clear-cut answer, so I suppose this whole thing will remain clear as dishwater.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:12pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
It's not the frequency, Snaq. It's the complaint-to-occurence ratio that makes this notable. Yes, it's infrequent, but people (mostly coaches) rightfully complain about this more often per instance than anything I can think of. To me, that's a red flag that not everyone is on the same page.

I don't see anyone rushing to give a clear-cut answer, so I suppose this whole thing will remain clear as dishwater.
Coaches and officials will never be on the same page on this play unless their player is on the favorable end of the call or no call.
Old Sat Dec 18, 2010, 11:33pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

You can't base it on that. One coach is upset on this regardless of whether you call the travel. Same thing on block/charge calls. Same thing with any close call.
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:12am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You can't base it on that. One coach is upset on this regardless of whether you call the travel. Same thing on block/charge calls. Same thing with any close call.
With one major difference: The rules will back you up on block/charge and most other close calls. From what I can see, there's far more gray area in a "rolling travel."
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 12:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Reference? I'd say that rolling from left side to the right side is a travel every time.
Agreed. If he goes from his butt to his hip, I have traveling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 19, 2010, 01:50am
#thereferee99

Screen name: Pivot Cheek

... still available. Make a statement in 2011!