The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:47am
Esteemed Forum Member

2018-2019 IAABO Significant Manual Revisions ...

2018-2019 IAABO Significant Manual Revisions

Officials Jewelry. Wedding bands and engagement rings are the only jewelry permitted. Fitness bands are not allowed.

Clock Awareness. One Minute Remaining. Recommend officials in crew raise an index finger in the air.

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

End of Quarter/Period Procedures. By rule, the game clock horn signals the end of the quarter/period unless there is a ball in flight on a try for goal. Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.

Jump Ball. The Referee or tossing official checks for readiness with table and partner (no longer checks for readiness with the captains).

Basket interference and Goaltending no longer must be reported in the reporting area.

Timeout Procedures. Prior to granting a time-out request by the head coach, the official must see or hear the coach (“and” changed to “or”).

Signals. Added “Tipped Ball” Signal. Used to communicate that the ball was legally touched by a defensive player in the frontcourt before it entered the backcourt.

There are a few other changes that I wouldn't call significant (I'm not sure how significant some of these are).

There are some newly added screen coverage guidelines in the IAABO Crew of Three Mechanics Manual, as previously mentioned in a previous thread.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 12:15pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 11:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

O Captain! My Captain! (Walt Whitman, 1865) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Jump Ball. The Referee or tossing official checks for readiness with table and partner (no longer checks for readiness with the captains).
Maybe this will stop the officials who ask, during the pregame head coach/captains/officials meeting, who the "speaking" captain is, what is his number (some players will pull up their warmup tops to show their number), and if said "speaking" captain is starting the game.

Now if we can just get rid of, "It's the blue line all the way around".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 12:27pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Screens ...

Quote:
There are some newly added screen coverage guidelines in the IAABO Crew of Three Mechanics Manual, as previously mentioned in a previous thread.
https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1025439

Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:07pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

1) Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

2) End of Quarter/Period Procedures. By rule, the game clock horn signals the end of the quarter/period unless there is a ball in flight on a try for goal. Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.

3) Signals. Added “Tipped Ball” Signal. Used to communicate that the ball was legally touched by a defensive player in the frontcourt before it entered the backcourt.

1) Glad someone finally has provided some "official" guidance. I like how it is worded. There is no need to interrupt the opponents' possession to fix it.

2) Only makes sense.

3) As long as the signal is not given too early. Don't want to give it if there is still a possibility of the offense touching the ball in the FC.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

An Exodus Reference On The Forum, How Cool Is That ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
...someone finally has provided some "official" guidance ...
Here in my little corner of 100% IAABO Connecticut, most of us were already using many of these revised mechanics. Now these mechanics are forever chiseled on stone tablets brought down from the top of Mount Sinai.

I bet that you guys didn't know that Charlton Heston was the president of the National Rifle Association and the president of International Association of Approved Basketball Officials. It's true. It's true.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 04:25pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.
No one in the world is going to have game management untangle the net. Pfft.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

The notify the captains before the start is my old-timey nod to something that was regularly done when I started in 1987. I am probably one of very few who still do it.

We're not an IAABO state, so I will continue to blow my whistle at the end of every half (we don't play quarters here) like I always have.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Real Crowd Pleaser ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
No one in the world is going to have game management untangle the net.
Maybe not, probably one of the players, but it definitely won't be me. My days of jumping up to fix a net are long gone.

There have been several circumstances over the past thirty-eight years, where nets have become so tangled, or balls have become so stuck in hard to reach basket supports, that a custodian has had to come out with a ladder to get things corrected.

We have one high school in our area that keeps a long wooden stick handy because the supports are configured in such a way that the ball gets stuck way high up in the supports at least once a game.

In a middle school game you may not be able to find a player tall enough (maybe most girls games on all levels) to reach the net, or a ball wedged between the ring and the backboard.

I hate it when, during these circumstances, an official tries to toss the ball to fix the net, or a second ball tossed to dislodge a wedged game ball, or a second ball tossed to get game ball way high up on the supports, and fail in early attempts, the crowd really enjoys that. I've done this myself, but never seem to learn from my past mistakes

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 02:05pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 02:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Won The Crowd Over ...

Quote:
Maybe not, probably one of the players, but it definitely won't be me. My days of jumping up to fix a net are long gone.
Many years ago, I was observing the varsity officials after my junior varsity game. The crowd was giving both officials a hard time. During a break in the action one of the officials, who was one of the shortest officials on our local board, and one of the best officials on our local board, noticed that the net was tangled. He ran at full speed from the division line and jumped to untangle the net, coming up at least two feet short. Of course, the crowd laughed. But his foolish attempt won them over and they didn't give him a hard time for the reminder of the game. I'm sure that he did that on purpose.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Oct 23, 2018 at 04:27pm.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 07:45pm
Administrator

Quote:

Officials Jewelry. Wedding bands and engagement rings are the only jewelry permitted. Fitness bands are not allowed.

Clock Awareness. One Minute Remaining. Recommend officials in crew raise an index finger in the air.

End of Quarter/Period Procedures. By rule, the game clock horn signals the end of the quarter/period unless there is a ball in flight on a try for goal. Officials should not sound the whistle to signify the end of the quarter/period unless they are ruling that the try was not released prior to the sounding of the horn.

Basket interference and Goaltending no longer must be reported in the reporting area.

Timeout Procedures. Prior to granting a time-out request by the head coach, the official must see or hear the coach (“and” changed to “or”).

Signals. Added “Tipped Ball” Signal. Used to communicate that the ball was legally touched by a defensive player in the frontcourt before it entered the backcourt.

There are a few other changes that I wouldn't call significant (I'm not sure how significant some of these are).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
1) Glad someone finally has provided some "official" guidance. I like how it is worded. There is no need to interrupt the opponents' possession to fix it.

2) Only makes sense.

3) As long as the signal is not given too early. Don't want to give it if there is still a possibility of the offense touching the ball in the FC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
No one in the world is going to have game management untangle the net. Pfft.
Quote:

There have been several circumstances over the past thirty-eight years, where nets have become so tangled, or balls have become so stuck in hard to reach basket supports, that a custodian has had to come out with a ladder to get things corrected.

We have one high school in our area that keeps a long wooden stick handy because the supports are configured in such a way that the ball gets stuck way high up in the supports at least once a game.

In a middle school game you may not be able to find a player tall enough (maybe most girls games on all levels) to reach the net, or a ball wedged between the ring and the backboard.

I hate it when, during these circumstances, an official tries to toss the ball to fix the net, or a second ball tossed to dislodge a wedged game ball, or a second ball tossed to get game ball way high up on the supports, and fail in early attempts, the crowd really enjoys that. I've done this myself, but never seem to learn from my past mistakes

The comments in the IAABO Mechanics Book is not an IAABO Ruling. This is a NBC (National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada) Ruling the predates the NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's Rules Committees. Some StateHSAAs are better than others at letting officials know that the game is not to be stopped to fix the Net. I know that the FloridaHSAA is one of those that do a good job of informing its basketball officials. The NCAA Men's/Women's Rules Committees have a specific set of instructions to follow.

NOTE: The National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada is the predecessor of the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees and all NBC Rulings, Casebook Plays, and Approved Rulings were carried over by the NFHS and NCAA Men's (and NCAA Women's when the NCAA took over from the AIAW in the mid-1980s) unless a further Rules Change was adopted that changed the existing Ruling, CB Play, or A.R.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 10:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Is Correct ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Some StateHSAAs are better than others at letting officials know that the game is not to be stopped to fix the Net. I know that the FloridaHSAA is one of those that do a good job of informing its basketball officials.
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. is correct. I did my own editing in my post, here's the full revision:

Net gets hung up on ring with the clock running. 1. Follow procedures established by your state association. 2. If your state does not provide any guidance, it is recommended that officials make a mental note of the situation and allow play to continue until the next dead ball with a stopped clock or the ball is in team control of the affected team in their front court and they are not making an immediate try for goal. Quickly have game management untangle the net and resume play at Point of Interruption.

Old Mon Oct 29, 2018, 10:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Give Me The Finger ...

Quote:
Over almost four decades of officiating, I've had partners point to their imaginary wristwatches, tap their heads, point to the scoreboard, etc. It will be nice to have a simple, single, universal signal that doesn't have to be pregamed.

What took IAABO so long to come up with this simple crew communication signal?