The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2018, 08:21pm
This IS My Social Life

Roll Your Own. NOT.

2018,19 Interpretations
SITUATION 9: During warm-ups, the officials notice that some players have rolled the waistband on their shorts. What actions should be taken by the officials, if any, at this time? RULING: During the warm-up period, the referee should notify the coach of the infractions and ask that they be corrected immediately. If the corrections are not made and players attempt to enter the game with rolled waistbands, those players should not be allowed to enter the game prior to correcting the issue. If player(s) in the game have rolled waistband(s), they shall be directed to leave the game and may not re-enter until the next opportunity to substitute. No penalty is involved. The game should not be held-up to allow for the correction. (3-3-5, 3-5-5)
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 06:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Teenage Girls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... some players have rolled the waistband on their shorts.
I first became aware of this issue several years ago on the Forum. At the time we didn't have this problem here in Connecticut. That is no longer the case, and it's almost always girls.

It's another fashion issue that some officials will not understand, some won't know about it, some will chose to ignore ("not part of the game"), some will not be observant enough to enforce, and some may enforce.

3-5-5: Equipment and apparel shall not be modified from the original
manufactured state and shall be worn in the manner the manufacturer intended it
to be worn.

3-5-5-A: Uniform pants/skirts shall adhere to the following: Only one visible manufacturer’s logo/trademark/reference is permitted
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 06:42am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Ultimately states will do what they want irrespective of this stupid rule and interpretation.

In South Carolina it's been a crapshoot the past few years and enforcement has been largely dependent on whom the R is. Some R's don't allow any rolling. Some allow rolling as long as no extra logos are seen. Some don't care.

The only thing I personally care about is the drawstring being tucked in since fingers, etc. can get caught in it.

I think the "worn as manufacturer intended" nonsense is, well, nonsense.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 08:59am
Courageous When Prudent

This has been addressed in our state's preseason clinic for at least 4-5 years now, maybe longer than that. I don't think I've seen anybody sent out of the game yet, but many officials do address in pregame Captains meetings and players are told to fix it during the games.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:08am
Esteemed Forum Member

Fifteen Will Get You Twenty ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
This has been addressed in our state's preseason clinic for at least 4-5 years now, maybe longer than that.
This issue has never been addressed in my little corner of Connecticut, even though we're seeing more and more girls rolling their waistbands every season. I have an email out to my local interpreter, and the state interpreter, asking about enforcement of this recent annual interpretation. I hope that we can just ignore. I really don't relish the idea of checking out the rear waistband of teenage female players to see if the waistband is rolled so that a logo is showing.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 12:13pm.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Have had to tell players this for years about rolling up their shorts. It is practically an every game issue. This is in boys games BTW. I do not get why this has become a thing. But it has and we will have to deal with it accordingly. Glad it is something the NF addressed. Now we have more cover in the rule.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Have had to tell players this for years about rolling up their shorts. It is practically an every game issue. This is in boys games BTW. I do not get why this has become a thing. But it has and we will have to deal with it accordingly. Glad it is something the NF addressed. Now we have more cover in the rule.

Peace
I think it's a thing because shorts have gotten so long that the length is bothering the players. So they roll up to get to a comfortable length. This really strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. Perhaps it will drive coaches to ask manufacturers to shorten the shorts . . . are we headed back to the 70s?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 10:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who Wears Short Shorts (The Royal Teens, 1958) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think it's a thing because shorts have gotten so long that the length is bothering the players. So they roll up to get to a comfortable length ... are we headed back to the 70s?
It appears that so cal lurker is correct:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...five/98891284/

Until I read this article (above), I didn't realize that this (below) was another method a making long shorts shorter. I didn't understand the interpretation at first, now I "get" it.

SITUATION 6: A1 has tucked the bottom of his/her shorts into the tights being worn. RULING: Illegal. The referee shall not allow the player to enter the game or direct the player to leave the game until the shorts are removed from inside the tights. After making the correction, the player may re-enter the game at the appropriate time for a substitution. The uniform should be worn as the manufacturer intended it to be. (3-5-5)

Short Shorts (The Royal Teens, 1958): https://youtu.be/MOfFB5QF4iQ

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Oct 11, 2018 at 10:54am.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
I think it's a thing because shorts have gotten so long that the length is bothering the players. So they roll up to get to a comfortable length. This really strikes me as a solution in search of a problem. Perhaps it will drive coaches to ask manufacturers to shorten the shorts . . . are we headed back to the 70s?
Also because uniforms get passed down year after year and the shorts don't fit, so players roll the waistband to compensate. Of course that's not our problem, but it's only an issue because the NFHS has decided to make it so. Why did they have to stick their nose in this?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Who is to say that a manufacturer did not intend its shorts to be rolled up, perhaps to show its logo?
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

MD officials are lucky that the MPSSAA has instructed officials to ignore this issue, unless multiple logos appear due to the shorts being rolled up.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Who is to say that a manufacturer did not intend its shorts to be rolled up, perhaps to show its logo?
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I think the "worn as manufacturer intended" nonsense is, well, nonsense.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 02:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

In college games, I tell the players if they roll their shorts the label cannot show in accordance with:

Rule 1 Section 25. Logos, Labels, Trademarks, Patches

Art. 1.
A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark meeting the size restrictions of Rule 1-25.2 is permitted once on the game jersey, once on the game shorts...
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In college games, I tell the players if they roll their shorts the label cannot show in accordance with:

Rule 1 Section 25. Logos, Labels, Trademarks, Patches

Art. 1.
A single manufacturer’s or distributor’s normal logo, label or trademark meeting the size restrictions of Rule 1-25.2 is permitted once on the game jersey, once on the game shorts...
Yep -- in college, roll 'em under or roll 'em twice.

In HS, here, no rolling -- and I do try to enforce it.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2018, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Grassy Knoll ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Wasn't the shooter on the grassy knoll wearing long shorts with the waistband rolled down?

(Young'uns. Look it up on the Google.)