The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That would explain you hyper-focus on certain subjects. I was never diagnosed, but through my son's diagnosis I realized I am on the spectrum myself. As it is a social disorder, you can learn to overcome some aspects and compensate for some aspects. You would probably be great at film study. You should devote more energy in that direction, and less on rule changes and such.
That is what I do. I watch the IAABO "Make the Ruling" videos that are released every week, HS/NCAA preseason training videos, Officiating Born YouTube videos, Board 12 HUDL videos, and other videos of basketball games, watching for on and off-ball calls that should be made (I pay secondary attention to mechanics, positioning, clocks, etc.). I watch baseball and football situations as well for when I am officiating those sports.

IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.

How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.

Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Actually IAABO International, the parent organization of my local board, forbids belted pants, and has done so for a few years. Because we have a few "belt" guys, our local board passed a constitutional amendment a few years ago that gives us the option of wearing belted (must be a black belt) pants as part of our approved uniform if we want to.

I spotted a rookie official (who did an excellent job officiating, he's a former high school basketball coach) wearing a belt this past season. I always provide positive feedback, or constructive criticism, to subvarsity officials that I observe (we're an educational organization), so I told him that as a up and coming young guy he should wear beltless pants, it's a better look, and a more modern look. Guys as old a dirt, like me, can pull off the belted look, but beltless is the way to go.

There are still some excellent dinosaurs on my local board. A outstanding veteran official wore belted pants working a girls state final this past season. Chalk one up for the old guys.

Also, for your information, Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. doesn't wear a belt when he works games, he wears suspenders. Good thing, because when he works, he goes commando.
OK. No belts for our game then. Ohio does opposite the table, and standard IAABO practice is opposite the table, so that's how we'll go, unless Nevadaref has something to say about that . Can't wait to get our game started!
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 05:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
That is what I do. I watch the IAABO "Make the Ruling" videos that are released every week, HS/NCAA preseason training videos, Officiating Born YouTube videos, Board 12 HUDL videos, and other videos of basketball games, watching for on and off-ball calls that should be made (I pay secondary attention to mechanics, positioning, clocks, etc.). I watch baseball and football situations as well for when I am officiating those sports.

IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.

How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.

Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.
One thing you're going to have to work on, I can already tell, is the ability to adjust to different supervisors. You have to know when supervisors want you to do everything by the book, and you have to know which supervisors just want you to get plays right. If you have to choose one to make a priority as you advance, it's getting plays right. You can know how the manual says to do things, but recognize when it's acceptable or expected to deviate a little bit.

Start studying positioning. Especially from the trail. You want to be sideline oriented. I would review NBA plays from their website or plays specifically from Al Battista.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
The NF does not regulate what states do in any sense of mechanics. That is up to the state, association or assignor. And unless you are in a state that really cares that much about specifics of the book, chances are there are always going to be variations. No one needs to do anything to ask the state for anything. It is your job to know who you are working for and what is important to those that hire you.

Quote:
You have to be hired first. And that does not come by talking about it here. You have to attend someone's camp and get them to see if you have what it takes (and that is often more than what is in any book) and do what is stated by that supervisor. No one here is going to know the answer to this for you unless they work specifically for someone you are trying to get hired by. And even that might not be something clearly stated if you attend a camp or get hired. What you need to do is control the things you can control and listen to those that have been around and know the system. There is no one size fits all model. The CCA manual is hardly discussed at any camp I attend and most of what is told are, "tricks of the trade" type things to help you get plays right and be a good partner. Rarely have I ever had this much debate about what is in the Manual, because no one honestly cares what the Manual says about something that specific. The CCA Manual IMO is more for you to know and use in your game, but no one is going around brow-beating you with that information or specifics.

Quote:
Hot water? The coach yelled about a call he did not understand, likely because he does not know the rule. I think the official was fine, even if it was kind of confusing. And I doubt anyone could hear him anyway in that kind of game. There were not 5 people in the gym, there were thousands.

Peace