View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 07:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.
The NF does not regulate what states do in any sense of mechanics. That is up to the state, association or assignor. And unless you are in a state that really cares that much about specifics of the book, chances are there are always going to be variations. No one needs to do anything to ask the state for anything. It is your job to know who you are working for and what is important to those that hire you.

Quote:
How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.
You have to be hired first. And that does not come by talking about it here. You have to attend someone's camp and get them to see if you have what it takes (and that is often more than what is in any book) and do what is stated by that supervisor. No one here is going to know the answer to this for you unless they work specifically for someone you are trying to get hired by. And even that might not be something clearly stated if you attend a camp or get hired. What you need to do is control the things you can control and listen to those that have been around and know the system. There is no one size fits all model. The CCA manual is hardly discussed at any camp I attend and most of what is told are, "tricks of the trade" type things to help you get plays right and be a good partner. Rarely have I ever had this much debate about what is in the Manual, because no one honestly cares what the Manual says about something that specific. The CCA Manual IMO is more for you to know and use in your game, but no one is going around brow-beating you with that information or specifics.

Quote:
Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.
Hot water? The coach yelled about a call he did not understand, likely because he does not know the rule. I think the official was fine, even if it was kind of confusing. And I doubt anyone could hear him anyway in that kind of game. There were not 5 people in the gym, there were thousands.

Peace