View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2018, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That would explain you hyper-focus on certain subjects. I was never diagnosed, but through my son's diagnosis I realized I am on the spectrum myself. As it is a social disorder, you can learn to overcome some aspects and compensate for some aspects. You would probably be great at film study. You should devote more energy in that direction, and less on rule changes and such.
That is what I do. I watch the IAABO "Make the Ruling" videos that are released every week, HS/NCAA preseason training videos, Officiating Born YouTube videos, Board 12 HUDL videos, and other videos of basketball games, watching for on and off-ball calls that should be made (I pay secondary attention to mechanics, positioning, clocks, etc.). I watch baseball and football situations as well for when I am officiating those sports.

IMHO, if assigners are uncomfortable with having their officials perform practices defined by the NFHS manual, they should contact their state interpreter to ask for a different, state-specific manual, or the NFHS basketball committee, to modify the mechanics to better conform with accepted practice. If the NFHS-prescribed mechanics are confusing, I would understand why high school officials might go off-script for the situations that lead to confusion.

How often do NCAA officials deviate from CCA Manual practices? Is it similar to what senior HS officials do, or less? Is it because the CCA Manuals are written in a way that better conforms to practice than the NFHS Manual? AFAiK, the CCA manuals are written in a way that would make it easier to put in practice than the NFHS one would be, but I would need confirmation from college officials on both sides.

Back to the OP, make sure that your player control and "score the goal" signals are different! That will help you avoid the hot water that the official in the OP got into with the coaches at that game.