The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
From an upcoming article I'm writing for a magazine. It's been twenty-eight years and I'm sure that some Forum young'uns don't know the background of the rule.

The Trent Tucker Rule disallows any regular shot to be taken on the court if the ball is put into play with three-tenths of a second or less left in the period. The rule was born out of a game between the New York Knicks and the Chicago Bulls on January 15, 1990 at Madison Square Garden. The game was tied at 106 with one-tenth of a second left in regulation and the Knicks in possession. During a timeout called by the Knicks, both teams prepared for what was seen as the only possible way the Knicks could win in regulation: an alley-oop tapin by Patrick Ewing from an out of bounds pass. When play resumed, the Knicks player throwing the ball in, Mark Jackson, saw the alley-oop play get broken up. He proceeded to throw the ball inbounds to Trent Tucker, who was the only player open. Tucker then turned around and hit a three-point jump shot before the buzzer, giving the Knicks the win, 109–106. Replays showed that the clock was not started until Tucker's shot was already in midair. Afterward, everyone said a player could not catch, plant, spin, and release a shot so quickly. The NBA determined that you cannot catch and shoot in three-tenths of a second or under. All you can do is throw it at the rim and have someone tip it in.
It is actually 0.2 seconds or less. In the NBA as in FIBA, you can catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds or more.
Old Thu Mar 08, 2018, 11:35pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
It is actually 0.2 seconds or less. In the NBA as in FIBA, you can catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds or more.
Can confirm for NBA ruleset.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If you take a closed book test, you might not know the answer.

Peace
Do tell me what the diameter of a straight line is, even if you use your book.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Correct for the current NBA rule, but what was it back in 1990 when it was originally created? BillyMac's story could be correct for that time period and a change could have occurred during the intervening years.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Correct for the current NBA rule, but what was it back in 1990 when it was originally created? BillyMac's story could be correct for that time period and a change could have occurred during the intervening years.
Could be. It's certainly been the current rule for at least 15 years. I don't know if it's changed before that.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 07:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Poetic License ...

Sorry about the confusion. It's my fault.

You guys are pretty sharp. The original NBA Trent Tucker Rule, in 1990, was "less than three tenths of a second". I took some liberties (that reminds me, I've got to get my poetic license renewed, I hope my new photo comes out better than the photo on my old license) because the article is about NFHS rules.

Did you guys know that shoes with flashing lights were banned by the NBA in 1993 because of LA Gear shoes worn by 1993 by Karl Malone and Hakeem Olajuwon?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 09, 2018 at 07:30am.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

This was the state quarterfinal, right? Am I the only one surprised there was not an official's supervisor at the game? I feel like there should be to avoid these situations. I'm sure it isn't common practice, but perhaps it should be.

And to be fair, there are guys refereeing in the NFL that kick rules occasionally. This is part of the reason the VP of officiating can radio in and help. However, I totally agree that this is a basic rule that an officiating crew in the quarters should know.

Chris
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Thought this was interesting

I started telling this story my boy who rides the pine on a good HS Varsity team in the midwest. I got to the ".3 on the clock" part and he jumped in and said-- "they can only tap it then". I said "those particular refs didnt know that rule, how did you?" He looked at me like I am clueless (which I am) and said "we practice a play for that" So I guess good coaches do know the rule.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:41am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Do tell me what the diameter of a straight line is, even if you use your book.
You realize that it was sarcasm right? You realize that I have been saying for years how silly rules tests are for years? You realize that I took the NF test (first time in probably 15 years or so) this year for the first time and they asked about 10-15 questions about measurements from the ball. Of course, there is no diameter of a line, but who cares what it has to be if you come to a court. Are you going to not play the game if you have a line that does not fit the requirements? Heck, what if you do not have a shadow line? Are you suspending the game? So why do people put so much stock in these test when clearly in this situation the officials did not know a rule that actually might be applicable?

Peace
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
This could’ve been avoided with a good pregame.
While its probably not in my pregame, I don't think your comment is entirely blue ink worthy...
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguru View Post
This was the state quarterfinal, right? Am I the only one surprised there was not an official's supervisor at the game? I feel like there should be to avoid these situations. I'm sure it isn't common practice, but perhaps it should be.

And to be fair, there are guys refereeing in the NFL that kick rules occasionally. This is part of the reason the VP of officiating can radio in and help. However, I totally agree that this is a basic rule that an officiating crew in the quarters should know.
There is an 'officials supervisor' there along with a 4th official at the table. This isn't the first time there has been a controversy of this magnitude at the state tournament regarding rule application.

About 10 years ago in a title game, A1 made a '3' to tie the game with around 4 seconds left. The clock expired before B could collect and inbound the ball. The supervisor allowed the officials to go to the monitor to 'make sure the shot was released in time', and then to check whether it was a 2 or 3.

While the rule allows for this in a title game, the controversy was that the shot was clearly released in time and they shouldn't have been able to check where his foot was. The shot was corrected to be a '2' and B won the title.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
While its probably not in my pregame, I don't think your comment is entirely blue ink worthy...
My comment was throwing shade at those officials that have an "if you pregame it then it won't happen" mindset, e.g. on blarges.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Oh yes it is. I may spit up from laughter the day I hear in a pregame "let's not forget that less than .3 seconds...." Like come on. The pregame doesn't solve many scenarios, just some of the most commons ones that have to do with how a crew works.

This is just rules knowledge. A bit late for that in a pre-game in this case if you ask me.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
In the pregame they would have gotten it wrong also.
Old Fri Mar 09, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In the pregame they would have gotten it wrong also.
Actually that's a pretty good point. Pregame is primarily about communication, not rules knowledge.