The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

team left court end of 1st half

Here's a situation that I was asked about...

At the end of the first half B1 is fouled while shooting as time expired. The officials had B1 shoot the free throws with the lane cleared. During this time team A started to leave the court headed for the locker room. Coach B complained loudly that they couldn't do that and had to stay on the court. Coach A heard this and stopped in the doorway and didn't leave.

Should team A have penalized for something?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

I had middle school situation like that five years ago. The coach of the non-shooting team starts to walk off. I said, "Coach, the quarter isn't over yet; your team has to stay until the free throws are over." He didn't like it, and I had to say it again. He hesitated, waffled, but ultimately still meandered his team toward the locker room while the free throws were being shot.

In hindsight, I should have called a T. But I was a new official and couldn't pull the trigger. My partner didn't care (would have been nice if he'd had my back).

I later emailed a guy at the state office for an opinion. He said, "did letting him go affect anything?" I said, "no." So he replied, "then just let him go." I don't agree with that, but in fairness I wanted to provide a coordinator's point of view.

So here's a quiz for new officials. If the T is called in that situation, how and when is the penalty enforced?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I said, "Coach, the quarter isn't over yet;"

So here's a quiz for new officials. If the T is called in that situation, how and when is the penalty enforced?
If the quarter isn't over, I'd be giving free throws right there to the other team...

1st year official right here
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 05:14pm
Administrator

This is a true tale. Last year Mark, Jr., and I had a boys' JV game and H1 was fouled in the Act of Shooting a successful FG Attempt at the buzzer to end the 2nd Quarter. The Visitors stayed to on the Court, but A1's own team (including the coaches) headed to the lockerroom. We were so stunned we forgot to get them back the gym.

When we came back out onto the court to start the 2nd Half, the Visitor's HC asked me if Team A could do that, and I was honest with him and told him that we screwed up by letting them leave but we were surprised that they didn't want to see whether their own teammate made the FT. He asked if there was a penalty, and I told him he didn't want to know the answer. He said "TF, right?" Me: "I told you that you didn't want to know" And he laughed, saying that to do so would have embarrassed A1.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post

At the end of the first half B1 is fouled while shooting as time expired. The officials had B1 shoot the free throws with the lane cleared. During this time team A started to leave the court headed for the locker room. Coach B complained loudly that they couldn't do that and had to stay on the court. Coach A heard this and stopped in the doorway and didn't leave.

In your situation, if A starts to leave, and stops near the door, such that they are still basically in the confines of the gym, I probably let it go, though you might have a technicality technical for leaving the bench area. But if I tell them they can't and they do it anyway? Thanks for playing, Team B will be sticking around for 2 more...
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF View Post

10-5
ART. 5

The head coach shall not permit team members to leave the bench area and/or playing court for an unauthorized reason.

Caseplay
10.5.5 SITUATION A:

Airborne shooter A1 is fouled by B1 after the ball is released on the try. Playing time for the second quarter expires while the unsuccessful try is in flight. Since no players are required to line up for the free throws, Team B's head coach takes the team to the locker room to begin the intermission.

RULING: Team B's head coach is assessed a direct technical foul for permitting team members to leave the bench/court for an unauthorized reason. Even though no time remains on the game clock, the quarter doesn't end until A1's free throws are completed; therefore, the technical foul is part of the second quarter. A1 will attempt the two shooting-foul free throws followed by any Team A member attempting the two free throws for the technical foul. The Team B head coach has lost coaching-box privileges for the remainder of the game. The third quarter will begin with the alternating-possession procedure. (5-6-2 Exception 3)

By rule, the head coach allowing the team to leave the bench area is a direct T on the head coach ... and have a seat. Imagine his/her surprise when they return
Old Wed Jan 07, 2015, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstiles99 View Post
If the quarter isn't over, I'd be giving free throws right there to the other team...

1st year official right here
Ding ding ding. Correct! False multiple foul. Billy, tell him what he's won!

No penalty carries over to another period (except a correctable error if in time) so start the 3rd with a normal AP throw-in opposite the table.