The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Question

In another thread, someone had noticed that the NCAA has assigned the same official to work multiple games involving the same team on numerous occasions. There were several instances last weekend where officials worked two games involving the same team. One of those was Jim Haney, who worked both of Oklahoma State's games in Oklahoma City and amazingly worked their game against Arizona last night. Jim Haney is a terrific official, but so are the other 95 guys who earned assignments in the big dance.

Wouldn't it make more sense to move the officials around so that they don't work a game involving the same team twice unless they advance to the Final Four?

What are your thoughts?
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Wow, I didn't realize that he had them three in a row! That shouldn't be allowed.

Obviously, I agree and already offered my suggestion on how to avoid this. Use the pod system to the officials advantage. Work 2 games at the same site, but in different regionals on the first weekend.

Don't work 2 games at the same site on the 2nd weekend.

Don't work 2 games at the Final Four.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

It's seems unusual.

I don't see it as a big deal.

Also, Ted Valentine worked 2 of those 3 games as well.
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Randy McCall

I was also surprised to see the Randy McCall had Bucknell 2 games in a row...and in case the Bucknell fans are keeping count it looks like McCall will have a 1-1 or .500 record for them
Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

The officials are in a tournament not much different than the teams. The NCAA assigns officials to a particular site then the officials that worked the first round at a site work the second round games at the same site. The same thing applies when they get to the Sweet 16 level. So the officials that worked the Albuquerque regional for example are going to potentially see the same teams in the Regional Championship. Not sure that is the way they currently do it. That is the way they have done it for years.