The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Team catches & shoots w/ .3 left to win in WV Tournament (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103632-team-catches-shoots-w-3-left-win-wv-tournament.html)

justsumguy3 Thu Mar 08, 2018 09:26am

Team catches & shoots w/ .3 left to win in WV Tournament

From the West Virginia State Girls Tournament.....wvmetronews.com

Cara Minor hit a game-winning two-point shot as time expired, lifting Class AA No. 1 North Marion over No. 8 Bluefield 56-54 in a dramatic girls basketball quarterfinal matchup.

The bucket came off an in-bounds with just .3 seconds on the clock...

There was some confusion as to whether the shot should count, though, and the rules were interpreted by the officials that a player could catch and shoot with 0.3 seconds on the clock.

According to NFHS rule 5-2.5, however, it states: “When play is resumed with a throw-in or free throw and three-tenths (.3) of a second or less remains on the clock, a player may not gain control of the ball and try for a field goal. In this situation, only a tap could score.”

“To lose like that makes it harder,” said Bluefield coach Tony Mallamaci. “I’m not a time genius, but how you can hold the ball in your hand (and shoot) with 0.3 seconds left, I’m not gifted in that direction.

“They said (the officials) that you can catch and shoot with 0.3 (seconds on the clock),” Mallamaci said.

bob jenkins Thu Mar 08, 2018 09:28am

Where's a judge when you need one?

BryanV21 Thu Mar 08, 2018 09:58am

I'm curious what you all believe will happen with these officials. Will they lose future tournament games, or games in general?

EDIT: I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was just some cry-baby junk. Sorry.

MechanicGuy Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10am

Wow. That is an inexcusable error, if I'm being honest. I'd expect ANY varsity official to know that rule.

CJP Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:14am

I worked a game recently where the home team was down 3 with 0.3 seconds remaining. The situation was a spot throw in from half court after a time-out. My partners and I got together during the time-out and discussed that if they catch and shoot a 3 that we will wave it off and the game is over. Of course, the home team comes out and beautifully executes a play to get the open 3 and they nailed it. Of course, home court timer advantage allowed the kid to catch the ball with his back turned to the basket, turn and shoot (ball going through the basket) all before the horn goes off. The crowd was very upset when we waived it off but it was the correct call. The coach asked why we did not count the basket and understood completely when we gave him an explanation.

nolanjj68 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:27am

Here is the article:

WV MetroNews – No. 1 North Marion hits buzzer-beater to escape Bluefield upset

CJP Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1018423)
I'm curious what you all believe will happen with these officials. Will they lose future tournament games, or games in general?

EDIT: I re-read what I wrote earlier and it was just some cry-baby junk. Sorry.

I would vote in favor of never letting anyone on this crew officiate another post season game, ever.

frezer11 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:38am

If you're in a 0.3 situation and there is a timeout, hopefully as a crew you have a brief discussion to be on the same page. Would anyone consider communicating with coaches during this timeout about the rule? I wouldn't, in the camp of they should know the rule, but I'm curious to see what others might think.

BryanV21 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by frezer11 (Post 1018430)
If you're in a 0.3 situation and there is a timeout, hopefully as a crew you have a brief discussion to be on the same page. Would anyone consider communicating with coaches during this timeout about the rule? I wouldn't, in the camp of they should know the rule, but I'm curious to see what others might think.

No. It's not my job to educate anybody on the rules. If the coach does not know the rule it's not my problem. He can rant and rave all he wants... I don't care. He's the one that looks like a total jackass, not me.

crosscountry55 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:45am

Absolutely discuss if you have the opportunity (don’t delay the game unnecessarily). Do not coach the coach. They have access to the same books we do.

Very disappointed for the avocation as a whole to hear of a rule being kicked like this, let alone at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJP Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 1018431)
No. It's not my job to educate anybody on the rules. If the coach does not know the rule it's not my problem. He can rant and rave all he wants... I don't care. He's the one that looks like a total jackass, not me.

I agree, it is not our job. We briefly discussed telling the coach that only a tip can score in the scenario I shared earlier. Obviously, we decided against it.

nolanjj68 Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:54am

What I have seen is the official administering the throw in loudly tell the player throwing in the ball they can only score on a tap. Pretty much loud enough that everyone on the floor can hear it. Coaches may hear it depending on how loud the gym is.

justsumguy3 Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:22am

Here is the video...

<blockquote class="twitter-video" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WHAT A FINISH! Minor puts off a shot off inbounds with .3 SECONDS on the clock to give North Marion Huskies a 56-54 win over Bluefield. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wvgirlsbb?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#wvgir lsbb</a> <a href="https://t.co/RQqEBEzAvf">pic.twitter.com/RQqEBEzAvf</a></p>&mdash; Basketball Night (@Hoops_Roundup) <a href="https://twitter.com/Hoops_Roundup/status/971535770191384576?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 7, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rich Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1018432)
Absolutely discuss if you have the opportunity (don’t delay the game unnecessarily). Do not coach the coach. They have access to the same books we do.

Very disappointed for the avocation as a whole to hear of a rule being kicked like this, let alone at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing surprises me anymore. I've heard of 5:00 OT being played in a playoff game.

Hate me all you want, but this is one that could most definitely be fixed.

deecee Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nolanjj68 (Post 1018434)
What I have seen is the official administering the throw in loudly tell the player throwing in the ball they can only score on a tap. Pretty much loud enough that everyone on the floor can hear it. Coaches may hear it depending on how loud the gym is.

Even worse! Now a team just used a TO and AFTER the TO you say this. Better to either say this to the coach before or not at all. You just wasted a team's TO and probably threw the inbounder, and anyone who heard you, into confusion.