The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
This ^.

To me, it's akin to wearing a belt or signaling 3-point attempts wayyyy out of your area because you misunderstood the "mirroring" concept.

If you can avoid backpedaling, do so.
I still work with the occasional veteran who wears a belt or mirrors the attempt signal.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Where Belts Are Outlawed, Only Outlaws Will Have Belts ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I still work with the occasional veteran who wears a belt ...
We've got a few (not a lot, but more than most would think) veterans (including me) here in my little corner of Connecticut that wear a belt. I tried beltless pants several years ago. Back then (before I discovered treadmills with televisions at the gym) my weight would fluctuate up and down during the season (number of consecutive games, and doubleheaders, some trips to fast food places for late night convenience (that I have now completely avoided for a few years), colds and other illnesses) and I would occasionally discover that my beltless pants felt like they would fall down in a game. So I went back to belted pants, and stuck with them.

I know that I'm a dinosaur. I spotted a rookie official with belted pants last week and suggested to him that beltless pants had a more professional look.

Since the fall, I've dropped over twenty pounds, and two belt holes. It's cheaper to drop a belt hole, or two, or three, than to buy new beltless pants every time I drop several pounds.

Note to IAABO members. Do you all realize that IAABO International outlawed belted pants a few years ago. The only reason that we're allowed to wear belted pants here in my little corner of Connecticut is that we passed a local board constitutional amendment allowing black belts for those that prefer to wear them.

The constitutional amendment passed unanimously.

We're outlaws I tell you, outlaws.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 02:42pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rookies, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I still work with the occasional veteran who ... mirrors the attempt signal.
We have rookies, and other inexperienced officials, doing this, not veterans. These young'uns seem to confuse the three point attempt signal with the successful three point goal signal. Sometimes they just want to incorrectly mirror everything.

Two person game. The three point attempt signal (three fingers) is only used in one's primary coverage area. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the trail's primary, only the trail gives the successful three point goal (touchdown) signal. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the lead's primary, both the lead, and the trail, give the successful three point goal signal.

It seems difficult for rookies, and other inexperienced officials, to understand this signal progression.

Here in Connecticut we have an additional "Connecticut only" signal. In our primary coverage area, we point to floor for a two point field goal attempt when the shooter has a foot touching the three point line.

We also used to have a not closely guarded "Connecticut only" signal (arms spread wide apart), but IAABO International made us give it up, saying the correct signal was just not counting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 01:55pm.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 10:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
We have rookies, and other inexperienced officials, doing this, not veterans. These young'uns seem to confuse the three point attempt signal with the successful three point goal signal. Sometimes they just want to incorrectly mirror everything.

Two person game. The three point attempt signal (three fingers) is only used in one's primary coverage area. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the trail's primary, only the trail gives the successful three point goal (touchdown) signal. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the lead's primary, both the lead, and the trail, give the successful three point goal signal.

It seems difficult for rookies, and other inexperienced officials, to understand this signal progression.

Here in Connecticut we have an additional "Connecticut only" signal. In our primary coverage area, we point to floor for a two point field goal attempt when the shooter has a foot touching the three point line.

We also used to have a not closely guarded "Connecticut only" signal (arms spread wide apart), but IAABO International made us give it up, saying the correct signal was just not counting.
I thought that in 2 man mechanics the lead never signaled a successful 3-point shot (just marked), but I browsed through the manual and couldn't find a definitive answer.

In the book on pg. 200 the not closely guarded signal is shown (IAABO).
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
I thought that in 2 man mechanics the lead never signaled a successful 3-point shot (just marked), but I browsed through the manual and couldn't find a definitive answer.
Incorrect. If you mark it, you finish it. The trail only mirrors the successful signal. If the lead doesn't give the signal for the make, what would there be to mirror? Until the ball goes in, I've got other stuff to be looking at.
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have a "style." I do what the play requires. Walking the ball up requires a different reaction and movement than if they are running immediately off of the throw-in.

I try to stay close.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmay20 View Post
What are your all's opinions on backpedaling? My step-father has always strongly advised me not to backpedal on the court because "that one time you're gonna bust your ass out there."

I know for this specific scenario, it's not an option, but for those times when the ball is sideline and you're ahead of the developing play, I find backpedaling gives me a square view of the action. I am still pretty agile with decent footwork thanks to great DB coaches, so I am comfortable doing it. I know with time/age, I'll stray away from it.
I know individuals that got hurt rather badly because they feel and broke wrists or hit their head where they had serious injuries. Never backpedal. Take a step or two back is not the same as backpedaling either.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Unannounced Changes ...

Quote:
Interesting. It wasn't in last year's mechanics manual but it's there this year. Maybe it's one of those unannounced changes that often occur. I'll check with our State interpreter. Thanks for the information.

Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I do #1 even though it’s technically not “approved” because it saves me from having to deal with the “was that a 3?” dumb question from the table. If we’re not signaling touchdown then obviously it’s not a 3, but most tables in my experience can’t grasp that concept.

I never use the “not closely guarded” signal. If I’m not counting, then obviously they are not closely guarded in my judgment. Difference from the other signal is that the table is not involved.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 09:58am

Quote:
In the NF book it's on page 46. 4.3.4 - B.3,4,5,6
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
(Two person game) I backpedal when I walk, like when, as the new lead, I hold back to help with the press, but then turn and jog (age, and orthopedic problems) to the endline, looking sideways as the ball moves into the frontcourt. At my advancing age, I'm looking more and more for good angles, whereas many years go I would just sprint ahead of most of the players. For some reason, it's easier looking over my left shoulder than it is looking over my right shoulder. Go figure?
This, sans the orthopedic issues.

Same.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 10:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmay20 View Post
What are your all's opinions on backpedaling? My step-father has always strongly advised me not to backpedal on the court because "that one time you're gonna bust your ass out there."

I know for this specific scenario, it's not an option, but for those times when the ball is sideline and you're ahead of the developing play, I find backpedaling gives me a square view of the action. I am still pretty agile with decent footwork thanks to great DB coaches, so I am comfortable doing it. I know with time/age, I'll stray away from it.

Does anyone else out there open up on the court, at certain times, to get a better angle?
Backpedaling looks absolutely horrible. What purpose does backpeddling serve? When you're back peddling you're moving away from what you're looking at. And when you're back peddling you're not looking at your primary, you're looking back at the ball. Backpedaling is a ball watcher's technique.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
In the NF book it's on page 46. 4.3.4 - B.3,4,5,6
Thanks I trust everyone. I'm guessing that I was reading the mechanics section at some point and it said the lead never signals a successful 3-point try not realizing it was only referring to 3-man. Fortunately I only work about five 2-man games per year.
Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 04:28pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Not Closely Guarded Signal ...

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Interesting. It wasn't in last year's mechanics manual but it's there this year. Maybe it's one of those unannounced changes that often occur. I'll check with our State interpreter. Thanks for the information.
When Peter Webb was IAABO national Coordinator of Interpreters, he did not believe IAABO should use the "no closely guarded" signal, so it was not in the IAABO manual, even though the NFHS had adopted that signal. IAABO interpreters were told by Peter Webb to tell members not to use it.

However, the new four IAABO co-interpreters decided IAABO would use this signal and put it in this year's handbook. However, it was not discussed at the IAABO national interpreters meeting, so most state, and local, interpreters didn't include it in their new rules review meetings.

We will be using this "not closely guarded" signal in Connecticut next year.

Old Mon Feb 19, 2018, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Tough To Get Old ...

Quote:
... turn and jog (age, and orthopedic problems) to the endline ... I'm looking more and more for good angles, whereas many years go I would just sprint ahead of most of the players.
Bone spur, and osteoarthritis in right ankle. Femur-patella pain syndrome in left knee.

They shoot horses, don't they?