View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 18, 2018, 12:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rookies, Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I still work with the occasional veteran who ... mirrors the attempt signal.
We have rookies, and other inexperienced officials, doing this, not veterans. These young'uns seem to confuse the three point attempt signal with the successful three point goal signal. Sometimes they just want to incorrectly mirror everything.

Two person game. The three point attempt signal (three fingers) is only used in one's primary coverage area. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the trail's primary, only the trail gives the successful three point goal (touchdown) signal. Period.

If the successful three point goal comes from the lead's primary, both the lead, and the trail, give the successful three point goal signal.

It seems difficult for rookies, and other inexperienced officials, to understand this signal progression.

Here in Connecticut we have an additional "Connecticut only" signal. In our primary coverage area, we point to floor for a two point field goal attempt when the shooter has a foot touching the three point line.

We also used to have a not closely guarded "Connecticut only" signal (arms spread wide apart), but IAABO International made us give it up, saying the correct signal was just not counting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Feb 18, 2018 at 01:55pm.