The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Apparently an assignor said you cannot go back to 5 seconds which means you have to take time off.
That assignor "college guy" is wrong according to NFHS rules.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
My buddy went to our association meeting last night and asked our assignor about this situation. The assignor works college and high school as well. His message was basically somebody better have a count. If nobody does, you can't go back to 5 seconds but he laughed when asked about the calculus of using dribble time, shot time, etc. Glad this thread was brought up, I feel like I learned a valuable lesson about tracking time at the end of halves. I'll be adding it to my pregame.
To be honest, I am glad this came up as well. Even though there are some disagreements here, I learned a valuable lesson.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That assignor "college guy" is wrong according to NFHS rules.
I hope I misinterpret your comment. Assignor college guy has done multiple state championships at the 4a level here in Iowa over the past 10 years (largest school class), worked until very recently in a high position for the athletic union, and wrote test questions for NFHS. I have a lot of respect for him as an official and assignor, and as long as he continues to be a great official and the assignor for the biggest conference in our state, his word will take precedent in my world. Sometimes taking a step back and looking at what is good for the game isn't a terrible thing. I don't like taking time off the clock, but he's got a hell of a lot more experience and pull than I do around here so that's that for me. I encourage you all to shoot your assignor an email with this situation and let us know what they say. I don't think having more guys who are actually pulling strings chime in rather than a bunch of guys who enjoy debating the merits of the rule book would be a bad thing.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hope I misinterpret your comment. Assignor college guy has done multiple state championships at the 4a level here in Iowa over the past 10 years (largest school class), worked until very recently in a high position for the athletic union, and wrote test questions for NFHS. I have a lot of respect for him as an official and assignor, and as long as he continues to be a great official and the assignor for the biggest conference in our state, his word will take precedent in my world. Sometimes taking a step back and looking at what is good for the game isn't a terrible thing. I don't like taking time off the clock, but he's got a hell of a lot more experience and pull than I do around here so that's that for me. I encourage you all to shoot your assignor an email with this situation and let us know what they say. I don't think having more guys who are actually pulling strings chime in rather than a bunch of guys who enjoy debating the merits of the rule book would be a bad thing.
I've know plenty of very charismatic officials working at all levels that make up just about anything and make people believe it. That doesn't make it right.

The fact is the NFHS has covered this many times and he's wrong.

If you don't like (and he doesn't like it), perhaps you/he should make an effort to get the rule changed instead of doing what you think is better.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You aren't misinterpreting my statement at all. He's flat out wrong to state that you cannot leave the clock at five seconds. The NFHS rule is that if an official doesn't have definite knowledge, which is actually seeing the time on the clock (when it is running and needs to stop or knowing what it was before it improperly started or consulting with the timer who knows) or having a count (when it is stopped and should be running), then no adjustment may be made. That is the rule.

Note that he advises you to have a count. I hope that isn't also advising you to lie or make up a count, if no one had one. That lacks integrity. My problem with people who advocate that a mental count is fine and can be used is that it is impossible to tell such from not having a count and just making up a number. Personally, I will never take time off the clock without a visual count. That way I will never be accused of making something up.

BTW I've worked several state championship games and done a few years at the college level too. I can also tell you that Camron has worked state championship games in his state. Your guy's resume makes him worth listening to, but doesn't make him correct.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 08:07am
Courageous When Prudent

If a player takes two dribbles and no one takes any time off the clock, then the the crew lacks basic common sense.

And no one is going to accuse any official of cheating if they take time off without a visual count; unless that official has a history of poor integrity.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Sat Nov 04, 2017 at 08:11am.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 01:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Assigners ???

Quote:
... assignor ... encourage you all to shoot your assignor an email with this situation ...
Assigners? Here in Connecticut, we would be questioning interpreters (maybe called clinicians, or trainers, in other states) in regard to rule interpretations.

Assigners, called commissioners here in Connecticut, are certainly well versed in the rules, and have resumes with many state tournament games on them, but they are mainly hired because they are well organized, understand how to fairly assign the right officials, with the right partners, to various type of games, and can also act as a go between between the officials and the schools, principals, athletic directors, and coaches.

While commissioners may be well versed in the rules, that's not the main reason why they are hired here in Connecticut. Interpreters are the rule experts, and are the final local, or state, authority when it comes to rule interpretations. Interpreters will often work closely together with commissioners in response to difficult rule questions from schools, principals, athletic directors, and coaches.

Posted with the usual caveat, "When in Rome ...".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 04, 2017 at 01:43pm.