The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

Question

15U: I was working with an experienced umpire that just started calling Dixie. R1 on third and R2 on first, 1 out. The B/R swings at a ball in the dirt for strike 3. R2 was running on the pitch. The first base coach yells for the batter to "run". My partner, the plate umpire, never signals an out and allows the runner to continue to first. Of course the catcher overthows the first baseman and both runs score. What is the proper mechanic for the PU and BU in this situation? I loudly called the B/R "out" after the catcher's throw to keep her from confusing the defense any further. I also realize that the defense is responsible to know the situation and not make the throw.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I'd throw him out, but you know me, trigger-happy and all...
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Sounds like your partner screwed up......You did the right thing however. Once the play is completely over, then rule the original batter runner out......

Be prepared to explain your actions to both coaches though.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by alabamabluezebra
... snip ... I also realize that the defense is responsible to know the situation and not make the throw.
And the runners get whatever they can unless the ball goes dead.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

AB, which he are you going to throw out? The first base coach was a she, the runner was a she, and the PU was a she-it. After the inning, both the PU and the defensive coach asked me "what was going on with that play?" and I feel like the offensive coach intentionally told the runner to "go" causing the confusion. Just another game working with a Dixie rookie. Saturday I get to call two with our UIC.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

There is nothing wrong with the 1st base coach telling the B/R to run. If the players make the mistake of trying to get her out, it is their fault. If the B/R interfered in the play, then there would be consequences.

When I was playing ball growing up that was one of our favorite trick plays. If the defense took the bait, all the better. Defense should have known the situation.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to AlabamaBlue
I was just joking. I was gonna say throw him out no matter what the situation was

I think the only things you can do are either shout that the batter is out as soon as you realize that the PU didn't/isn't. Or, let the play finish, then announce that the batter is out and prepare to explain why.

I called with JF last night and talked to him about stuff like this, umpires not knowing the basics. I really think we need to have a mandatory clinic or 2 before the season and not just sit and shoot the bull like we usually do.
Old Fri Jun 06, 2003, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

"BATTER'S OUT! BATTER'S OUT!"

Then anything that happens after that is the catcher's problem.

Bob