The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 05:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
The key with the above case us "during a dribble", implying the dribbler was already in progress. If the is thrown into the air, then the dribble wasn't already in progress.
Case or rule? (Nevadaref cited a rule, not a caseplay.)

I picked up on that "during" also, making a perfect rule citation (except no rule violation listed in Rule 9, which only deals with second dribbles) for a batted ball during a dribble (the ball in the caseplay wasn't dribbled a second time, I'm not sure that is was dribbled a first time, but do know that the dribble was started). Can't a player start a dribble (release the ball toward the floor) and catch it before it hits the floor (especially if he never moves his feet)? The dribble started but did a dribble occur (so there can be a second illegal dribble)?

But the caseplay says thrown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
4.44.3 SITUATION D: A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is illegal. (9-4)
Nevadaref's rule citation has got to cover the violation in the caseplay. So why don't the caseplay numbers (both dealing with travels) match?

Nevadaref's rule citation gives me some measure of certainty that this is an illegal dribble violation, but there is still a glimmer of a travel violation (moving his pivot foot in excess of prescribed limits while holding the ball?) here.

Stupid NFHS rules editors.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 24, 2017 at 06:11pm.
Old Mon Jul 24, 2017, 09:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Several Steps ...

Quote:
4.44.3 SITUATION D: A1 throws the ball over the head of B1 and then takes several steps before catching it. RULING: Since the ball did not touch the floor, the tossing and subsequent catch is illegal. (9-4)
"Several steps."

Sounds more like a travel than a double (illegal) dribble.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jul 25, 2017 at 05:45am.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 07:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Case or rule? (Nevadaref cited a rule, not a caseplay.)

I picked up on that "during" also, making a perfect rule citation (except no rule violation listed in Rule 9, which only deals with second dribbles) for a batted ball during a dribble (the ball in the caseplay wasn't dribbled a second time, I'm not sure that is was dribbled a first time, but do know that the dribble was started). Can't a player start a dribble (release the ball toward the floor) and catch it before it hits the floor (especially if he never moves his feet)? The dribble started but did a dribble occur (so there can be a second illegal dribble)?.....
Can a player stay in one spot and bat the ball from one hand to the other? Can a player stay in one spot and throw the ball up in the air and catch it?

Of course he can, so there is no "dribble" started.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 05:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Gotta Be A Travel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
... so there is no "dribble" started.
I thought so, because the ball never reached the floor. So how, as believed by some Forum members, can it be a double (illegal) dribble? Not only wasn't there a second dribble, there wasn't even a first dribble.

4-15-3: The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball
to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted.

Old Tue Jul 25, 2017, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's already covered by 4-15-2. A player is not permitted to touch the ball a second time during a dribble prior to it striking the floor.
I have always had trouble with this (sorry for getting off topic).

1) A1 is holding the ball in his right hand by having his hand under the ball. He simply removes his right hand and allows the ball to strike the floor.

Is that considered a dribble? Doesn't seem to be based on the definition of a dribble.

2) A1 is dribbling the ball with his right hand. A1 makes a move that results in the ball, after striking the floor and on an upward motion, deflecting off his left hand. With the ball still in the air, A1 continues dribbling with the right hand. Based on 4-15-2, that would be an illegal dribble. I really do not see any official calling that. Or might it be considered an interrupted dribble and be legal by rule? Think of how many times dribblers literally touch the ball a second time before their dribble hits the floor. Happens all the time and I have never seen it called.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 07:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post

1) A1 is holding the ball in his right hand by having his hand under the ball. He simply removes his right hand and allows the ball to strike the floor.

Is that considered a dribble? Doesn't seem to be based on the definition of a dribble.

2) A1 is dribbling the ball with his right hand. A1 makes a move that results in the ball, after striking the floor and on an upward motion, deflecting off his left hand. With the ball still in the air, A1 continues dribbling with the right hand. Based on 4-15-2, that would be an illegal dribble. I really do not see any official calling that. Or might it be considered an interrupted dribble and be legal by rule? Think of how many times dribblers literally touch the ball a second time before their dribble hits the floor. Happens all the time and I have never seen it called.
1. Yes.

2. I've never seen that
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 07:30am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

I've called it. Been a while, but I have.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Start with a player holding the ball.
Any deliberate action by the player to release the ball is either a dribble, a pass, or a try for goal. An accidental release of the ball is a fumble.
Given that we can now answer your above questions.
1. Since the release is deliberate (dropping the ball on purpose), this isn't a fumble. We also can easily determine that it is not an attempt to throw for goal, so it is not a try. That leaves a pass or dribble. If the ball goes to another player it is a pass by NFHS definition. If it goes straight to the floor, it is a dribble by NFHS definition. You may wait to see who touches it next, if you so desire to determine between dribble and pass, if the situation warrants. However, you are certainly correct to deem that this action meets the definition of a dribble as soon as it reaches the floor because dropping the ball is merely "throwing" it without the player imparting any force and allowing just gravity to act upon the ball and take it to the floor.

2. Yes, that is an illegal dribble by rule. A player is not allowed two separate touches between bounces during a dribble. If you are not calling this, you are missing a violation.
Quick story: I was a PG in HS. My frosh coach actually taught us this illegal dribble move to split double teams. He even told us it was illegal and added that the officials will almost never call it because it happens so fast. The concept was a hard bounce of the ball wit your outside hand (away from the double team/trap) and when the ball came back up to that hand to quickly bat it across your belly to your other hand as you stepped through/between the trap and then bounce the ball with your other hand and continue on. After some practice, I got pretty good at it and the coach was right that the officials almost never whistled it.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 08:23am.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Can a player stay in one spot and bat the ball from one hand to the other? Can a player stay in one spot and throw the ball up in the air and catch it?

Of course he can, so there is no "dribble" started.
This helps answers some of Billy's questions. There is more to the story though. This is an instance in which it is helpful to know the history of NFHS basketball rules. Consult the NFHS basketball handbook if you can obtain one. It has a listing of all of the rules changes by year. One of them is the elimination of the air-dribble. Yes, there was something called an air-dribble many years ago.
A player could progress down the court by continually tapping the ball into the air while moving, like a seal hitting a beach ball with its nose. Now the definition of a dribble says that the ball must strike the floor and another part of that definition states that a player may not touch the ball twice between bounces on the floor. So for the action of a dribble to be legal the ball must strike the floor and this makes the old air-dribble an illegal dribble.
The NFHS also created rules to define a dribble for a motionless player. A player who stands still and bounces the ball is considered to be dribbling. A player who stands still and tosses the ball from one hand to the other or up into the air and catches it is not. A player who holds the ball and touches it to the floor is not. Why is that the case? Because the NFHS chose to make it so. Those are axiomatic cases.
Now to the remaining case, which is most important, and what Billy inquires about. Player who tosses the ball into the air and moves his pivot foot. We know from the traveling rule that the ball must be released prior to the pivot foot being lifted or a traveling violation has occurred, so we can ignore that part and focus on the sequence of toss and then move.
In this case if the player touches the ball before it strikes the floor, then that is the old air-dribble which is illegal. Therefore, an illegal dribble is the correct call. (This is precisely why Mary S was incorrect to alter the type of violation from illegal dribble to traveling in the NFHS Case Book several years ago. The player isn't holding the ball and excessively moving his pivot foot. He is dribbling in an illegal manner while attempting to move on the court.)
So a player who throws the ball in order to start a dribble, must allow it to strike the floor before touching it again. Doing otherwise has been deemed an illegal action and doesn't meet the definition of a proper dribble.

Obviously, all of the above is only for a player in control of the ball who deliberately releases it. If a player doesn't have control and is batting the ball into the air in an attempt to get it or accidentally has the ball slip from his grasp, none of the above dribbling or traveling rules apply. The official must make a judgment call on the factors of control and the release.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 08:49am.
Old Wed Jul 26, 2017, 04:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient History ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Now to the remaining case, which is most important, and what Billy inquires about. Player who tosses the ball into the air and moves his pivot foot. We know from the traveling rule that the ball must be released prior to the pivot foot being lifted or a traveling violation has occurred, so we can ignore that part and focus on the sequence of toss and then move. In this case if the player touches the ball before it strikes the floor, then that is the old air-dribble which is illegal. Therefore, an illegal dribble is the correct call. (This is precisely why Mary S was incorrect to alter the type of violation from illegal dribble to traveling in the NFHS Case Book several years ago. The player isn't holding the ball and excessively moving his pivot foot. He is dribbling in an illegal manner while attempting to move on the court.) So a player who throws the ball in order to start a dribble, must allow it to strike the floor before touching it again. Doing otherwise has been deemed an illegal action and doesn't meet the definition of a proper dribble.
Thanks. Nice explanation Nevadaref, and a good history lesson. And that's the problem, ancient history. The only illegal dribble violation mentioned in the current NFHS rulebook in Rule 9 Violations is: 9-5 ILLEGAL DRIBBLE A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended.

We do have this: 4-15: ART. 2 During a dribble the ball may be batted into the air provided it is permitted to strike the floor before the ball is touched again with the hand(s); but there's nothing about this situation in Rule 9 Violations.

I don't doubt the validity of Nevadaref's air dribble explanation, too bad it just doesn't match the current violations as written.

Is the air dribble related to the air guitar?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 26, 2017 at 05:08pm.