The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Had a couple of these in American Legion games last week, both were probably HTBT but still wanted to get some opinions anyway. I'll try to explain them to the best of my ability.

1) R1, 1 out. Ground ball to F6, tosses to F4 for the out at 2B, no chance for double play even though F4 goes ahead and makes the throw, way late. Almost as soon as F4 gets the ball and the runner slides, the defensive coach starts hollering, "He overslid the bag, that's gotta be interference!" Now I know that oversliding the bag, in and of itself, is not interference, BUT one could theoretically interfere because of oversliding the bag. At what point would we say a runner sliding into 2B has interfered by oversliding the bag? (Note: Legion ball uses FPSR similar to NFHS, it may be the exact same thing, not sure.)

I was PU, my partner asked for my help since he was turning with the ball to F3. Around here, they teach us in high school mechanics that PU has the call on the INT at 2B in 2-man. I saw the play but judged that R1 had not interfered because even though there was some contact with F4, the runner had made a legal slide straight into the bag and the contact was on the first-base side of the bag. In other words, the contact was not made BECAUSE he overslid the bag. The coach did not care for my explanation, but he didn't get too upset.

2) R1, R2, 1 out. Ground ball to the left side of the infield. F5 dives for the ball and comes up just short. About that time, R2 and F5 collide. R2 scores easily, but the third-base coach asks why there was no interference. I didn't tell him that the term he was looking for was "obstruction." At what point is the fielder no longer considered to be in the act of fielding a batted ball? And if he dives and misses and the runner makes contact with him just a split-second later, should that be considered obstruction or just a "train wreck"? Since the runner scored easily, it didn't really matter if he had been obstructed in this case. But if he had been thrown out at the plate, there could have been a major argument. And if I had called interference, we might have had an even bigger argument.

Just wanted everyone's thoughts on these plays. Thanks.
Old Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

When the base runner slides beyond the base but does not make contact with the fielder or alter the play of the defensive player, interference shall not be called. The key words here are contact, and alter. Contact on the 1b side with a legal slide is not interference.

When the ball goes past the fielder trying to field it interference is no longer a possibility, on that fielder. Sounds like the contact you describe was a train wreck, no obstruction, no interference.

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Bigwes,

I agree with your calls however, the one statement that puzzles me is, "(Note: Legion ball uses FPSR similar to NFHS, it may be the exact same thing, not sure.)"

Why are you "not sure."

It sounds like you do HS ball, and Am. Legion rules are highly publisized, so I don't understand.

I am not being critical, but I run across several officials that believe after HS ball, there is no longer a need to study the rules. I am not accusing you of that, just...., well...., I think you get the point.

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Bigwes,

I agree with your calls however, the one statement that puzzles me is, "(Note: Legion ball uses FPSR similar to NFHS, it may be the exact same thing, not sure.)"

Why are you "not sure."

It sounds like you do HS ball, and Am. Legion rules are highly publisized, so I don't understand.

I am not being critical, but I run across several officials that believe after HS ball, there is no longer a need to study the rules. I am not accusing you of that, just...., well...., I think you get the point.

jicecone,

What I should have clarified is that I'm not 100% sure if it's the exact same wording and everything as the NFHS rule. But I know they are very similar.
Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by bigwes68

Had a couple of these in American Legion games last week, both were probably HTBT but still wanted to get some opinions anyway. I'll try to explain them to the best of my ability.

1) R1, 1 out. Ground ball to F6, tosses to F4 for the out at 2B, no chance for double play even though F4 goes ahead and makes the throw, way late. Almost as soon as F4 gets the ball and the runner slides, the defensive coach starts hollering, "He overslid the bag, that's gotta be interference!" Now I know that oversliding the bag, in and of itself, is not interference, BUT one could theoretically interfere because of oversliding the bag. At what point would we say a runner sliding into 2B has interfered by oversliding the bag? (Note: Legion ball uses FPSR similar to NFHS, it may be the exact same thing, not sure.)

If you are not sure then look up the rules. Here's the link

Legion as a collision rule ala the NCAA and a FPSR ala FED.

http://www.wmbumpires.com/2005_Legion_Rules.htm

Old Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Legion as a collision rule ala the NCAA and a FPSR ala FED.

Both of these rules are the NCAA rule (not that it matters, from a practical standpoint, for the FPSR).