The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 10:58am
This IS My Social Life

OOB or TI Violation - An Update

Situation: A1 releases an endline throw-in pass to A2 who is standing out of bounds off the sideline.
Ruling: Out of Bounds violation or Throw-In Violation?
Result: Throw-in at spot of violation, whichever it is determined to be.

Did some study on it and found this previously published 2007/08 Interpretation:
SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

Has anything changed since then with the relevant rules since that time to reverse that interpretation from making the above situation an OOB violation and not a Throw-In violation?
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Situation: A1 releases an endline throw-in pass to A2 who is standing out of bounds off the sideline.
Ruling: Out of Bounds violation or Throw-In Violation?
Result: Throw-in at spot of violation, whichever it is determined to be.

Did some study on it and found this previously published 2007/08 Interpretation:
SITUATION 3: During an alternating-possession throw-in for Team A, thrower A1 passes the ball directly on the court where it contacts (a) A2 or (b) B2, while he/she is standing on a boundary line. RULING: Out-of-bounds violation on (a) A2; (b) B2. The player was touched by the ball while out of bounds, thereby ending the throw-in. The alternating-possession arrow is reversed and pointed toward Team B's basket when the throw-in ends (when A2/B2 is touched by the ball). A throw-in is awarded at a spot nearest the out-of-bounds violation for (a) Team B; (b) Team A. (4-42-5; 6-4-4; 9-2-2; 9-3-2)

Has anything changed since then with the relevant rules since that time to reverse that interpretation from making the above situation an OOB violation and not a Throw-In violation?
Why would this be a throw-in violation?
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Nothing has changed. In fact, the interp you cited *was* the change (I think -- I didn't really go back and check) from the misguided, short-lived "this is a TI violation" interp.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Sun Jul 09, 2017 at 02:22pm.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misguided ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why would this be a throw-in violation?
Because about thirty years ago it was a throwin violation for not throwing the ball directly to someone on the court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
... the misguided, short-lived "this is a TI violation" interp.
With apologies to General Douglas Macarthur, old rules never die, they just fade away, and sometimes it takes them a long, long time to fade away.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 09, 2017 at 02:10pm.
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Because about thirty years ago it was a throwin violation for not throwing the ball directly to someone on the court.

With apologies to General Douglas Macarthur, old rules never die, they just fade away, and sometimes it takes them a long, long time to fade away.
Glad officials are worrying about 30 year old rules today....
Old Sun Jul 09, 2017, 02:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thirty Years Is Too Long ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Glad officials are worrying about 30 year old rules today..
I'm not worried about them, I just can't believe that the interpretation hangs around as some type of "myth" thirty years after it's deleted from the casebook.

Those that subscribe to this interpretation aren't as "rule stupid" as many may believe. They just have a fuzzy historical perspective.

Telling them that this was an actual interpretation at one time may make them feel less embarrassed about being wrong.

This old interpretation shows up on the Forum about once, or twice, each year.

When will it die?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jul 09, 2017 at 03:11pm.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2017, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Actually, the NFHS Rules Book switched this to a throw-in violation with the ensuing throw-in coming from the original spot about 8-10 years ago. That only lasted about two years and then the NFHS "corrected"/changed the penalty section to rule that this is an OOB violation. It has been OOB ever since.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 11, 2017 at 02:11am.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2017, 02:58am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Actually, the NFHS Rules Book switched this to a throw-in violation with the ensuing throw-in coming from the original spot about 8-10 years ago. The only lasted about two years and then the NFHS "corrected"/changed the penalty section to rule that this is an OOB violation. It has been OOB ever since.
Thank you and all others except for one who responded with the verification I was looking for in order to provide an answer to the official who asked me. That should do it.
Old Wed Jul 12, 2017, 04:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm not worried about them, I just can't believe that the interpretation hangs around as some type of "myth" thirty years after it's deleted from the casebook. (snip)

When will it die?
In my sport, depending on you ask, the hands are part of the bat.
I have yet to see a bat for retail sale that includes hands.