The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

Back at the end of October I posted this thread: http://officialforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=6124 asking for advice in dealing with a problem I'd experienced with a senior official in my association. I received a lot of helpful advice from people on this board that I took to heart and did my best to apply in real life.

I just wanted to, first of all, thank everyone that gave me such great advice. Secondly, I thought I'd update the board on future developments in my officiating career. I'll begin with a recap: At the first practical evaluation I had a problem with the aforementioned senior official who singled me out in the middle of the court over a mechanics issue. My response was sub-adequate and I was lambasted for it. A second practical was held about a month after the first. In the days leading up to the evaluation I was a bundle of nerves. I felt ill every time I thought about it and was dreading walking into that gymn on the Saturday afternoon.

When I arrived the official with whom I'd had the previous issue was already there. As soon as he saw me he nodded and said "Hi Joel." He shadowed me during the scrimmage that followed and was effusive in his praise. I'd made a conscious effort to work on bending at the hip and I made sure that every time he corrected me on something I'd bob my head, say "Yes, sir" and get it right the next time. At the end he shook my hand, congratulated me and said he felt I had great potential. Last Monday, I passed the second Theory Exam and became a fully accredited official. My first assignment is a double-header this Saturday for a Bantam (Gr. 7 and 8) select tournament. I've decided to ask for advice this time before the big event. Any advice going into my first game?

Thanks again for the advice, past as well as future.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
My advice is quite simple. At this level call the obvious, relax, and try to enjoy the games.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Wink Well Done Grasshopper

Great job ewiar/Joel! You have used, and hopefully learned, a very powerful social skill. Hopefully you have learned from your evaluator's actions also.

Sometimes an evaluator's actions are meant to test your fortitude and social skills. Think back. What you got lambasted for was likely not your personality but rather an act/mechanic that you did on the court. You did well to get over it, learn the proper mechanic, and not bite back at the evaluator. No yeah buts. And you passed the lambasting test. No only did you prove your character but you have likely added a new temperance quality. Job well done! Sounds like you have also earned the respect of the evaluator... he remembered your name; he gave you praise.

Ride on that high into your next game. Show your confidence. Make your calls with certainty. Somewhere down the line you will be undeservedly lambasted again... hold your tongue just as you did before. If you ever feel things slipping away go back to your basic mechanics. Concentrate on your primary area - not the ball. After that, work on supporting your partner... use his name, give him some praise, tell him he made a good call and do it all in front of the players. Not only will they have more confidence in your partner, they will also have more confidence in you.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

Ewair-

I think you handled yourself very well with the evaluator.... For you upcoming games.....RELAX....Listen to your Partner.....Have fun!

AK ref SE
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Just hustle and have a good time. You won't be perfect this time out, nor will you ever be. Just continue to improve and do fine. Your attitude sounds like the right one for an official. Enjoy the game and remember it's OK to smile once in a while.

Z
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Relax and enjoy. My mentor says, "Hear the music!" After the game, drive quickly away, maybe three blocks. Park and write down five things you did right and five things you did wrong. Do this every game. Keep these, and read them all about once a month. You'll enjoy seeing your progress.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I worked my first games last weekend. So while not an expert, I can give some advice based on my experience.

1) Relax. You obviously know the rules and the mechanics. Don't let the atmosphere or nerves get to you. Do what you know and you'll be fine.

2) Learn. Your partner will undoubtedly have worked more games than you and you can learn from his/her experience. My partner had lots of experience, and was very willing to share with me.

3) Show respect. Your post shows that you know how to act in a tough situation. Make sure it shows during the game. My partner had several questionable situations during the game (only 1 had a direct effect on the game). I stood back and let him run the show. Between games we looked up the questioned rules and figured out the proper call. He appreciated my not showing him up, and I did not offend him.

4) Have fun. I've officiated at the intramural and recreation level for years, but this was my first high school game. The first 5 minutes I was a bundle of nerves, but after I relaxed and started enjoying myself it turned into a great experience.

Good Luck.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

effusive!!!

Now THAT is a 50 cent word.

Good Job. I was at camp and got lit up for a no-call on a play I should have had something by an instructor so I know it can be unnerving. Especially when you are trying to show someone you are capable. The key is to learn from all of this. Heck learn every time out....I do. Dont be afraid to ask the veterans you are working with or ahead of for feedback. You may disagree but listen to them intently without arguing with them. This way you will put off an attitude that you take officiating serious. People will talk. Better they say you blew a call and took feedback afterwards rather then you blew a call and are a jerk to boot! You can always bounce your position or situation off the "Old Guys" that reside here for additional feedback in the event someone says something and you disagree.

Good Luck

Larks
VIT - Veteran In Training