The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

HSM Update

Well,

I had another game in the frozen tundra of Ohio today, and I got to use my HSM again.

Unlike the last time I wore it, I was wearing an Underarmor head/ear cold weather hat/cover. The fit was much much better with the hat on under the HSM, maybe like those FB players who wear a skull cap under their helmets.

Even though this is my second game with the HSM, taking it off is as easy as doing a regular mask, but then I have been using an 8 stitch cap for years behind the plate, so it shouldn't be a problem for me. IMO, the only times you should treat an HSM any different than a regular mask is: 1. Don't take it off to brush the plate, and 2, keep it on between innings, unless you need the breeze on your head. Keeping it on frees your hands for the other things you are doing between innings, and brushing the plate is easier with it on than off.

The other big news was that I took a shot right on the cage tonight, and the HSM did a nice job. No blinks after the hit, just a thump, and that's it. Now it was a HS game, and I am sure I will take harder hits later in the season. But, the HSM is starting to feel comfortable, and I am really starting to like it.

I had a couple of times coaches were making switches between innings, and carrying the mask in your left hand makes it hard to write on a lineup card.

I did have a complaint about the HSM, AllStar did not leave very much stretch fabric straps to make adjustments to fit on the helmet, Just before I went on the field, I changed a strap, and by the time I took it off, the strapping had come undone. A slight irritation, but an irritation none the less. But, AllStar needs to be appaluded, the padding inside the HSM is great. It is very, very comfortable, and from other HSM's have I have seen it is a big improvement.

I just wish they made the opening in the cage a little wider. So many people who have worn HSM's say they have a much better viewing area for their eyes than a regular mask. In my experience, that is not the case. I see as well in this as my Wilson "NewView" mask, or even my older stuff.

When Summer nall comes, I will probably go back to a regular mask for kids games (13-16 yr. old stuff). All my other stuff from Legion on up I will use the HSM.

The worst thing about it is that my luck has not changed much-- I had another balk tonight, and some stupid asst. coach that said the BU has to call
that balk, not you. The balk? LH picks his foot up, steps right to HP, and throws to 1B. That's balk #5 on the season already, and usually don't have as many balks or dopey coaches all HS season long. Home team was down 7-1 in the bottom of the 7th, and scored 7 runs to win it. Heck, without the big comeback, the game is 1:40, with it, it was 2:00 nuts (but I'm complianing too much, in my first game with the HSM I beat the SB game by 20 minutes).

Comments?

Last edited by jkumpire; Mon Apr 16, 2007 at 09:34pm.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
I had a couple of times coaches were making switches between innings, and carrying the mask in your left hand makes it hard to write on a lineup card.
After a while, you will get the feel for tucking it under your left arm, just like a mask. It just feels funny at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkumpire
I did have a complaint about the HSM, All-Star did not leave very much stretch fabric straps to make adjustments to fit on the helmet, Just before I went on the field, I changed a strap, and by the time I took it off, the strapping had come undone.

I just wish they made the opening in the cage a little wider. So many people who have worn HSM's say they have a much better viewing area for their eyes than a regular mask. In my experience, that is not the case.
If you mean the straps are too short to get a good fit, you may have purchased the wrong size. They come in Small (5 1/8" or smaller hat size), and Large ( larger than 5 1/8" hat size). Your comment about the cage being wide enough also leads me to believe your helmet is too small.

I bought one of the first All-Star's, before they came out with the Small size. I wear a 5 1/8" hat, and am much happier with the Small size I purchased last year. I really didn't notice a reduction in view when I switched to it though.

I believe the Wilson Helmet has an even bigger opening than the All-Star, maybe you can try one of those instead. All models of something don't always work for everyone.

Good Luck,

Nick
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 03:01am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickrego
They come in Small (5 1/8" or smaller hat size), and Large ( larger than 5 1/8" hat size).

I wear a 5 1/8" hat, and am much happier with the Small size I purchased last year.
What, are you a midget or something? Are you sure you don't really mean 7 1/8"?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the points

Nick, No it's not the helmet size, it's the length of the straps.

It looks like I'll have another plate job today, so I will pass along another comment or two.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wear a 5 1/8" hat, and am much happier with the Small size I purchased last year.
Wow. No wonder you wear a helmet. After searching New Era, Richardson, Gerrydavis.com and honigs, I couldn't find a hat smaller than 6 3/4.

So, when you're accused of thinking with the "little head", there are two possibilities, eh?

Last edited by GarthB; Wed Apr 18, 2007 at 10:01am.
Old Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:32am
Official Forum Member

I wear a helmet. I like the protection on the clam shell type backstops, those with netting over part of the backstop, and those with close in backstops. When I have to wear my glasses, the helmet is less prone to taking my specs off when hit. A traditional mask will sometimes spin off taking my glasses with it. Tried glasses straps but the mask would still move my glasses some.

For the lower stretch straps, I take them off, roll one end a couple times, then sew it. It keeps the end from coming through the helmet, but allows me more adjustment to keep a loose fit for easy removal. I suspect the straps are shorter than I need because normally a catcher would wear the thing tight. This also makes the straps single in stead of double, giving them more flex/give when taking the lid off.

I notice a little space between my forehead and the padding. Weird for me as I have a narrow but long head (I used to have to melt a small amount of foam out of my M/C helmets to round the edge and keep from getting a sore head, yet keep a tight fit on the sides). I have added a little padding to fill the forehead gap. Not fluffy filler but some solid padding from an old helmet.

I do wear a hat most of the time, not a problem because of the loose straps.

I am currently not wearing a dangler.

Had a TAG helmet (large). Biggest shell I have found yet. But, there was a big gap to my forehead to keep correct eye alignment. Partially shell design I think, partially because of the flatter appearing cage.

Now using an Easton. Smaller forehead space, more rounded cage.

I do loosen the cage before first use and make sure the cage is as low as I can get. My theory is the helmets are still made for catchers, who are looking "up" most of the time. Umpres look level or down, this the alignment problem. There is a little cage adjustment available because of the mounting holes and retainers.

For me the most important sizing with a HSM is my chin. Whatever position I wear the helmet, my chin should NEVER be above the chin bar. If the chin pad were to fall off, I want my chin to hit the plastic, not the cage, or my protection would be nil. My son the catcher/umpire is in the 'tween size. A small helmet is getting a little tight on the sides, but a large is too big in "height" - his chin is not low enough to properly hit the chin pad. Tried (and returned) several large sizes from different manufacturers with no luck.

I gave up on the TAG helmet because the cage felt too flat. I took a direct hit and was a little woozy. The Easton cage is much more rounded and direct hits are not an issue so far.

Tucking the helmet is not a problem. Either hook a finger or two in the cage, or put wrist in the view window (the helmet will "stick") and hold it against your side.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:32am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What, are you a midget or something? Are you sure you don't really mean 7 1/8"?
Oh man, laughing hysterically !

Thanks for the correction. All sizes are "7", not "5".

Nick
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Oh man, laughing hysterically !

Thanks for the correction. All sizes are "7", not "5".
Nick, I was getting worried. I thought you may have taken a wrong turn while exploring the jungles of South America.
Old Thu Apr 19, 2007, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Game 3 with HSM

Other than a really screwy day, the HSM is workign out very well. I'm used to it, and while for some reasons I still like the traditional mask, the HSM is a great alternative.

My recomendation: If you wan an HSM, get the best one, and get one only for umpires. Yeah that limits the number of HSM you can get, but from what I have seen of catcher's models, the better alternative by far is a dedicated umpires model.