The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Some of the NCAAW mechanics (which are also NBA mechanics) I love and wish we had in NFHS. All those mechanics are not anything that require a higher "skill" level than the average high school referee.

That being said, I agree that NBA mechanics don't belong in high school simply because NBA officials, the best in the world, use them. (I think they call that argument post hoc ergo propter hoc, but it's been awhile since I took philosophy.)
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 02:28am
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Everybody that is in the NBA are professionals and very well trained and even evaluated on every little detail. We are not that even at the NCAA level in some cases. The table people are paid to do a job at the NBA. You might be lucky other than D1 if the person doing the shot clock is not some kid they got from the Lacrosse team. So many of the things the NBA tries or does is because they are dealing with much more competent and extensively trained officials. There are many officials that do not know when to rotate and we want to add things that they cannot even do properly that would be basic at the NBA level.

Peace
Take a breath, please, Rut...
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 08:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Some of the NCAAW mechanics (which are also NBA mechanics) I love and wish we had in NFHS. All those mechanics are not anything that require a higher "skill" level than the average high school referee.

That being said, I agree that NBA mechanics don't belong in high school simply because NBA officials, the best in the world, use them. (I think they call that argument post hoc ergo propter hoc, but it's been awhile since I took philosophy.)
Yes, we have mechanics because "the best in the world" use them so that is great logic for a level that has totally different rules and philosophies on all kinds of things.

Peace
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Yes, we have mechanics because "the best in the world" use them so that is great logic for a level that has totally different rules and philosophies on all kinds of things.

Peace
I'm not sure if you could tell or not, but I was agreeing with you and Rich, not disagreeing. There are NBA mechanics I prefer to NFHS, but we shouldn't implement them in high school just for the sake of being like the NBA.
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm not sure if you could tell or not, but I was agreeing with you and Rich, not disagreeing. There are NBA mechanics I prefer to NFHS, but we shouldn't implement them in high school just for the sake of being like the NBA.
I was not commenting on whether you agreed with me or not. I think the "best in the world" argument runs hollow to me and why I commented.

I was not talking about things like two-handed reporting or walking and talking, I am talking about primary coverages and philosophy for the most part the NBA holds. I think the NBA and even NCAA official is much more trained and competent to do some things. And the reality is that the NCAA has different rules which also would not easily apply to their level based on the NBA positions. At the high school level we have people that have never officiated before, that will officiate a game in the coming year. Or we have people that can hardly put two things together at the same time. Or better yet get certain officials to stop ball watching. Those are things that the NBA likely does not have to worry about in their systems. That was my point.

Peace
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 07:24pm
Ok is the new good

A peek behind the curtain reveals that 2 handed reporting and putting a warning in the book for bench decorum issues that do not rise to the level of a Tech are now part of the NFHS. Plus some editorial clean ups
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 08:52pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
A peek behind the curtain reveals that 2 handed reporting and putting a warning in the book for bench decorum issues that do not rise to the level of a Tech are now part of the NFHS. Plus some editorial clean ups
This is the best day of my life!
Old Mon May 01, 2017, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't care whether reporting is done with one or two hands. Just be the same for everyone.
Boo, hiss on recording a warning in the book for behavior. That behavior should be a T. Officials are just afraid to make that call.

Not looking forward to seeing what the NFHS screwed up with their editorial changes.
Save
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 05:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Someone with supposed "inside information" made a similar comment last year. The pot was stirred, we all held our breath, and then nothing happened.

So I'll believe it when I see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 07:01am
High Five Master

As someone who has only done this a few years, can someone please tell me why two handed reporting is such a big deal? I don't understand why. And I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use two hands!!
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 07:27am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
As someone who has only done this a few years, can someone please tell me why two handed reporting is such a big deal? I don't understand why. And I'm not sure I'm smart enough to use two hands!!
It's provocative, it gets the people going.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'll believe it when I see it, but I will cry tears of joy if it turns out to be as reality.
Quote:
It looks stronger and less robotic than one hand. One hand reporting is a dinosaur and no longer allowed at any level other than NFHS. The reasonings behind it being mandated at the high school level are largely unfounded. I've never worked a game where I used two hands and the table wasn't able to understand which number I was reporting.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 07:38am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I don't care whether reporting is done with one or two hands. Just be the same for everyone.
Boo, hiss on recording a warning in the book for behavior. That behavior should be a T. Officials are just afraid to make that call.

Not looking forward to seeing what the NFHS screwed up with their editorial changes.
Save

It won't change much for me. If I give a warning, it will simply be put in the book if this change is true. When I whack the coach later, it will simply be, "You were warned. It's in the book."

Anyone who whacks at the first unsportsmanlike behavior will have a short career. There are exceptions, but like it or not, warnings are part of the game that are here to stay. And the NFHS has been moving in that direction.....in baseball it's actually verbal warning, written warning, restriction, ejection for all but major unsportsmanlike acts.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It is because the big dogs do it that way. If they change back to 1 hand in 3-4 years, everyone will be clamoring for 1 hand reporting.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
They mostly want to look like the pros. I see no other reason that makes sense.

Peace