The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 13, 2017, 10:50pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I see it as 14 MORE feet that we have to police.

Why would you think that?
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 01:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Making the box bigger is not going to change coach behavior. The coaches who are idiots will still be idiots - the fact that he/she has 14 more feet to roam will just make it easier for everyone in the building to see him/her being an idiot.

The official warning will help a lot of coaches. Sometimes we get wound up because we see things going sideways. An official warning will let those of us who can control ourselves know it is time to exercise that control. And for those of us who are idiots...nothing will change that, so take care of business.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 02:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Making the box bigger is not going to change coach behavior. The coaches who are idiots will still be idiots - the fact that he/she has 14 more feet to roam will just make it easier for everyone in the building to see him/her being an idiot.
You are right, I am a little tired of having to worry about if a coach is in the box or not. And at least this gives them more room and being in the box is a lesser issue IMO. I hardly ever work a college game and worry about a coach being out of the box.

Peace
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 02:35pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You are right, I am a little tired of having to worry about if a coach is in the box or not. And at least this gives them more room and being in the box is a lesser issue IMO. I hardly ever work a college game and worry about a coach being out of the box.

Peace
When they're out of the box in a college game, it's usually, "Holy ****, look at where HE is." Whack.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
When they're out of the box in a college game, it's usually, "Holy ****, look at where HE is." Whack.
And NCAA-M and NCAA-W are recommending extending the coaching box to 38'
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

There is too much involvement in the game from the coaches. We have gone from captains talking to officials and picking FT shooters to coaches doing that, from no coaching box to 6 feet, to 14 feet, to 28 feet, and from players requesting time-outs to coaches doing it during play.

The rules committee has lost the proper balance and coaches are now over-emphasized. It's unfortunate. The trend is now to give coaches more freedoms and more power, yet less responsibility.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 04:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Agree ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am a little tired of having to worry about if a coach is in the box or not. And at least this gives them more room and being in the box is a lesser issue ...
Bingo.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 05:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is too much involvement in the game from the coaches. We have gone from captains talking to officials and picking FT shooters to coaches doing that, from no coaching box to 6 feet, to 14 feet, to 28 feet, and from players requesting time-outs to coaches doing it during play.

The rules committee has lost the proper balance and coaches are now over-emphasized. It's unfortunate. The trend is now to give coaches more freedoms and more power, yet less responsibility.
Would you prefer this coaching box:

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue May 16, 2017 at 04:20am.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Is it filled with water?
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 05:44pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Coaches in every sport that I can think of are apart of the game and the decision making process. I really do not care either way. We have tools to take care of them if they get out of hand. We really need to get over it honestly.

Peace
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 05:47pm
Get away from me, Steve.

As a part-time HS administrator, I've learned that the coaches are the ones that (we hope) stay through many classes of kids. Kids and their parents come and go -- it's the coach that provides continuity of the program.

For some reason, some officials think they should be marginalized / minimized -- I find that ludicrous.
Old Mon May 15, 2017, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it filled with water?
Soundproof?
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 01:08am
AremRed

Nevadaref, probably

Old Tue May 16, 2017, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Funny - I worked some 7th grade (boys and girls) tournament games over the weekend with a couple of officials from my group in the Bay Area.

We talked about the new rules but habits die hard. I was using one hand to report though I'll switch to two hand eventually. I still have some kids and adult league games I work so plenty of time to practice.

The new warning rule is interesting though I didn't apply it. I had a bang-bang play that I called a block and the coach went ballistic. She was yelling at me and stomping her feet. After I reported the foul I issued the technical. I assume that would be considered a major situation!
Old Tue May 16, 2017, 06:17am
Esteemed Forum Member

It's Gonna Happen, It's Gonna Happen ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach41 View Post
... the coach went ballistic. She was yelling at me and stomping her feet ... I issued the technical ...
After which she asked, "Don't you have to warn me first?"
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)