The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Ex-NBA and college official part of FBI arrests

https://sports.yahoo.com/meet-rashan...214744140.html

Another black mark for officiating comes out of the FBI probe.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 05:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

How does this reflect upon officiating? He is an EX-official, and as far as I can discern, all this crap is post-officiating.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 07:22pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
How does this reflect upon officiating? He is an EX-official, and as far as I can discern, all this crap is post-officiating.
Here's a quote from the article that seems to indict the officiating profession, or at the least him, of something insidious:

"After working as an NBA and college referee, it was time to take his hustle elsewhere."
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

The "Hustle" refers to the fact that he did not have what it takes to officiate at those levels, even with esteemed recommendations. He may have used connections made during his officiating career to launch his clothing business. This article does not read like a black eye on officials rather, a black eye for the ever unfurling scandals in collegiate sports.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 08:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Here's a quote from the article that seems to indict the officiating profession, or at the least him, of something insidious:

"After working as an NBA and college referee, it was time to take his hustle elsewhere."
I didn't read that to say he was corrupt while being a referee, just a choice of words to describe the fact that the changed jobs.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 08:24pm
This IS My Social Life

Ah, the writer deemed that his mobility in that T to new L transition was admirable. I get it now.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 09:52pm
Administrator

I know that there is this FBI investigation, but what were the charges against this form basketball official. My take from the article is that all he did was use his contacts to make his suit business a successful one.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I know that there is this FBI investigation, but what were the charges against this form basketball official. My take from the article is that all he did was use his contacts to make his suit business a successful one.

MTD, Sr.
The actual indictment alleges that Michel conspired with an agent and Person. Michel had relationship with Person. Michel put deal together with Person and agent. Agent would pay Person to steer players to him. Agent would also pay families money to go to Auburn. Agent funnel players to Michel for clothes. Michel arrranged the deals. It's a federal crime because auburn university receives some federal funding. Conspiracy commit Bribery etc.
Old Wed Nov 08, 2017, 11:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The actual indictment alleges that Michel conspired with an agent and Person. Michel had relationship with Person. Michel put deal together with Person and agent. Agent would pay Person to steer players to him. Agent would also pay families money to go to Auburn. Agent funnel players to Michel for clothes. Michel arrranged the deals. It's a federal crime because auburn university receives some federal funding. Conspiracy commit Bribery etc.

Thanks for the information.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio