The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Tweaking the bonus rule would have been a tough sell because whether the committee liked it or not, the reality is that more than a few states have unilaterally chosen to play the game in halves.
The NCAAM post-season NIT tournament reset the fouls at 9:59 remaining of each half. This was done during play. No stoppage needed.

It's clear to me that any states playing in halves would simply take this approach.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
While they do not get a turn in the regional rotation to have a representative on the NFHS rules committee, those states are not prohibited from submitting rules changes for the committee's consideration as evidenced by California submitting a change proposal this year.
In addition, all of those states that modify a few rules largely still go by NFHS rules for the rest and probably have their officials buy the NFHS rule books. The states can't legally distribute the NFHS rules otherwise. Some might use NCAA rules and that is certainly their right, but they're never going to get the NCAA to change anything for them.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 07:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The NCAAM post-season NIT tournament reset the fouls at 9:59 remaining of each half. This was done during play. No stoppage needed.

It's clear to me that any states playing in halves would simply take this approach.
I hope that gimmicky mess does not spread. If you want to reset the foul count, then play by quarters.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I hope that gimmicky mess does not spread. If you want to reset the foul count, then play by quarters.

+1. Or honor the intent of two shots at 5, but simplify modify to two shots at 10 for games played in halves. Still gets rid of 1-and-1, which would reduce rough play and sometimes goofy penalty administration on free throws (the main reason NCAAW made their switch two years ago).

If anyone is annoyed by my trivial posts....sorry. It's April, and I'm kind of bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
+1. Or honor the intent of two shots at 5, but simplify modify to two shots at 10 for games played in halves. Still gets rid of 1-and-1, which would reduce rough play and sometimes goofy penalty administration on free throws (the main reason NCAAW made their switch two years ago).
That was the rule at the AAU tournament my son just played.

I'm personally dubious about it limiting rough play. Sure, you eliminate a few free throw rebounding events, but you also lessen the consequences of fouls because it takes longer to get to bonus. Seems to me you just get different rough play from it.

(And maybe I'm biased here, too, as back in the dark ages when I played, I worked really hard on getting offensive rebounds on FTs -- which was also easier before they moved the defender a slot further from the bucket.)
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 11:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

My biggest concern with waiting till 10 for the bonus in halves is that if a team only has 3 fouls and they need 7 take fouls.....it would get kind of ridiculous.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 01:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Totally agree but even the reset IMO is unnecessary.

Quote:
Still gets rid of 1-and-1, which would reduce rough play and sometimes goofy penalty administration on free throws (the main reason NCAAW made their switch two years ago).
I still think there is a premium in making FTs. And I think you should have to make them with the idea that the other team will get the ball if you miss.

Also I think all of that would be good if we played a longer game. Thirty-Two minutes is not a lot of time. And if a team plays a certain way you will never get to 10 fouls. Now you are promoting for fouls that will not result in FTs at a certain point of the game. I just do not like that standard. I will adjust if this is a change, but I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish other than being the same as another level, when the biggest amateur level does not even use that rule or play quarters.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Also I think all of that would be good if we played a longer game. Thirty-Two minutes is not a lot of time. And if a team plays a certain way you will never get to 10 fouls. Now you are promoting for fouls that will not result in FTs at a certain point of the game. I just do not like that standard.
WI and MN didn't change the bonus rule, but did go to 36 minutes in recent years. I'd be willing to bet what you pointed out was part of that calculus. Plus....as both a player and fan, 32 minutes goes by way too fast. You can barely get to and from the concession stand without missing a third of the game. I like 36 minutes a lot.

Quote:
I will adjust if this is a change, but I am not sure what they are trying to accomplish other than being the same as another level, when the biggest amateur level does not even use that rule or play quarters.

I'm not the PC police, but you're lucky there aren't too many female officials on this forum. That's a provocative thing to say.

Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
My biggest concern with waiting till 10 for the bonus in halves is that if a team only has 3 fouls and they need 7 take fouls.....it would get kind of ridiculous.
I agree. Im not sure id do anything different. Waiting til 10 fouls for any FTs will certainly benefit defense. I think with rule changes etc and my opinion of game, i want free flowing movement. Cutters get to cut, dribblers dribble etc. I might actually favor less fouls to reach bonus. 10 fouls promotes aggressive play. Now, if we reduce bonus to 5 fouls im not sure that teams would adjust because kids cant make FTs these days. All is above my pay grade. Id have to think a lot more to decide what i think would be best...
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I'm not the PC police, but you're lucky there aren't too many female officials on this forum. That's a provocative thing to say.

I dont see it as provacative.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 02:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
If they were offended, so what? The reality is that most people pay attention to Men's basketball and the NBA. The Women's side is spending too much time trying to be like the WNBA which is run by the NBA. I do not think that appeals to many that support high school sports. And I have to listen all year about why the Women's college does something and we should adopt it. Well I do not want NBA rules to be NF rules, so if this is a problem for Women's officials for me or others to not accept those rules, so be it.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I the only on who has no idea where this came from?
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 09:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
If they were offended, so what? The reality is that most people pay attention to Men's basketball and the NBA. The Women's side is spending too much time trying to be like the WNBA which is run by the NBA. I do not think that appeals to many that support high school sports. And I have to listen all year about why the Women's college does something and we should adopt it. Well I do not want NBA rules to be NF rules, so if this is a problem for Women's officials for me or others to not accept those rules, so be it.

Peace

I'm with you. Seeing above that people think NBA mechanics have a place in HS hoops amazes me.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2017, 11:49pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm with you. Seeing above that people think NBA mechanics have a place in HS hoops amazes me.
Why don't/shouldn't they have a place in HS hoops?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2017, 07:53am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Why don't/shouldn't they have a place in HS hoops?
Everybody that is in the NBA are professionals and very well trained and even evaluated on every little detail. We are not that even at the NCAA level in some cases. The table people are paid to do a job at the NBA. You might be lucky other than D1 if the person doing the shot clock is not some kid they got from the Lacrosse team. So many of the things the NBA tries or does is because they are dealing with much more competent and extensively trained officials. There are many officials that do not know when to rotate and we want to add things that they cannot even do properly that would be basic at the NBA level.

Peace