The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It is because the big dogs do it that way. If they change back to 1 hand in 3-4 years, everyone will be clamoring for 1 hand reporting.
For me, it's the fact that there's NO WAY with 2 handed reporting to catch only the beginning or the end of the report. You get it ALL with one signal.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:23am
This IS My Social Life

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
A peek behind the curtain reveals that 2 handed reporting and putting a warning in the book for bench decorum issues that do not rise to the level of a Tech are now part of the NFHS. Plus some editorial clean ups
If the Officials Manual gives us 2-handed reporting, I hope they have the presence of mind to revise 2-9-1 to match.

And while they're at it, maybe get rid of that "Back to the Future" RULING in 9.12.

Then maybe also put the word "legally" back into 4-42-5a because omitting it doesn't make any difference unless they revise 6-4-5 and 6.4.5 to give us something totally different than what we're accustomed to.

And since clean ups is the topic of the day, why not correct all of the old references to 20 seconds in the rules book and casebook that last year changed to 15 seconds.

And why not mention this: please don't give us any POE's without an associated rule change.

Or should I just turn to face the strain and be satisfied with less than correct?
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:27am
This IS My Social Life

Making One Indyite Very Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
This is the best day of my life!
/\ /\ /\ This is why it's so easy to go Christmas shopping for you.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
And why not mention this: please don't give us any POE's without an associated rule change.
POE's usually have rules behind them already that people are not calling correctly.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
POE's usually have rules behind them already that people are not calling correctly.
I do not think POEs have much to do with what is called. I think they are used to emphasize what the actual rule is and is misunderstood. Coaches and players often think that certain things are legal that are not. The rulebook is for everyone, not just the officials. And we already know that coaches often contest things that we call that are actual rules we have addressed.

Peace
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 10:57am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
For me, it's the fact that there's NO WAY with 2 handed reporting to catch only the beginning or the end of the report. You get it ALL with one signal.
And we have officials that cannot get on hand reporting right and now we are going to add something they do not likely understand.

Peace
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
And we have officials that cannot get on hand reporting right and now we are going to add something they do not likely understand.

Peace
What is so difficult about two-hand reporting that the overwhelming majority of high school officials wouldn't be able to "get"? It's not rocket science.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 12:44pm
This IS My Social Life

The officials who do not want high school mechanics to change to two handed reporting are not the high school officials, they are college officials who then would not have a convenient way to "big time" those they consider lesser than them.

Jus' jokin'.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 12:54pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
What is so difficult about two-hand reporting that the overwhelming majority of high school officials wouldn't be able to "get"? It's not rocket science.
I did not say it was difficult. I said that we have people that cannot report properly or concisely when they officiate a high school game. Now you add another element to something that many officials already struggle with when using one hand (remember everyone is not a well trained official at the NF level like college or pro). If they make this change there is no real sweat off my back. I am not going to protest or even complain. I just find it funny that guys that work other levels are so worried about this issue. I would rather worry about the NF getting wording right with their rules than changing something your state can decide on their own to do. Even if the NF makes a chance, a state can say, "Nope, we are not using that mechanic." So I do not get the thumb up the behind about this one mechanic and then trying to suggest that everything about the mechanics are so necessary to the game. Which is why I feel that you want to feel like you (not you personally) know more by advocating this than just using the mechanics of the levels you work. I also work college and I have no problems transitioning from one level to another. There are many more differences I have to deal with than how I report a foul. This is just such a non-issue but it comes up as if it is going to help us actually officiate the game, when it is about more how we look when watching ourselves.

Peace
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 12:54pm
AremRed

Quote:
I assume part of it is learning how to present the numbers backwards so the scorekeepers read it left-to-right. I go through the number tree a couple times a year in the mirror but I doubt your regular HS official will put in the practice time to learn. A lot of them don't take it as seriously as they should anyway.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Some of the NCAAW mechanics (which are also NBA mechanics) I love and wish we had in NFHS. All those mechanics are not anything that require a higher "skill" level than the average high school referee.

That being said, I agree that NBA mechanics don't belong in high school simply because NBA officials, the best in the world, use them. (I think they call that argument post hoc ergo propter hoc, but it's been awhile since I took philosophy.)
Agreed with your last point - but using a set of mechanics because an entity (NBA) puts the most time and money (in the form of research) of any other entity in order to put out the best product for the game is a great reason to use them.
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 02:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
Agreed with your last point - but using a set of mechanics because an entity (NBA) puts the most time and money (in the form of research) of any other entity in order to put out the best product for the game is a great reason to use them.
Is the NF going to put in a system to invest in the officiating staff that the NBA uses?

Peace
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 02:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
A peek behind the curtain reveals that . . .
Did the wizard you saw there pulling the levers happen to utter the words, "Go opposite table"?
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 04:23pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Did the wizard you saw there pulling the levers happen to utter the words, "Go opposite table"?
Nope..The wheels of progress turned slowly

BTW, the wizard who shared this knowledge is in the know and involved
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Is the NF going to put in a system to invest in the officiating staff that the NBA uses?

Peace
Meaning? We are talking about mechanics, not officiating skill/talent.

It takes no certain level of the latter to use a set of mechanics.