The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Held Ball Signal

Something to talk about on Sunday while we wait for Monday (or watch the women's final which, I must say, I suddenly anticipate now that the UConn inertia has been broken...but I digress).

I've noticed while watching D1 men's officials this year, and in particular during the tournament, that many officials while signaling a held ball will use the stop clock signal first, then close down on the action, and after exhaling first, finally use the held ball signal.

I've always been taught that this is the one instance where you go straight to the signal without "stopping the clock" first. Was there a philosophy change on this in the last couple of years while I wasn't paying attention? If so, what's the rationale?
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

You'll notice younger NBA and D League officials doing the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

cross, check the officials manual for NFHS...Somewhere in there it states to go straight up with the 2 thumbs for this call.

But I've noticed the same...And have been in discussions with RIs about it. Interesting for sure

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Two thumbs up

In high school the correct signal is to go up with the held ball signal immediately.
No need to stop the clock as the held ball signal is the stopped clock signal in this case.
Page 54 in Officials manual.

Last edited by kda89508; Sat Apr 01, 2017 at 10:35pm.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

The signal is thumbs up immediately. But hesitating is used to be sure everybody is on same page.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The signal is thumbs up immediately. But hesitating is used to be sure everybody is on same page.
That was kind of what I was thinking. But you have to admit, doing so defeats the "requirement" to signal immediately.

Anyone know if the CCA manuals directly address this?

FWIW, I actually kind of like the more methodical approach I'm seeing on TV. I've never quite understood what purpose it serves to go "two thumbs up immediately." In other words, how is a held ball call so different from other calls as to necessitate such immediacy?
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

We've either gone with am open hand or just a whistle with no signal for a few years now.

One official with a held ball and one with a foul -- we can avoid that by not hurrying with the thumbs.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Anyone know if the CCA manuals directly address this?
The rule book shows the thumbs up as "stop clock for jump ball." It also shows the open hand as "stop clock" (not "... for violation").

NCAAW CCA says "Give the signal for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for a stop-clock signal."
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 11:32am
Esteemed Forum Member

Held Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAAW CCA says "Give the signal for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for a stop-clock signal."
Same with IAABO high school mechanics.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Held Ball Signal

Most know what the book says. Personally I prefer the whistle and no signal till it's clear none of tne 3 are coming in with a foul or violation. A couple of tweets, we look, we signal a second or two later, and the official facing the arrow signals direction. After all, the whistle stops the clock....or should immediately.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 12:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

The problem with using the "stop clock" signal instead of the "held ball" signal is it looks like you are calling something else and then go with the held ball. I do not like it. And if you have a dueling signal, then you go with what happened first. We make the simple things so complicated some times.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

A bit off topic but...

I never really understood the stop clock signal (open hand in air). What is the purpose? And if the response if "to stop the clock" well then what is the purpose of the whistle? The whistle is enough.

Furthermore, what is purpose of fist in air for fouls? I think, yes extreme minority I know, that there is no need for any hand/arm in the air at all. Just whistle, followed by mechanic and any necessary verbal info.

Is that a super ridiculous idea?
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 01:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Chicken Or The Egg ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... And if you have a dueling signal, then you go with what happened first. We make the simple things so complicated some times.
Agree. At least once, or twice, each season I'm involved with different signals with one official showing the held ball signal. It's real easy to get together to discuss it. "I saw your held ball, but my foul came before the held ball". Or, "I saw your foul, but my held ball came before the foul".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 01:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

For Your Eyes Only ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Is that a super ridiculous idea?
Why give any signals at all? Sound the whistle and then hand the ball to an inbounder, or bounce it to a free throw shooter. Really? Who else needs to know other than the official? Keep 'em guessing.

Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 02, 2017 at 01:28pm.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Agree. At least once, or twice, each season I'm involved with different signals with one official showing the held ball signal. It's real easy to get together to discuss it. "I saw your held ball, but my foul came before the held ball". Or, "I saw your foul, but my held ball came before the foul".

And it's just as easy to do what's mentioned above and not have to have the conversation at all. Shrug.