The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Held Ball Signal (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102520-held-ball-signal.html)

crosscountry55 Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:22pm

Held Ball Signal

Something to talk about on Sunday while we wait for Monday (or watch the women's final which, I must say, I suddenly anticipate now that the UConn inertia has been broken...but I digress).

I've noticed while watching D1 men's officials this year, and in particular during the tournament, that many officials while signaling a held ball will use the stop clock signal first, then close down on the action, and after exhaling first, finally use the held ball signal.

I've always been taught that this is the one instance where you go straight to the signal without "stopping the clock" first. Was there a philosophy change on this in the last couple of years while I wasn't paying attention? If so, what's the rationale?

Raymond Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27pm

You'll notice younger NBA and D League officials doing the same thing

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

tnolan Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:27pm

cross, check the officials manual for NFHS...Somewhere in there it states to go straight up with the 2 thumbs for this call.

But I've noticed the same...And have been in discussions with RIs about it. Interesting for sure

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

kda89508 Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:32pm

Two thumbs up

In high school the correct signal is to go up with the held ball signal immediately.
No need to stop the clock as the held ball signal is the stopped clock signal in this case.
Page 54 in Officials manual.

BigCat Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:37pm

The signal is thumbs up immediately. But hesitating is used to be sure everybody is on same page.

crosscountry55 Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 1004150)
The signal is thumbs up immediately. But hesitating is used to be sure everybody is on same page.

That was kind of what I was thinking. But you have to admit, doing so defeats the "requirement" to signal immediately.

Anyone know if the CCA manuals directly address this?

FWIW, I actually kind of like the more methodical approach I'm seeing on TV. I've never quite understood what purpose it serves to go "two thumbs up immediately." In other words, how is a held ball call so different from other calls as to necessitate such immediacy?

Rich Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:10am

We've either gone with am open hand or just a whistle with no signal for a few years now.

One official with a held ball and one with a foul -- we can avoid that by not hurrying with the thumbs.

bob jenkins Sun Apr 02, 2017 09:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1004152)
Anyone know if the CCA manuals directly address this?

The rule book shows the thumbs up as "stop clock for jump ball." It also shows the open hand as "stop clock" (not "... for violation").

NCAAW CCA says "Give the signal for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for a stop-clock signal."

BillyMac Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:32am

Held Ball ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1004174)
NCAAW CCA says "Give the signal for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for a stop-clock signal."

Same with IAABO high school mechanics.

Rich Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20pm

Held Ball Signal

Most know what the book says. Personally I prefer the whistle and no signal till it's clear none of tne 3 are coming in with a foul or violation. A couple of tweets, we look, we signal a second or two later, and the official facing the arrow signals direction. After all, the whistle stops the clock....or should immediately.

JRutledge Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:57pm

The problem with using the "stop clock" signal instead of the "held ball" signal is it looks like you are calling something else and then go with the held ball. I do not like it. And if you have a dueling signal, then you go with what happened first. We make the simple things so complicated some times.

Peace

bucky Sun Apr 02, 2017 01:01pm

A bit off topic but...

I never really understood the stop clock signal (open hand in air). What is the purpose? And if the response if "to stop the clock" well then what is the purpose of the whistle? The whistle is enough.

Furthermore, what is purpose of fist in air for fouls? I think, yes extreme minority I know, that there is no need for any hand/arm in the air at all. Just whistle, followed by mechanic and any necessary verbal info.

Is that a super ridiculous idea?

BillyMac Sun Apr 02, 2017 01:08pm

The Chicken Or The Egg ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1004189)
... And if you have a dueling signal, then you go with what happened first. We make the simple things so complicated some times.

Agree. At least once, or twice, each season I'm involved with different signals with one official showing the held ball signal. It's real easy to get together to discuss it. "I saw your held ball, but my foul came before the held ball". Or, "I saw your foul, but my held ball came before the foul".

BillyMac Sun Apr 02, 2017 01:12pm

For Your Eyes Only ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1004191)
Is that a super ridiculous idea?

Why give any signals at all? Sound the whistle and then hand the ball to an inbounder, or bounce it to a free throw shooter. Really? Who else needs to know other than the official? Keep 'em guessing.

Maverick: It's classified. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

Rich Sun Apr 02, 2017 01:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1004193)
Agree. At least once, or twice, each season I'm involved with different signals with one official showing the held ball signal. It's real easy to get together to discuss it. "I saw your held ball, but my foul came before the held ball". Or, "I saw your foul, but my held ball came before the foul".

And it's just as easy to do what's mentioned above and not have to have the conversation at all. Shrug.