The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Held Ball Signal Mechanic

I had a partner tonight tell me that on a held ball, I should just go up with two thumbs rather than use the stop clock signal, then go two thumbs up.

What is the correct mechanic?
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Exactly as he told you.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2015, 11:29pm
Official Forum Member

The pictures in the back of the rule book should give you the answer.

Note that picture 3 says "stop clock for held ball" -- so you don't need the separate "stop clock" signal.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

He was correct.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 01:50am
AremRed

DISCLAIMER: UNPOPULAR/CONTROVERSIAL OPINION INBOUND. THIS OPINION MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED BY RULE, BUT FEEL FREE NOT TO POINT THAT OUT.

I like throwing up the stop-clock mechanic before the held ball signal. It's not necessary but it gives officials a second to make sure that another official doesn't have a foul or a timeout. It's like a blarge -- I'd rather avoid any situation where two officials would be giving different signals and then having to sort out which action came first.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

OFFICIALS MANUAL 2.4.3 Held Ball
B. Give the signal for a held ball immediately. There is no need to raise a hand for the stop-clock signal.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 02:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
DISCLAIMER: UNPOPULAR/CONTROVERSIAL OPINION INBOUND. THIS OPINION MAY OR MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED BY RULE, BUT FEEL FREE NOT TO POINT THAT OUT.

I like throwing up the stop-clock mechanic before the held ball signal. It's not necessary but it gives officials a second to make sure that another official doesn't have a foul or a timeout. It's like a blarge -- I'd rather avoid any situation where two officials would be giving different signals and then having to sort out which action came first.
We usually hit the whistle a few times before coming in with a mechanic. No stop clock, but no immediate thumbs, either.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

That is exactly the reason to give the proper signal first....so you can tell something about what each other has just by looking at each other. Maybe theirs really was after.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 07:48am
Do not give a damn!!

It is one of the three ways to stop the clock. You do not need another signal to stop the clock for a held ball.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So do you also throw up the "open hand" when you have a foul, just in case your partner has a TO or a traveling violation (or other) at about the same time?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 11:10am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So do you also throw up the "open hand" when you have a foul, just in case your partner has a TO or a traveling violation (or other) at about the same time?
Did you read the disclaimer?
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Did you read the disclaimer?
Yes, I did. Thanks for checking.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 11:29am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

You give the proper signal so it is clear what you have for your partner at the very least.

Peace
Old Sat Feb 28, 2015, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

And what if you throw up the stop clock open palm and your partner has a fist?

If you come in with 2 thumbs up and your partner has a foul and fist, you figure out what came first. It is no different than any other double whistle and is nothing like a blarge.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2015, 06:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
We usually hit the whistle a few times before coming in with a mechanic. No stop clock, but no immediate thumbs, either.
Exactly what I do.