The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 05:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
He still sees it as the C's whistle though. That's a problem. The message on the new way to handle secondary defenders during drives to the basket isn't getting communicated. This is a training issue. I wonder what state he is in.
I appreciate the insight and feedback Nevada.
I am the L, just stumbled across the video on youtube, game from last year. I was in no position to make the call, hence terrible miss. I definitely was expecting a whistle from C. Its in IL same as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Since the offense "beat" the primary defender so far outside and so far before the contact, C could have had a look / call on this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not know why the C did not have a call on this. And I do not think this is the L's call all the way. Yes they can have a call here, but this to me is the C's call. And other than philosophy of who has this call, the C should have a play that originated in his or her area. Peace
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Did something happen to video? All I see is a white box. Videos in other threads work for me.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Oh, Mark. Sigh.

I get it, higher levels invented this definition and it hasn't made it into NFHS Rule 4 yet, nor will it so long as we don't have a restricted area in high school. But there is absolutely nothing....NOTHING....wrong with using the phrase as a descriptor of modern defensive strategy vis-à-vis the evolution of officiating mechanics.

Purism is the enemy of innovation.
Thank you. I am so tired of this nonsense about secondary Defenders and if Naismith didn't write it then it doesn't exist. Geez.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:06am
Courageous When Prudent

The Lead definitely should have pinched the paint. Have no problem with him making the call as the secondary Defender was in the paint.

The center official appears to be somebody who has more experience working 2 man than 3 man based on his positioning and failure to move.

Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Thank you. I am so tired of this nonsense about secondary Defenders and if Naismith didn't write it then it doesn't exist. Geez.

I've been ringing the bell on how to cover this play for years now.....and I always said how does a C officiate a dribble drive and know if a secondary defender out of the L's primary established LGP?

Then people point at the floor and say that the contact happened outside the lane. So what? The L is the official who watched that defender either establish or not establish LGP.

I'd expect, as a lead, to be able to ship this with a single whistle and not have to wait to make sure a C didn't make a call. If the C blows on it, it should be after the L has nothing.

I jokingly say "lead is king" in these situations, but I do think there's too much of an effort to give calls where the lead is best positioned to make a call to outside officials.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:11am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
The Lead definitely should have pinched the paint. Have no problem with him making the call as the secondary Defender was in the paint.

The center official appears to be somebody who has more experience working 2 man than 3 man based on his positioning and failure to move.

Thank you.

I said this about pinching the paint in post 4 and wondered if anyone else would come in and say the same thing.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Did something happen to video? All I see is a white box. Videos in other threads work for me.
Same with me. Must be my internet browser or something.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich View Post
i've been ringing the bell on how to cover this play for years now.....and i always said how does a c officiate a dribble drive and know if a secondary defender out of the l's primary established lgp?

Then people point at the floor and say that the contact happened outside the lane. So what? The l is the official who watched that defender either establish or not establish lgp.

I'd expect, as a lead, to be able to ship this with a single whistle and not have to wait to make sure a c didn't make a call. If the c blows on it, it should be after the l has nothing.

I jokingly say "lead is king" in these situations, but i do think there's too much of an effort to give calls where the lead is best positioned to make a call to outside officials.
yes!
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 12:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
yes!
Sorry, I'm on a roll.

Some officials say, "well, what's the harm of a double whistle?"

Nothing if you don't think 2 officials having to look at each other, decide who's taking the call, THEN giving a preliminary signal doesn't make the crew look indecisive or confused.

If I have the only whistle, I can quickly confirm that and come right out with what I have. I've worked really hard to not lay on a second whistle on plays I'm supposed to give up to another official.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Thank you.

I said this about pinching the paint in post 4 and wondered if anyone else would come in and say the same thing.
You mean like someone wrote in post #2?
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, all three officials are in horrible position before the ball is passed and they all stand without moving a bit. Meanwhile, the ball and players are certainly moving. T has to get to 28ft, C has to be a FT line extended, and L must be in a closing position. This is important for all levels let alone the level being played in the video where you are not going to get much action outside the 3pt line. Need to be closer for credibility, especially on the play in the video. From their respective positions, I think C should have made the PC call. Yes, L gets dibs so-to-speak, however he is too far away. Furthermore, girl was beat immediately (jenkins mentioned), so much that the secondary defender should have been the person that C was watching. The primary defender was not involved. The big issue is the "concrete" Freddy mentioned. That "sets" it for a poorly officiated play with no credibility.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 02:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You mean like someone wrote in post #2?
You wrote close-down position.

I wrote pinch the paint, which is another few steps into the lane, to the O in CARBONDALE on the court.

But, yeah, wide-angle shows a lack of 3-person experience, IMO. Mirroring the ball would've had the L in the closedown position this entire video clip.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicBanana View Post
I appreciate the insight and feedback Nevada.
I am the L, just stumbled across the video on youtube, game from last year. I was in no position to make the call, hence terrible miss. I definitely was expecting a whistle from C. Its in IL same as:
First, it takes guts and courage to post video of yourself. You obviously desire to improve. If you are willing to take the information provided by several of the posters here, even though it could be harsh, you will get better.

There is naturally some sifting of information which must be done on a public forum such as this and you will get conflicting advice. You will need to select what is best for you and the area in which you work.

I happen to agree with Rich, BNR, and Multiple Sports (who posted in your other thread on this). We believe quite strongly in the new method of having the Lead make the decisions on secondary defenders (help-defenders). I've seen numerous video clips to prove why it is better. On the other hand, Rut and Bob Jenkins have proven themselves to be quality officials over the years too and present a different take.

I will tell you that I am the instructor for over 300 HS officials in CA and get most of my 3-person information from NCAA officials Tony Padilla and Mike Reed. You will see both of them in the NCAA tournament this coming week.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 03:15pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with others on the general guideline of giving the L first crack at plays involving secondary defenders in the paint.

Also agree on the glaring need for movement from both the L and the C, and the T as well for that matter.

I think far too often we focus on a missed call without really examining why its missed. IMO this was a miss caused by the L not using the close down position and pinching the paint and the C not moving at all to maintain a look at the play.

L's call but the C could have had a whistle too. And at the very least, should have been in better position to see the play.