Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Serious question: So?
Serious answer, I guess. The original post made me think about the big issue, in my opinion, which is coaches who must be on their feet. Hence, my comment. I think these forums can be great. I know there are a lot of topics that generate a lot of thought that I don't comment on. I shared a thought that came to mind after reading the original post. I am sure my comment will invoke someone else thought process. I am sorry it went over your head and all you can come up with is "so?".

I gave you a serious answer. Now I have some serious questions for you. What is your problem? Do you have any real friends? What is your education level?
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I am a commissioner. I completely agree with the "breaking into jail" comment.
Oh you are a commissioner? You must be a big deal. Still not impressed.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 03:09pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Serious answer, I guess. The original post made me think about the big issue, in my opinion, which is coaches who must be on their feet. Hence, my comment. I think these forums can be great. I know there are a lot of topics that generate a lot of thought that I don't comment on. I shared a thought that came to mind after reading the original post. I am sure my comment will invoke someone else thought process. I am sorry it went over your head and all you can come up with is "so?".

I gave you a serious answer. Now I have some serious questions for you. What is your problem? Do you have any real friends? What is your education level?

I want to know why coaches standing and not coaching is such a problem. Last thing I want to do is have to police coaches who are standing and not coaching. Or have a seatbelt rule, which I lived through for about 12 of my first 30 years. I've said here before that I'd give coaches the full 28 feet as they get in the NCAA.

All of my friends are officials. 2 Masters degrees.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I want to know why coaches standing and not coaching is such a problem. Last thing I want to do is have to police coaches who are standing and not coaching. Or have a seatbelt rule, which I lived through for about 12 of my first 30 years. I've said here before that I'd give coaches the full 28 feet as they get in the NCAA.

All of my friends are officials. 2 Masters degrees.
Your two Masters Degrees sure made you advanced. I was supposed to get all that from "so"? Just ask the question for some civil dialog instead of projecting yourself.

Anyway, if coaches are not actually coaching then there is no reason for them to be on their feet. If they are constantly up and not coaching then they are more than likely complaining or officiating the game from the bench. Obviously there are issues or this thread would not have came about. I do a pretty good job of handling the situation when I have to. Probably not as good as you with your 30 years of experience but I can hold my own. The worst interaction I had with a coach was because of him standing on the floor. I was a coach before I became an official and the worst interaction I had with an official was because of issues with the coach's box. A seatbelt rule would make our lives easier but I am not advocating for that. I never said anything about policing either. A person can not like something and make it work.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 04:15pm
High Five Master

Quote:
I never really gave this any thought until reading this thread, but I now realize that I don't like the coach's box. There are coaches who feel the need to be on their feet the entire game and I don't think they are actually coaching. Don't get me wrong, I have seen very good coaches who are on their feet actually doing good things with their players. For the most part, I think coaches are on their feet to give the appearance that they are doing something.

I have always thought this. Aside from calling out plays, what really is the point of a coach yelling the bs they do? If we were to stop and think, the more a coach yells, to me, would parenthetically mean the worse coach the are. If you have to tell your players to rebound, box out, hands up, move your feet, push it, outlet, swing it, one more pass, etc etc all the fricking time during a game, it just sounds poor to me. Means to me they didn't get taught enough in practice. I've always thought that, even all the way up to the best coaches.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 04:20pm
High Five Master

And I posted that above before I read the rest. I'm not trying to get into yalls pissing contest. I don't care about a seatbelt rule, except as it's now written is fine with me. I was just making an observation as simply that, not advocating for making a rule change or something else for us to police. I was just saying I have always thought it was humorous how some (most) coaches feel a need (entitled) to stand and talk the whole game, regardless of what they are saying.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 04:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Well at the end of the day, what matters are what the people you work for think. That is really all that matters. If you live in an area that does not care, then you can have whatever position you like on this. But there are places that make this an issue, after all it is a rule. And if it wasn't a rule, we might have coaches in front of the opponents bench or at the 3 point line because they can. Heck we could just have coaches sit and not worry about where they stand. Makes no difference to me honestly.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Well at the end of the day, what matters are what the people you work for think. That is really all that matters. If you live in an area that does not care, then you can have whatever position you like on this. But there are places that make this an issue, after all it is a rule. And if it wasn't a rule, we might have coaches in front of the opponents bench or at the 3 point line because they can. Heck we could just have coaches sit and not worry about where they stand. Makes no difference to me honestly.

Peace
I remember several years ago Tubby Smith was on the endline during play where he would of been in the L's pocket if the L was on that side and working out wide.

Back several years ago when I was doing a lot of youth rec league, I had a female coach that would of been in the opposing coaches box had there been lines. Took me a while to figure out what was wrong with it as its not something I would ever expect to see.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never really gave this any thought until reading this thread, but I now realize that I don't like the coach's box. There are coaches who feel the need to be on their feet the entire game and I don't think they are actually coaching. Don't get me wrong, I have seen very good coaches who are on their feet actually doing good things with their players. For the most part, I think coaches are on their feet to give the appearance that they are doing something.
This is ridiculous. For the most part??? You're wrong. They are actually coaching, changing the defense, calling the offensive sets, changing matchups, signaling, calling timeout, etc... and they do this while standing so that they can be more easily seen and/or heard. Pay attention to your job more.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
This is ridiculous. For the most part??? You're wrong. They are actually coaching, changing the defense, calling the offensive sets, changing matchups, signaling, calling timeout, etc... and they do this while standing so that they can be more easily seen and/or heard. Pay attention to your job more.
Not that I am complaining and since you brought it up, it would be easier to pay more attention and do a better job if coaches would coach and quit trying to tell me how to do my job (while pacing in the coach's box). Plenty of good coaches out there and appreciate them.
Old Sun Feb 05, 2017, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not that I am complaining and since you brought it up, it would be easier to pay more attention and do a better job if coaches would coach and quit trying to tell me how to do my job (while pacing in the coach's box). Plenty of good coaches out there and appreciate them.
All coaches complain. But, contrary to your statement, for the most part, they are up to coach their team and make sure communication is received.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Ok so I realize the horse is probably already dead by now……but OMG. Overreaction of the year nominee! And it's only February.

Hey, CJP, apart from the fact that Rich is a distinguished moderator of this forum with the authority to ban you, he also happens to be a very good official and an upstanding gentleman.

Stop goofing off. If you'd like to unprofessionally whine without consequence, find another forum, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 01:03am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
All coaches complain. But, contrary to your statement, for the most part, they are up to coach their team and make sure communication is received.
I know many coaches that do not complain about hardly anything. They have a job to do and try to worry about coaching their players than telling us what to do. One of the winningest coaches in our state said, "Every time I talk to officials about a play, that is an opportunity I am not coaching my kids."

If they cannot do this in the box, then they really do not know how to coach if you ask me.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Ok so I realize the horse is probably already dead by now……but OMG. Overreaction of the year nominee! And it's only February.

Hey, CJP, apart from the fact that Rich is a distinguished moderator of this forum with the authority to ban you, he also happens to be a very good official and an upstanding gentleman.

Stop goofing off. If you'd like to unprofessionally whine without consequence, find another forum, please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right, I did not handle that well. Rich mentioned that this place can get a little "toxic" at times. I was suprised that a moderator would have such a rude response. You say he is distinguished, maybe so. I have not been around long enough to see that. But in my short time I see him more as a bully. I was aware he is a moderator and expect more out of authority figures in these settings. Moderators should nurture conversation not open the door for "toxic" dialog. Regardless, I could have handled it differently. He can ban me if he wants. I won't contribute much any how.
Old Mon Feb 06, 2017, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it *might* help if you thought of it as a "coaching box" and not as a "coach's box." A difference that describes the activity and not the person.

And, FWIW, I understood exactly what Rich was asking.
Closed Thread