The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 07:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question

I had this very weird situation happen this past weekend.

I was doing a 1 man game (standing where I most likely would have not if I had a partner) and I was putting the ball in and I was standing completely inbounds and in the backcourt. A1 throws the ball in and hits me, hits the floor, then rolls into the frontcourt. A1 goes and recovers the ball himself in the FC. What do you have if anything?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

I'll assume that your worries stem from the fact that you were inbounding from the FC, you were in the BC, and the ball was recovered in the FC.

This being the case, you have no problem. On a throw-in, there is no team possesion, nor is there FC / BC status. That's why a player in the FC can heave a ball from the end line clear into the BC and not have a BC violation.

However, should the ball have been live and the player was in the FC, you in the BC, and he recovers a ball in the FC that hit you in the BC--BC violation!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 08:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

This is an inbound violation. It has nothing to do with whether you were in the front or backcourt. Hitting you is exactly the same as hitting the floor at that point. A1 cannot come inbounds and recover the ball until it has touched another player, not just the floor. See NF 4-4-4.

Think of it this way. Substitute "the floor" for you. It then becomes an easy call.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
This is an inbound violation. It has nothing to do with whether you were in the front or backcourt. Hitting you is exactly the same as hitting the floor at that point. A1 cannot come inbounds and recover the ball until it has touched another player, not just the floor. See NF 4-4-4.

Think of it this way. Substitute "the floor" for you. It then becomes an easy call.
Mark is correct. In this situation, the ball has to touch another player before A1 can touch it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith