The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

In a men's playoff game Team B is down 64-63. Team A has the ball OOB after a score. Player A1 throws the ball and it hits the mesh and then somehow the ball rolls up and hits the rim and bounces to B1 at the 3 point line. He shoots and scores. Now, while the ball was in the air the referee blew his whistle. He explains to both teams that he taught the ball went through the rim so therefore he blows it down. Inadvertent whistle he says and gives the ball back to Team A. Was he correct ?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Since you are in Canada, you are probably playing FEEBLE rules. Under those rules, the ball becomes dead only if it hit more than 50% of the rim measured metrically. Therefore, the three point attempt was worth 3.658 points. However, prior to taking the shot, the game should have been stopped so UN inspectors could check the ball and make sure it didn't contain any foreign objects, such as falafel.

Of course, these rules are not valid in France, where basketball is not allowed because, being an American game, it is considered a threat to French culture. Besides, all the French basketball players already surrendered to Jerry Lewis.

Hope this helps.

BTW - has anyone seen my meds?
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
[i]

BTW - has anyone seen my meds? [/B]
Dave has them.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

If the whistle was after the try for goal was in the air, the ball remains live till the try end--therefore the goal counts. If the whistle was before the try, then the ball becomes dead with the whistle and AP throw-in.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by PP
In a men's playoff game Team B is down 64-63. Team A has the ball OOB after a score. Player A1 throws the ball and it hits the mesh and then somehow the ball rolls up and hits the rim and bounces to B1 at the 3 point line. He shoots and scores. Now, while the ball was in the air the referee blew his whistle. He explains to both teams that he taught the ball went through the rim so therefore he blows it down. Inadvertent whistle he says and gives the ball back to Team A. Was he correct ?
No, the official was incorrect per NCAA. The try had not ended since it was in the air. Three points to B.
Had the shot missed, since there was no team control, then go to the arrow.

(This entire situation sounds like it was a 1/2-court game.)
Old Mon Mar 03, 2003, 02:37pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
If the whistle was before the try, then the ball becomes dead with the whistle and AP throw-in.
If B has the ball before the try, then they can keep it.