The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:08pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm the center tableside and the coach is in my ear kvetching about a no call on the other side of the floor. Two officials over there on a play where my correct call percentage wouldn't be much better than if I flipped a coin.

"I have two partners over there who have a much better look at that play than we do. I'm not here to guess."
I tell coaches "I'm way over here just like you, I don't know what happened over there"
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm the center tableside and the coach is in my ear kvetching about a no call on the other side of the floor. Two officials over there on a play where my correct call percentage wouldn't be much better than if I flipped a coin.

"I have two partners over there who have a much better look at that play than we do. I'm not here to guess."
I tell coaches "I'm way over here just like you, I don't know what happened over there" or "I don't know how you saw that from here".
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Oh I made a statement after a rhetorical question. I know the answer to "Why do coaches get free passes for their behavior?" It's because to many officials are either scared of T's because they are bad, or don't do a good job in dealing with conflict.
Also because sports society tends to think juvenile behavior is ok if the game might be on the line.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 03:31pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I tell coaches "I'm way over here just like you, I don't know what happened over there" or "I don't know how you saw that from here".
The good coaches get it when you say that. The bad ones think you should run over there and "save the day."
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Also because sports society tends to think juvenile behavior is ok if the game might be on the line.
Last night in a JV game the visiting team fell down by double digits in the third. The coach growled at me "every single whistle you've had has been for them (the home team). Every single whistle. Thanks a lot. Thanks a lot."

I just ignored it, but when his team came back and won by a point, I wanted to ask him where my congratulations were.

From now on, coaches don't get my respect till they earn it. I've dealt with too much crap this season.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I have learned that a complaining coach usually gets a warning first, but personal attacks on your integrity can merit an immediate T.

Freshman Girls, 4:00, few fans. First minute, B1 holding the ball over her head in the FC, directly in front of Coach A. A1 reaches for the ball, and gradually contacts the arms of B1, and eventually displaces her. This took a few seconds. The problem was, just before I whistle for the foul, Coach B says "That's a foul!".
Coach A immediately says to me, softly, "You weren't going to call that until he said something. I need you to call your own game".

Caught me off-guard, I just replied "That had nothing to do with it".

T?
The coach's comment is very disrespectful and I would not criticize any official for assessing a "T" under this circumstance. Hopefully the AD addresses the coaches behavior.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We're supposed to be the unemotional arbiters of the game. Just the way it is.
I agree. I try to not respond to comments from coaches. Getting into a dialog with coaches can result in an emotional response. If I must respond to a comment then more than likely a "T" is coming or is very close. We are not perfect and sometimes do get sucked into an exchange with a coach. Best practice, in my opinion, is to assess the "T" and move on, do not engage.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

No, He said it softly. You didnt call the contact. Somebody needed to remind you of Your Responsibility.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 06:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinsmerli View Post
No, He said it softly. You didnt call the contact. Somebody needed to remind you of Your Responsibility.
Were these the coach's words to you? I'm probably calling a T with those words.
Old Wed Jan 25, 2017, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymechowder View Post
Somewhat along those lines, what advice do you have for responding to a coach who repeatedly comments to you about your partner's calls?

I'll be in front of the coach during play and he'll say stuff like "I know that's not your call but you gotta help your partner out." OR "Cmon, PLEASE talk to your partner!"

I usually just ignore it, because it's not like he's asking me a legitimate question.

Not sure if it's a divide & conquer strategy? Like the coach will suck up to one official while putting down the other? (NOTE: I"m SURE there have been times when it was reversed and I was the lead and a coach was complaining to my partner about me)

Should it just be flat-out ignored?
If he's saying it to you, I'd bet he's saying it to your partners too. At some point if it bothers you or your P's, you'll need to address it, It needs to be clear and the next time it happens you need to TCB. It's what some coaches do. They think it works in their favor somehow?? It's happened and I'll nip it right away with something along the lines of "We're not playing that game tonight" which will inevitably bring the reply, "What, I was just asking..." which will get a dirty look and stop sign from me. Now I have had the rare occasion when I felt the coach was right. Those are tougher IMO.