The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 03:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
You're right about the typo. I corrected it, my apologies. As for the fundamental part of the rule, the case play cited is what it is, and apparently is an exception to that fundamental. You don't call this a travel?
(Assuming you're talking about case wherein a player throws the ball over an opponents head and catches it without letting it hit the floor).

I do, only because the NFHS has made it clear that they view that as an unintended advantage. Rather than rewrite the rule to cover it, they cover it by spirit by way of a case play.

Likewise, the throwing off the backboard, is expressly allowed by case play. As I'm thinking about it and the reasons why, I'm considering changing my mind on whether the player would be allowed to dribble again. Essentially, throwing it off the backboard is, in most aspects, treated the same, in spirit, as throwing it off another player or a try.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The case play only states that, after ending a dribble, it's legal to throw the ball against one's own backboard, and it's also legal to catch it. It doesn't say that it's legal to start a new dribble. There is no exception listed for this maneuver in the Illegal Dribble rule.

If a coach politely says to me that this is an illegal dribble, I have no rulebook basis, nor do I have a specific casebook basis, to support my no call.
Cite me Billy. I'll take the heat for it. I think i would treat it as if it were like a throw off another player. If there was a foul by offense while it was all happening id probably stay with team control since i knew it wasnt a try. I think throwing it off board gives a fresh start for the player. Im only saying that because the case play itself is so far out away form the rules that if they want to allow that im going to allow the dribble after the catch.
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 04:00pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Essentially, throwing it off the backboard is, in most aspects, treated the same, in spirit, as throwing it off another player or a try.
Agreed, and with that in mind, he can move to catch the throw off the board, and he can start a new dribble afterward. Neither is specifically allowed. So if one is illegal, it seems that the other would be illegal.

I would allow both.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 04:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Dean Wormer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Cite me Billy.
Consider yourself cited. Double secret probation. It's the worst sanction that a Forum member can get. It doesn't get much worse that that. What's your penalty? I can't tell you. It's a secret. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 01, 2017, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Consider yourself cited. Double secret probation. It's the worst sanction that a Forum member can get. It doesn't get much worse that that. What's your penalty? I can't tell you. It's a secret. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
It's ok. Then I'd be down to 5 lives. Good to be a cat. Wish I wasn't such a big one however...
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
NFHS 4-5-1: "A team's own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball." Accordingly, the team's "own backboard" would be that to which said basket is attached.
This is a valid question, because, as it has been noted here before, I think FIBA's terminology is reversed from this. Anybody who speaks FIBA available to verify that?
FIBA you defend your basket and attempt to score in your opponents basket.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 03, 2017, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Agreed, and with that in mind, he can move to catch the throw off the board, and he can start a new dribble afterward. Neither is specifically allowed. So if one is illegal, it seems that the other would be illegal.

I would allow both.
Here is a play I had several years ago. Player A steals the ball and is going in for a dunk. He throws the ball off the backboard and attempts a tomahawk slam. But he is too far from the basket and lands with the ball. in hand. He goes back up and two hand slams the ball. I called a travel simply because I never saw that play before. But researching that play later, I believe that it was legal and I should have allowed the goal.