The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Reference for Throwing Ball off Own Backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102019-reference-throwing-ball-off-own-backboard.html)

Adam Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:19am

Reference for Throwing Ball off Own Backboard

Can anyone reference a case play or interpretation or other ruling, directly from the NFHS, that spells out the legality of a player throwing the ball off his own backboard?

Nevadaref Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995804)
Can anyone reference a case play or interpretation or other ruling, directly from the NFHS, that spells out the legality of a player throwing the ball off his own backboard?

Current NFHS Case Book 9.5 Situation.

BigCat Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 995804)

9.5. Backboard is players "own equipment."

Adam Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:57am

Thanks, guys.

BillyMac Thu Dec 29, 2016 07:14am

Equipment ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCat (Post 995806)
Backboard is players "own equipment."

Just like throwing it off one's own headband?

DrPete Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:09am

The term "own backboard" refers to the backboard and basket that you are defending, correct???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Freddy Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 995816)
The term "own backboard" refers to the backboard and basket that you are defending, correct???

NFHS 4-5-1: "A team's own basket is the one into which its players try to throw or tap the ball." Accordingly, the team's "own backboard" would be that to which said basket is attached.
This is a valid question, because, as it has been noted here before, I think FIBA's terminology is reversed from this. Anybody who speaks FIBA available to verify that?

bob jenkins Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 995816)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on whether you are using FED/NCAA rules or FIBA rules.

Under Adam's question, it's the basket into which you (usually) attempt to throw the ball.

DrPete Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:48am

I got "own" and "opponent's" backboard backwards (at least in NFHS rules). Casebook play 4.15.4 C clears it up:

4.15.4 SITUATION C:

After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an *official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again.

RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an *official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

Freddy Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrPete (Post 995822)
4.15.4 SITUATION C:
After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball:. . . (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again.
RULING: . . . In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

Is (c) legal because this is a try or because the player throws the ball against his own backboard?
:D

bob jenkins Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 995831)
Is (c) legal because this is a try or because the player throws the ball against his own backboard?
:D

How did Billy get Freddy's password?

Anyway, my answer to the above question is "yes."

BryanV21 Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:57pm

Can somebody give a situation where throwing the ball off your own backboard (per NFHS rules) is not a try for goal?

I'm actually asking... not trying to quiz anybody.

bob jenkins Thu Dec 29, 2016 01:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 995834)
Can somebody give a situation where throwing the ball off your own backboard (per NFHS rules) is not a try for goal?

Throw-in. ;)

BryanV21 Thu Dec 29, 2016 01:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 995838)
Throw-in. ;)

damn :(

billyu2 Thu Dec 29, 2016 01:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 995834)

An errant pass.