The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 10:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripes View Post
Looking for opportunities to call Ts will open a can of worms you don't want open.

If you think my advice is crap, don't use it. I am speaking from 20+ years (and 1000s of games) of experience. I have watched many officials try to be the person who was going to be an enforcer. None of them has been very successful as an official, while those who learn to manage games have been very successful.

There are lots of ways to manage this situation. Calling a T is one of them...but probably not the best one. Learn to manage people and situations effectively if you want to be successful as an official.
Being scared to call an obvious disconcertion violation is not a recipe for success either.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looking for opportunities to call Ts will open a can of worms you don't want open.

If you think my advice is crap, don't use it. I am speaking from 20+ years (and 1000s of games) of experience. I have watched many officials try to be the person who was going to be an enforcer. None of them has been very successful as an official, while those who learn to manage games have been very successful.

There are lots of ways to manage this situation. Calling a T is one of them...but probably not the best one. Learn to manage people and situations effectively if you want to be successful as an official.
A replacement FT is all you need. It was an obvious disconcertion. Complete BS basketball. There doesn't need to be a T on the players for standing but as I said earlier, if that coach bit..s, tell him that's his other choice. Let him choose. Now, if you don't give a replacement FT you will likely have to give a T at some point, to the other coach. Not dealing with idiots will screw up your game.

Dealing with people is one thing, but this play happened unexpectedly. Telling them not to do it again isn't doing your job. It cost the other team a FT. Give it back to them and then tell the others not to do it again. Work with people when you can but penalize when necessary.

Last edited by BigCat; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 11:15am.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 11:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Call disconcertion, let the coach know you had a choice between that and a technical foul. Go ahead and tell him it would impact his use of the coaching box.

If they do it again, call the T. If you call the T, also call disconcertion so you get a replacement FT if necessary.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 01:27pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Being scared to call an obvious disconcertion violation is not a recipe for success either.
I'm really scared to call things...

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm really scared to call things...
I certainly wouldn't say you aren't or wouldn't call this obvious violation because your scared. I have no idea and its not my business….BUT the other potential reasons for not calling it aren't very good either.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 04:57pm
9 times

I don't have any idea about those who post here (for the most part), but the officials around my area who go looking for things like this to call are the same ones who wonder why they never get selected to go to the state tournament.

Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't have any idea about those who post here (for the most part), but the officials around my area who go looking for things like this to call are the same ones who wonder why they never get selected to go to the state tournament.
The OP isnt something that you go looking for. It finds you. It fits the obvious rule quite nicely.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 05:41pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
The same can be said for those who shy away from calling the obvious stuff because they don't want to be noticed (or some other crap). Sure, don't go looking for stuff, but when stuff finds you it needs to be handled.

Most here who have said the T is an option have also said they (we) would go with disconcertion first. Call the disconcertion and it will shut down quickly; advise the coach that it could have just as easily have been a T.

Of course, then he'll instruct his bench to do it while seated.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=BigT;994859]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post

Thanks BigCat it was quite then out of no where they are shouting/screaming at her... it shocked me.
Mr. Stripes,

As you can see the poster said it was quiet...and it shocked him. Obviously an intentional act at critical moment of FT. That's not competing. Again I ask Why would you not penalize it?

If I was coaching I'd first be pissed off at the other coach and then, if you didn't give my kid another FT, you. You would Have had a mess on your hands and would have to give me a T.

Finally, if my kids did something like this on their own to another player, I'd be telling you to give the player another FT....and then I'd berate my players and be the subject of a thread here....😃

Obviously, you do what is expected in your area. This isn't looking for trouble. This is classic disconcertion.
Old Thu Dec 15, 2016, 07:35pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
You need to expand your circle....and quit being so impressed with yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Dec 15, 2016 at 07:41pm.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 10:38am
Stubborn Member

Quote:

I don't think your advice is crap. I seriously want to know what type of trouble you're referring to, because I can't imagine something happening that I can't handle.

By calling the T you're not doing anything the rules don't back you up on. Angry coaches... angry players... angry fans... what's new? I think we can deal with those things. The only things we couldn't deal with are assignors who are angry with you kicking a call, or doing something not supported by the rules.

Just because something doesn't happen often, doesn't mean it's wrong to do.

BTW, I've given three Ts in the past three years. I avoid giving them whenever possible. And in this situation I'd probably do the same thing. However, others may not feel the same way. Which is fine. Because... like I and others have said... the rule book supports them.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
The OP isnt something that you go looking for. It finds you. It fits the obvious rule quite nicely.
Exactly. Its an obvious violation of not one, but two rules. So just do your job. Try to be preventive and get them to knock it off if you can but if they do it right before a missed FT then blow the whistle and award another shot and tell the coach his bench is going to cost him or her their coaching box if they do that again.

And I don't know how they do things in AZ but here in VA not calling obvious violations like this is a surefire way to NOT work the state tournament, to get better games, or whatever your aspirations may be to advance within this level.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 11:06am

I would not immediately issue the "T' but would definitely rule disconcertion and warn the bench by talking to the head coach. If that doesn't get the message across, the next time they do it, the "T" will.
Old Fri Dec 16, 2016, 05:32pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
You need to expand your circle....and quit being so impressed with yourself.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Old Sat Dec 17, 2016, 10:16am
Stubborn Member

BTW...

Not awarding a replacement FT, or not giving a tech foul, could end up causing a lot more "trouble" than not doing either of those things.

I imagine assignors would have a much bigger problem with you not calling something laid out in the rule book than calling something that may not have been the popular choice.