The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,602
Travel or not?

Question on which I would like the opinions of the folks here.

A2 and A3 jump for a defensive rebound. While both are airborne A2 catches the ball and A3 bumps into him. A2 is off balance and lands on his butt. A2's feet didn't touch the floor until after he landed on his backside.

Do you whistle a travel at this point or do you allow A2 to land on his butt because his feet never touched the court?

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Nov 15, 2016 at 12:29am.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:51pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 1,023
I believe at one point there was a case play on it that has since gone away. IIRC, it was legal.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,650
NFHS: You cannot touch the floor with any part of the body other than the hand or foot while holding the ball.

4.44.5 Situation A (2013-14 Case Book)

Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? RULING: Yes in both (a) and (b).

NCAA-M: Nothing in the rules about touching the floor with something other than the hand or foot. Falling to the playing court without maintaining a pivot foot is a violation. If the player falls to the court without the foot ever touching, I don't believe that would be a violation.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:33am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
NFHS: You cannot touch the floor with any part of the body other than the hand or foot while holding the ball.

4.44.5 Situation A (2013-14 Case Book)

Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? RULING: Yes in both (a) and (b).

NCAA-M: Nothing in the rules about touching the floor with something other than the hand or foot. Falling to the playing court without maintaining a pivot foot is a violation. If the player falls to the court without the foot ever touching, I don't believe that would be a violation.
Same for NCAAW -- but there is that confusing case to the effect that "it's traveling because it's virtually impossible to fall to the floor without moving the pivot foot."

What if the player gets the ball and then rises, without moving the pivot foot?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 11:55am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Indiana
Posts: 155
Sounds like that one is gonna hurt!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 04:15pm
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
Posts: 7,719
It is traveling under all three rules sets: NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's. This has been traveling going back prior to the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees. Nothing in the definition of Traveling has changed going back over well over 55 years.

It is, however, legal under FIBA Rules if my memory serves me correctly.

MTD, Sr.
__________________
Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
Trumbull Co. (Warren, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Wood Co. (Bowling Green, Ohio) Bkb. Off. Assn.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Toledo, Ohio
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 06:44pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Germany
Posts: 19
Ok under FIBA


25.2.3. A player falling, lying or sitting on the floor:

It is legal when a player falls and slides on the floor while holding the ball or, while lying or sitting on the floor, gains control of the ball.
It is a violation if the player then rolls or attempts to stand up while holding the ball.
__________________
Phil
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It is traveling under all three rules sets: NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's. This has been traveling going back prior to the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees. Nothing in the definition of Traveling has changed going back over well over 55 years.

It is, however, legal under FIBA Rules if my memory serves me correctly.

MTD, Sr.
There is nothing in the current NCAA-Men's rule or case books that make the OP's play a travel.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There is nothing in the current NCAA-Men's rule or case books that make the OP's play a travel.
NCAA Mens Rule Book: Rule 9, Section 5, Art. 7. It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:17pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
NCAA Mens Rule Book: Rule 9, Section 5, Art. 7. It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.
There was no pivot foot to maintain in this play.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
There was no pivot foot to maintain in this play.
Exactly. The player didn't meet the requirements to avoid the travel. To avoid a travel when falling, the player must maintain a pivot foot. Not having one, the player clearly didn't maintain one. Therefore, the player traveled.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 03:05pm
Adam's Avatar
Keeper of the HAMMER
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: MST
Posts: 27,191
NFHS, this is a travel. I'd have to double check the wording tonight, but touching the floor with anything other than the feet or hands is a travel. The exception is when a player gains control of the ball while already on the floor. An airborne player who gets control prior to falling does not qualify for the exception, so it's a travel.
__________________
Sprinkles are for winners.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 03:15pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Exactly. The player didn't meet the requirements to avoid the travel. To avoid a travel when falling, the player must maintain a pivot foot. Not having one, the player clearly didn't maintain one. Therefore, the player traveled.
Maintain means you've already attained or gained something. You can't maintain something you never had.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 11,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Maintain means you've already attained or gained something. You can't maintain something you never had.
Exactly. And that means it is a travel since it required to maintain a pivot foot when falling to the floor in order for it to not be a travel. It is impossibe to mee the requirement if there is no pivot foot to be maintained.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 06:42pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 13,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Exactly. And that means it is a travel since it required to maintain a pivot foot when falling to the floor in order for it to not be a travel. It is impossibe to mee the requirement if there is no pivot foot to be maintained.
In order to maintain a pivot foot one must first establish one. Once they fall to the floor they can establish a pivot foot and have to maintain it if they want to get up.

The travel rule for college and high school are not the same. They are written differently and are interpreted differently.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video: Not a travel in NBA, but would you call this a travel in HS or NCAA jump stop Basketball 52 Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:19pm
travel or not KenL.nation Basketball 15 Wed Mar 24, 2010 07:16pm
Travel? MatthewPV Basketball 4 Fri Feb 19, 2010 02:49pm
Is this a travel? jeschmit Basketball 10 Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22am
No Travel, Just Kidding Travel Kas v Arz fletch_irwin_m Basketball 49 Tue Apr 08, 2003 06:23pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1