The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Give the coach an explaination

I had a situation last season that I have been thinking about as I prepare to the upcoming season.

I was C opposite table in the second half. A1 drove to the basket and traveled with a poorly executed spin move. As he squared up to the basket, there was some contact. My partner at lead and I both blow our whistles at the same time. He signals a foul, and I signal traveling. We get together and determine that the traveling happened before the contact, so I hit my whistle again, signal and point the other way. My question is this: should I have gone across the court to the coach to offer a brief explanation? Some thing like, "coach, I know you don't like it, but the traveling happened just before the foul." Or is that just asking for trouble?
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner should explain

Great scenario to share. I'd let your partner (new trail, tableside) lend the coach an ear on the way up the floor... And acknowledge a statement or question if the coach has one.

No need to delay the game and make a scene, IMO.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

No you do not need to go all the way across the explain a double whistle. Just say you have a travel first and move on. If a coach cannot understand that basic argument, then you will never get them to understand in a longer conversation. Just have a "KISS" attitude about these things.

Peace
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.
Old Mon Nov 14, 2016, 10:00pm
Get away from me, Steve.

And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 12:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Don't go out of your way to give a coach an explanation he hasn't requested. If he needs one, he'll ask for it. You'll be over by his bench soon enough, and he can ask then.
Some clinicians refer to this as "breaking into jail." It's a great metaphor and applies here.

Don't volunteer information when you don't have to.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by junruh07 View Post
He signals a foul, and I signal traveling.
To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:42am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
And the phrase "I know you won't like this" - lose it permanently.
I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 08:43am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I was going to offer the same advice. If you are going to explain something to a coach, keep it brief and factual.

My problem with the phrase is this:

No matter what you say,he's going to hate it.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Just verbally announce, "Travel was first" when signaling the decision. That way everyone knows and you can get on with the game.
I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.
Old Tue Nov 15, 2016, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
To add to the above -- neither of you should signal anything other than the closed fist / open hand.

(And, yes, I know it happens.)
I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.

Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 10:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I know that would have been ideal. The reason I didn't hold off on the signal is because I didn't think the contact was a foul, so I assumed (never assume) that my partner was calling a traveling as well.
Having the discipline to hold off on preliminaries on double whistles is one of those things that separates officials from the crowd.

Quote:
Thanks for the advice to cut that phrase out. I can see where that could create issues. My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
Keep responses short (10 words or less) and factual.
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:02pm
9 times

Quote:
My default with coaches is to put blinders on and ignore them. I am trying to work at communicating more in situations where it will be helpful.
I see this happen all too often from newer officials. Generally, this approach creates more problems than it solves. Coaches hate to be ignored and tend to get louder to be heard. You need to answer legitimate questions, but do not let the coach devolve the conversation or answer statements.

Keep it factual and about the call in question. If the coach tries to change the subject, end the conversation. I will also tell a coach that we are only talking about that play. If he brings up the one last trip or my partner's calls, I emphatically tell him that we are not talking about that play and we have to move on. I also prefer having the conversation during live play (some can't talk and ref, I have found that I can) because live play will have built in conversation enders (whistle, transition, etc.)

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Nov 16, 2016, 02:04pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad View Post
I do this occasionally and it solves absolutely everything.
In more than 20 years of officiating, I have never heard a phrase that solves everything. There are no "silver bullets." I agree that saying "travel first" is the BEST THING TO DO IN THIS CIRCUMSTANCE, but most of us have worked for an idiot coach who refuses to be reasonable no matter what is presented to him.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019