The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 03:14pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Is this a travel?

At our association meeting the other day we had this play discussed at our table. I was wanting some clarification, and I figured that this place is the best way to get it!

Here's the sitch: Player has the ball. Hasn't dribbled yet. Hasn't moved either foot off of the floor (he received a pass from his teammate and is standing before moving either foot). He goes up for a shot, and an opponent comes flying at him to attempt to block the shot. Seeing this, the shooter then takes the ball and throws it to the ground to start his dribble. Is this a travel, and if so could someone please give me a citation as I cannot find one anywhere in the books.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 03:17pm
Official Forum Member

It is a travel. I'm 100% on that, but I don't have my books so I can't provide the citation. Someone will for sure be along shortly though.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 03:24pm
In Memoriam

Case book play 4.43.3SitB

Rules 4-44-3(c) & 4-44-4(b)
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 05:24pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.
Really?
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

I'm doing this sans book, so I'm sure I'm up for correction, but..

When a player in possession of the ball picks up his pivot foot, he must pass or shoot prior to putting the pivot foot back to the floor... Dropping the ball to himself is not one of the two, so its a travel.

Don't have the book to quote, but it does matter if the defender touches it. I'm sure the offensive player can even throw the ball at the defender on purpose, much like one might experience on inbound (though this might result in a T). Is there any provisions that prohibit the offensive player from throwing the ball against a defensive player on purpose? I think its a deflected pass, intentional or not.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 06:55pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

smginnis, that's how I'd rule it. A defender touching the ball in this case effectively ends player control and the would-be shooter gets a fresh start.
Old Sun Jan 17, 2010, 08:43pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
smginnis, that's how I'd rule it. A defender touching the ball in this case effectively ends player control and the would-be shooter gets a fresh start.
A touch by the defender does not automatically end player control.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 12:18am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
A touch by the defender does not automatically end player control.
True, but a defender touching a ball that is not in the control of someone does, IMO. Unless you can show me where the rules say definitively otherwise on this play.
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 01:35am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
True, but a defender touching a ball that is not in the control of someone does, IMO. Unless you can show me where the rules say definitively otherwise on this play.
I was looking at the OP. In the case of the block attempt, if the defender touched the ball, which was then subsequently dropped by the shooter, as opposed to knocked free, this would be a travel.

In this second play, if the throw was not a bullet aimed at the defender's, uh, vulnerable areas, I guess we just rule it to be an errant pass and play on.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Jan 18, 2010, 11:22am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I was looking at the OP. In the case of the block attempt, if the defender touched the ball, which was then subsequently dropped by the shooter, as opposed to knocked free, this would be a travel.

In this second play, if the throw was not a bullet aimed at the defender's, uh, vulnerable areas, I guess we just rule it to be an errant pass and play on.
I was reading the OP differently. A1 jumps, sees it's going to be blocked, and drops the ball. The ball then touches or is touched by B1. A1 then retrieves it.