The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Travel or not? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/101831-travel-not.html)

Nevadaref Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:33pm

Travel or not?

Question on which I would like the opinions of the folks here.

A2 and A3 jump for a defensive rebound. While both are airborne A2 catches the ball and A3 bumps into him. A2 is off balance and lands on his butt. A2's feet didn't touch the floor until after he landed on his backside.

Do you whistle a travel at this point or do you allow A2 to land on his butt because his feet never touched the court?

SNIPERBBB Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:51pm

I believe at one point there was a case play on it that has since gone away. IIRC, it was legal.

SC Official Mon Nov 14, 2016 09:54pm

NFHS: You cannot touch the floor with any part of the body other than the hand or foot while holding the ball.

4.44.5 Situation A (2013-14 Case Book)

Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? RULING: Yes in both (a) and (b).

NCAA-M: Nothing in the rules about touching the floor with something other than the hand or foot. Falling to the playing court without maintaining a pivot foot is a violation. If the player falls to the court without the foot ever touching, I don't believe that would be a violation.

bob jenkins Tue Nov 15, 2016 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 993020)
NFHS: You cannot touch the floor with any part of the body other than the hand or foot while holding the ball.

4.44.5 Situation A (2013-14 Case Book)

Is it traveling if A1 falls to the floor: (a) while holding the ball; or (b) after being airborne to catch a pass or control a rebound? RULING: Yes in both (a) and (b).

NCAA-M: Nothing in the rules about touching the floor with something other than the hand or foot. Falling to the playing court without maintaining a pivot foot is a violation. If the player falls to the court without the foot ever touching, I don't believe that would be a violation.

Same for NCAAW -- but there is that confusing case to the effect that "it's traveling because it's virtually impossible to fall to the floor without moving the pivot foot."

What if the player gets the ball and then rises, without moving the pivot foot?

RefsNCoaches Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:55am

Sounds like that one is gonna hurt!:eek:

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Nov 15, 2016 04:15pm

It is traveling under all three rules sets: NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's. This has been traveling going back prior to the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees. Nothing in the definition of Traveling has changed going back over well over 55 years.

It is, however, legal under FIBA Rules if my memory serves me correctly.

MTD, Sr.

soadyp Tue Nov 15, 2016 06:44pm

Ok under FIBA

25.2.3. A player falling, lying or sitting on the floor:

• It is legal when a player falls and slides on the floor while holding the ball or, while lying or sitting on the floor, gains control of the ball.
• It is a violation if the player then rolls or attempts to stand up while holding the ball.

Raymond Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 993075)
It is traveling under all three rules sets: NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's. This has been traveling going back prior to the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada split into the NFHS and NCAA Men's Rules Committees. Nothing in the definition of Traveling has changed going back over well over 55 years.

It is, however, legal under FIBA Rules if my memory serves me correctly.

MTD, Sr.

There is nothing in the current NCAA-Men's rule or case books that make the OP's play a travel.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 16, 2016 01:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993125)
There is nothing in the current NCAA-Men's rule or case books that make the OP's play a travel.

NCAA Mens Rule Book: Rule 9, Section 5, Art. 7. It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

Raymond Wed Nov 16, 2016 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993133)
NCAA Mens Rule Book: Rule 9, Section 5, Art. 7. It is traveling when a player falls to the playing court while holding the ball without maintaining a pivot foot.

There was no pivot foot to maintain in this play.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 16, 2016 02:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993149)
There was no pivot foot to maintain in this play.

Exactly. The player didn't meet the requirements to avoid the travel. To avoid a travel when falling, the player must maintain a pivot foot. Not having one, the player clearly didn't maintain one. Therefore, the player traveled.

Adam Wed Nov 16, 2016 03:05pm

NFHS, this is a travel. I'd have to double check the wording tonight, but touching the floor with anything other than the feet or hands is a travel. The exception is when a player gains control of the ball while already on the floor. An airborne player who gets control prior to falling does not qualify for the exception, so it's a travel.

Raymond Wed Nov 16, 2016 03:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993150)
Exactly. The player didn't meet the requirements to avoid the travel. To avoid a travel when falling, the player must maintain a pivot foot. Not having one, the player clearly didn't maintain one. Therefore, the player traveled.

Maintain means you've already attained or gained something. You can't maintain something you never had.

Camron Rust Wed Nov 16, 2016 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 993156)
Maintain means you've already attained or gained something. You can't maintain something you never had.

Exactly. And that means it is a travel since it required to maintain a pivot foot when falling to the floor in order for it to not be a travel. It is impossibe to mee the requirement if there is no pivot foot to be maintained.

Raymond Wed Nov 16, 2016 06:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 993164)
Exactly. And that means it is a travel since it required to maintain a pivot foot when falling to the floor in order for it to not be a travel. It is impossibe to mee the requirement if there is no pivot foot to be maintained.

In order to maintain a pivot foot one must first establish one. Once they fall to the floor they can establish a pivot foot and have to maintain it if they want to get up.

The travel rule for college and high school are not the same. They are written differently and are interpreted differently.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk