The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

travel or not

I seen it in a ncaa tournament game, Packer made a comment about simultainious possesion as far as traveling is concerned . Which brings to mind,
that when A1 and B1 are fighting for possesion and before I blow for Jump Ball their feet are moving. I don't consider a traveling call, because there isn't possesion.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 01:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenL.nation View Post
I seen it in a ncaa tournament game, Packer made a comment about simultainious possesion as far as traveling is concerned . Which brings to mind,
that when A1 and B1 are fighting for possesion and before I blow for Jump Ball their feet are moving. I don't consider a traveling call, because there isn't possesion.
There is possession, but I'd go with a held ball. Alternatively, if A1 and A2 are fighting over the ball and even one of them travels, it's a violation.
Old Fri Mar 19, 2010, 02:04pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
There is possession, but I'd go with a held ball. Alternatively, if A1 and A2 are fighting over the ball and even one of them travels, it's a violation.
And further, if Packer said it, I'd go with the opposite position. If I wanted to be correct, that is.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Now if A1 and B1 are holding the ball and it's too soon to call jump ball,where is the possession and who has it.
In the effort to secure possession, either A1 or B1 shuffle their respective feet. I don't consider this a travel, I have been allowing it on the premise that it's like a lose ball, and can't find anything in the rule book addressing this.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Now if A1 and B1 are holding the ball and it's too soon to call jump ball,where is the possession and who has it.
In the effort to secure possession, either A1 or B1 shuffle their respective feet. I don't consider this a travel, I have been allowing it on the premise that it's like a lose ball, and can't find anything in the rule book addressing this.
How is it "too soon?" There's no time requirement; I would consider it a held ball if they can't get it loose without traveling or forcing the other player to travel.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 02:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
NFHS rule 4-43-"Traveling(running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction while holding the ball.". That rule then goes on to define the allowable foot limits.

If you aren't holding the ball, by definition you can't travel.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 02:46pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
NFHS rule 4-43-"Traveling(running with the ball) is moving a foot or feet in any direction while holding the ball.". That rule then goes on to define the allowable foot limits.

If you aren't holding the ball, by definition you can't travel.
His scenario has them holding the ball, so he has to make a choice between a travel and a held ball.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 03:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
His scenario has them holding the ball, so he has to make a choice between a travel and a held ball.
His scenario was ..quote-"in an effort to secure POSSESSION....-unquote.

If two opposing [players are both holding the ball, you can't have a travel by rule. That option is out.

You also can't have two players trying to secure possession if they both already have possession. And you can't have a held ball until/unless both players have dual possession of the ball.

And you know all that.

I'm just going by what the original poster writ, and I'm not sure that he understands what he's trying to ask. That's what I'm trying to ascertain.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 03:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
His scenario was ..quote-"in an effort to secure POSSESSION....-unquote.

If two opposing [players are both holding the ball, you can't have a travel by rule. That option is out.

You also can't have two players trying to secure possession if they both already have possession. And you can't have a held ball until/unless both players have dual possession of the ball.

And you know all that.

I'm just going by what the original poster writ, and I'm not sure that he understands what he's trying to ask. That's what I'm trying to ascertain.
I'm not sure he understands either, but in his first sentence (the one you initially cut out), he says A1 and B1 are both holding the ball. Sure seems like dual possession to me.

By "trying to secure possession" I thought he meant "trying to rip it away from the opponent." I could be wrong, though.

Last edited by Adam; Sat Mar 20, 2010 at 03:35pm.
Old Sat Mar 20, 2010, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure he understands either, but in his first sentence (the one you initially cut out), he says A1 and B1 are both holding the ball.
Ah....that's a held ball...whether he likes it or not.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Mar 23, 2010, 08:36pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I seen it.....
I hope you're quoting Packer here.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

thanks for the input,
I was just trying to clarify a situation that happens a lot in games that I work.
Usally a lose ball, when opposing players grab the ball. I'll allow a split second for one of the players to gain posession, then I blow for held ball.
But in that instance can there be traveling.

Last edited by KenL.nation; Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 09:36am.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 10:39am
In Memoriam

Quote:
thanks for the input,
I was just trying to clarify a situation that happens a lot in games that I work.
Usally a lose ball, when opposing players grab the ball. I'll allow a split second for one of the players to gain posession, then I blow for held ball.
But in that instance can there be traveling.
If one player gains player control(holding the ball), then that player can be called for traveling only if the traveling occurs before their opponent ties him up.
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There's no way this happened.

Packer is no longer with CBS
Old Wed Mar 24, 2010, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

It wasn't Packer it was Rafferty
He called it simultaneous possession

Last edited by KenL.nation; Wed Mar 24, 2010 at 07:00pm.