The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:15pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Me too (I got the question wrong). Worst refresher exam question in IAABO history.

IAABO Refresher Exam 2005: Question 73. Squad member #45 missed the bus and is not present at the time the squad list and starting lineup must be submitted for team members. During the pregame warmup, the referee counts eleven team members of team A but while checking the book team A has twelve team members listed. Referee informs the coach that the squad member who is not present may not be placed in the book even if he/she will get to the game late. Is the referee correct? Answer: Yes Rule Citation: Rule 3, Section 2, Article 1; Rule 4, Section 34, Article 4

I know that IAABO isn't the official interpreter of NFHS rules, but is the interpretation based on existing NFHS rules, independent of IAABO, maybe not in the case above, but maybe with a injured kid not in uniform on the bench (this is the kid whose name my partner had erased)?

3-2-1: At least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time, each team
shall supply the official scorer with the name and number of each team member
and designate the five starting players. Failure to comply results in a technical foul
(see 10-1-1 Penalty).

So, who's a team member?

4-34-4: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in uniform and is eligible to become a player.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Nothing in those definitions says they have to be present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
That is the key. If some overly officious official wants to erase names from the book, then so be it. But if that player is later sent to the table to report in to the game, there is no penalty AS LONG AS THAT PLAYER'S NAME AND THE CORRECT NUMBER WAS PROPERLY PROVIDED TO THE SCORER PRIOR TO THE 10 MINUTE MARK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Seriously? Did you read post #14 in this thread by BillyMac?

NevadaRef:

Yes, I did read Billy's post (Post #14), and I also remember that question from the 2005 IAABO Refresher Exam and as an IAABO member then and now, I said that the answer in the answer list was not correct, because as there is nothing illegal for a team to have more names in the scorebook than team members in uniform. And, no R can remove names from the scorebook.

Lets address IAABO. What I am about to write I have written before so the old hands will have to bear with me. I am an engineer by profession and a structural engineer by specialization.

We have engineering organizations that represent all engineers and three organizations come to mind: National Society of Professional Engineers (including its State and Local chapters), The Order of the Engineer (U.S.) and The Ritual Calling of the Engineer (Canada). We engineers also have specialization organizations such as ASCE (civil engineers), ASME (mechanical engineers), IEEE (electrical engineers), and the Structural Engineers Association of California, to name a few. These organizations provide continuing educational opportunities for its members as well as advocate for the profession.

The equivalent organizations for sports officials are: professional organizations: NASO and the NFHS Officials Assn.; specialization organizations for basketball: IAABO, CaliforniaBOA, and the various LBOAs and StateBOAs across the country. Sport officials organizations do the same for sports officials.

We as sports officials should be looking at our organizations as vehicles to improve our profession both individually and as a whole. They provide a gateway for officials to become more involved in their profession.

Alright, time for me to go to bed. Good night all.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
From games last Friday...

C Team (freshman) game and JV game going on at the same time in adjacent gyms. Player is playing first half of C team game and second half of JV game. So he is listed in both books.

According to BillyMac's partner, we would have to erase his name from the JV book since he is not warming up with them. And then we would have to issue a T for adding his name to the JV book in the second half.

Good luck with that.
That's because the NFHS rules are written for high school varsity contests, not to cover situations involving kids participating in multiple subvarsity games. It says so on the very first page of the NFHS rules book.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2016, 11:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid Homophones ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
But a piss poor example of an English teacher.
That's on me. I'd like to blame spell check, but I'd be lying.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 07:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Eastshire: You've seen this before, with multiple colleagues? So this really isn't an exercise in counting angels on the head of a pin?
Certainly more than one. It is very common among scorers. They always want to strike non-present players. I would say that in about a third of my games I tell a scorer it's not necessary to scratch out a non-present player. I do work exclusively sub-varsity, so perhaps that's a factor.

The referees who want to scratch players tend to be old-timers or older new referees with the "that's how it was done when I played" mind set.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 09:00am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post

The referees who want to scratch players tend to be old-timers or older new referees with the "that's how it was done when I played" mind set.
They are usually also guys who would better served if they spent more time on positioning and play-calling.
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 02:18pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
That's because the NFHS rules are written for high school varsity contests, not to cover situations involving kids participating in multiple subvarsity games. It says so on the very first page of the NFHS rules book.
Except that in our state, all HS contests follow NFHS rules and procedures unless the WIAA has a noted exception (shot clock for example).
Old Wed Jan 27, 2016, 02:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Except that in our state, all HS contests follow NFHS rules and procedures unless the WIAA has a noted exception (shot clock for example).
That is how it is with most of us that work in our state. We have some amendments to the uniform rule because of all the uniform problems with had in our state.

Peace