The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Is this in the book?... (must be on bench by 2nd quarter)

At my daughter's game last night where I was keeping the book. NFHS varsity girls, private schools. Officials from a different chapter... One of our players didn't make it to the game until halftime. (For religious reasons, she can't participate in anything on Saturdays until after sundown, so this is likely to come up again.)
She was in the book, though, from the start of the game.
The U comes over and says that, by rule, she had to be there by the start of the 2nd quarter to be an eligible player, and that playing her would result in the game being a forfeit in the books.
Even though a rule is a rule is a rule... I'll give you the added background that this game had long been decided already as my daughter's team was being lapped by the other team, even by halftime.

I did not have my rule book with me at the game, but I did jump around through it once I got home late last night (and will again after I post this). If that's in the book, I cannot find it.
Can you help confirm or deny?...

Much thanks.

(p.s., coach went ahead and put her in for most of the 4th, since the game wasn't close, but this girl would've had to sit to avoid a forfeit if the game had been more competitive.)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

It's not an NFHS rule. It might be a state / league rule.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Never Heard of That One

As far as I know as long as she's in the book she can participate. For that matter if the coach is willing to eat the T then she's in as well.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

For added clarification: Texas (can't find it anywhere in the U.I.L. pages)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
I agree with Bob: this is NOT an NFHS rule or requirement.

I suggest that you e-mail or call the state association and ask for clarification. I would be astonished if they were unwilling to accommodate your student's religious reasons for delaying participation. Ideally, they would send you a letter, which you could show officials who were making stuff up.

Then, put her in a game. If the officials forfeit the game, then they'll have to deal with the state association.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 12:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Unless there's some sort of league rule, this is an example of some official somewhere (not necessarily these guys) pulling a ruling out of his arse. If there is a league rule, they'd better be able to show some compelling reason for adding it or they're looking at potential litigation (it seems).

Question for Lukester: would her religion permit her to sit on the bench until the Sabbath is over (sundown). I'm assuming she's Jewish, but I don't know how the requirement works.

And yes, I'd take this issue to the state as well as contact the chapter to which those officials belong; ask them very specifically where this requirement is written.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukester View Post
There is no U.I.L. provision that states a player must be there by the second quarter.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:05pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There has been some discussion here on the Forum in regard to an IAABO Refresher Exam question a few years ago about that seemed to imply that if a player is not physically present, then they can't be listed on the roster in the official scorebook. If I recall, this generated a lot of controversy, among both IAABO members, and non IAABO members.

Even if this IAABO Refresher Exam "ruling" is correct, and I'm not sure that it is, the players name can be added to the scorebook at any time at the expense of a technical foul:

Three scorebook situations: adding a name to the team roster, changing a name or a number in the official scorebook, and/or having a player change a uniform number, are penalized with a team technical foul when they occur, after the ten minute time limit. These infractions occur when the scorer is advised to add to or change the official scorebook. The foul must be charged when it occurs and enforced when the ball next becomes live. Once the ball becomes live, after such changes have been made to the scorebook, it is too late to penalize.

After the ten minute time limit a team is charged with a maximum of one technical foul regardless of how many infractions of the following are committed: changing a designated starter, adding a name to the team member list, requiring the scorer to change a team member’s or player’s number in the scorebook, requiring a player to change to the number in the scorebook, and/or having identical numbers on team members and/or players.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Question for Lukester: would her religion permit her to sit on the bench until the Sabbath is over (sundown). I'm assuming she's Jewish, but I don't know how the requirement works.
Usually the issue is driving (or being driven) somewhere, as observant Jews won't use powered devices during Shabbat. Doing so is often interpreted as falling under the prohibition of working.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:10pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Usually the issue is driving (or being driven) somewhere, as observant Jews won't use powered devices during Shabbat. Doing so is often interpreted as falling under the prohibition of working.
Thanks, I was thinking in terms of participating in the actual game, but the travel restrictions would certainly prevent my half-baked work-around from working.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Thanks, I was thinking in terms of participating in the actual game, but the travel restrictions would certainly prevent my half-baked work-around from working.
No baking either.

Unless you have a personal or professional interest in The Law, I don't see why anyone would expect you to know about this.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
No baking either.

Unless you have a personal or professional interest in The Law, I don't see why anyone would expect you to know about this.
Personal interest, really, in understanding the intricacies of various religions.
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 01:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Missed The Bus ???

Check 'em out:

NCAAW Rules

ruling please.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

There are other religions with similiar beliefs regarding the Sabbath, not just Judaism.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Nov 14, 2010, 02:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
There are other religions with similiar beliefs regarding the Sabbath, not just Judaism.
True, but the only other one that observes the Sabbath on Saturday I'm aware of is Seventh Day Adventist.